New Phantom Owner w/ FPV Questions

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just picked up my phantom yesterday. had a couple quick flights today with my single stock battery and i'm hooked. I already have the zenmuse gimbal and 12v quick charger. Today I purchased a case and some extra hyperion and dji batteries.

So here's my question. I plan to shoot offroad racing cars in the sand dunes and remote jungle areas for my business. Mainly youtube type stuff. Nothing is going to be great distances away. Pretty much always well within plain sight (<100 yards). I am interested in FPV to get a better idea of what exactly the camera is capturing "live". I have looked into the fatshark systems and seen a couple others. I know the goggles seem to be the option of choice for dedicated on board viewing, but i feel like most of what i am shooting i would prefer to watch with my own eyes and glance at a monitor or screen just to make sure i am properly following an object and not cropping it out of the frame.

I also had an idea that for some of our racing events where it is not published live on TV, and from the pit or trailer area it can be very difficult to see any of the cars racing, would it be possible to feed live video to a large flat screen TV for an audience to watch? The races are very short so 5-10 minutes flight time (per session) would be ok... Would you use the go pro camera to capture footage or a stand alone camera? I have read enough about the 2.4gz wifi problems to know i dont want to stream footage through the go pro app to my smartphone. Does the fatshark support a system that basically converts it to 5.8gz and uses the gopro3hd to send video footage to a remote monitor source (smartphone, small monitor, tv, etc) From what i see the video is mediocre and not suitable for large displays.

Can the monitor display a quality picture/video that is smooth and not choppy or delayed? Hope that makes sense

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the newbie questions, i have spent alot of time researching online to try and learn as much as possible.

thanks in advance

mike
los angeles

Wow ! sounds like a lot of fun, but pretty ambitious stuff for a Phantom.

Since you are in L.A, perhaps you could call the guys at Aerial Media Pros, and get their input.

They are extremely helpful, and that is pretty much what their business is all about.

Audaciter said:

Since you are in L.A, perhaps you could call the guys at Aerial Media Pros, and get their input.

They are extremely helpful, and that is pretty much what their business is all about.

+ 1.

Live feed is possible but the Phantom will have issues with the weight of equipment you will need for Broadcast.
A larger platform may be needed and downlink system will be pricey if you want broadcast quality.

Flight times will be short.

The best way is to shoot it, do a quick in field edit the broadcast.

You could fly and shoot and have a editor standing by. You would need a handful of data cards.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

edunwody said:
Audaciter said:

+ 1.

Live feed is possible but the Phantom will have issues with the weight of equipment you will need for Broadcast.
A larger platform may be needed and downlink system will be pricey if you want broadcast quality.

Flight times will be short.

The best way is to shoot it, do a quick in field edit the broadcast.

You could fly and shoot and have a editor standing by. You would need a handful of data cards.

E

Sounds awesome but with the limitations of your battery due to the additional weight you'll be carrying, your flying time will be very limited. Consider also, that you'll be trying to follow the race to ensure great video capture and that too will consume an enormous amount of battery. I would definitely give it a try since you never know what will happen but be very careful of your time in the air. I've discovered that with the additionaly weight once the Phantom goes into it's final fail safe and starts coming down it comes down rather quickly since I'm assuming it was designed to come down based on it's initial weight out of the box not what it weighs now with my gimble. Good Luck, can't wait to see the video.

hey guys thanks for the replies. unfortunately today it seemed like i took a step back instead of forward.

I hooked up the zenmuse gimball per the online tutorial and when the phantom was powered up it would not respond. So figuring it needed an update, i connected the phantom USB cable and did a restore/update to the latest firware. Now the phantom goes through its initialization phase and wont stop flashing yellow/red. i am unable to reset the compass with the 10 flicks of gps/att mode.. the motors will not turn on either if attempted to fly in attitude mode. one positive thing is the gimball is reacting properly and very smooth when the phantom swings around by hand. i checked the compass parameters in the advanced software and all a,y,z are around 200 but the mod is also roughly 200-300. it seems as it should be around 1600 per DJI.. how do you change that?

any help would be appreciated.

In regards to the FPV, is this something that could work? it seems as though the go pro could broadcast HD quality to a monitor over the mediocre 5.8ghz, be it 7" or 42"? Am i missing something??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKMQhWZtNRg

I believe that downlink will only broadcast analog signal which means SD not HD.

E

Search yellow blink of death. Or something like that to clear up your after calibration lock up.

E

Regarding goggles vs. monitor: I use both, depending on the situation. If you are flying around at a relatively high altitude (above trees), capturing fast moving objects, the goggles are wonderful! You will love them.

However, if you are just hovering, or flying relatively slowly, I prefer to watch the Phantom with my eyes, and glance at a monitor for proper video composition. And yes, it is possible to use both at the same time. The goggles have an output to connect to a monitor.

well we are back up and flying. apparently there is a glitch in the latest firmware and thanks to Trent at dronefly.com he was able to send me a .pdf on how to properly fix. awesome service, never bought a thing from him and he took the time to help me out.. will definitely buy from him in the future.

What glitch?????

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

i was getting a compass error with flashing red/yellow lights and couldn't get the numbers to adjust or cooperate in the advanced settings (waving magnet, etc)

so tonight i had my first real flight filming.. got some great footage. then tried to get into a tight area with overhanging trees to film my son on his skateboard and drifted into a small palm tree leaf, and the phantom went down.. didnt seem like it was a bad crash but i'm getting code 25 and cant get rid of it.. so it looks like i have to take the nava controller out and wack in on the corner to free up the accelerometer... man these things are finicky. but lots of fun when they are working.

ghettosled said:
well we are back up and flying. apparently there is a glitch in the latest firmware and thanks to Trent at dronefly.com he was able to send me a .pdf on how to properly fix. awesome service, never bought a thing from him and he took the time to help me out.. will definitely buy from him in the future.
You need to post the PDF and do a sticky. Would help many folks around here.

E

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers