New phantom just arrived

Reaction score
Hi all,
First what a great forum, been lurking since mid march, ordered a p2v+ may 1st, and it arrived today. Since mid April I picked up a nano quad and a alias quad for practicing purposes, and have had a blast. That is my only rc experience. I am a profesional cameraman and have been working with robotic camera systems for about 5 years now (cam mate jibs, robocam(fletcher) and steadicam) so I have some real world experience with safely "flying" cameras, although they are attached to something on the ground.

I know this is covered, but maybe a sticky should be put up... Once getting the quad, what should the user do? Besides the obvious of charging all batteries and compass calibration what is the next step? Do I need to update firmware? Will my iPad be okay doing so or should hook up to a computer?

Thanks all
Kyle in fl

ZeroGravity said:
Hi all,
First what a great forum, been lurking since mid march, ordered a p2v+ may 1st, and it arrived today. Since mid April I picked up a nano quad and a alias quad for practicing purposes, and have had a blast. That is my only rc experience. I am a profesional cameraman and have been working with robotic camera systems for about 5 years now (cam mate jibs, robocam(fletcher) and steadicam) so I have some real world experience with safely "flying" cameras, although they are attached to something on the ground.

I know this is covered, but maybe a sticky should be put up... Once getting the quad, what should the user do? Besides the obvious of charging all batteries and compass calibration what is the next step? Do I need to update firmware? Will my iPad be okay doing so or should hook up to a computer?

Thanks all
Kyle in fl

Firstly DO NOT rebind anything. It should already be bound just fine from the factory. You must use a PC or Apple computer to download and install the assistant and driver (if using a PC, not needed for MAC). Install the software, connect the Phantom via USB (no props), turn it on (with gimbal clamp removed), check for newer firmware and update as needed if you wish. Turn on your controller and calibrate the sticks in the assistant. Also do an advanced IMU cal in my opinion.

Go outside, power everything up, do a compass cal, wait for GPS lock, take off quickly, hover at about 10 ft. and make sure everything is stable. Then do everything in the training manual. Twice. You will know what to do after that.

Hi guys, thanks so much,
Blacktracer I got your pm, but am unable to respond, I'm actually in windermere and would love to take you up on your offer.

first thing to do after all that?

Get a friend with a camera and have him/her record you and the drone so you have a 3rd party view of your phantom flying away to send to DJI :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie