New Phantom II motors and esc's

Reaction score
Hi,

I presently own a Phantom 1 and want to upgrade its' motors and esc's with the newly released Phantom II motors and esc's.
Does anyone know if these new components are compatible with the Phantom I? I wrote to DJI and they advised me that they weren't and suggested that I purchase a Phantom II. If not, why? Will I need to make any additional upgrades to my Phantom I in order to make the new motors and esc's compatible?

Thanks,
Mark

Hello Mark,

No you can't upgrade your Phantom 1 (all version, included the upgrade board) with Phantom 2 ESC because they have different connectors. They connect to the P2 board and not to the Flight Controller NAZA. But you can use the new Phantom 2 motors with the Phantom 1 ESC like I use the T-Motors with Phantom 1 ESC...

Hi Tobrouk,

Thanks, I see what you mean. Based on you response I googled the images of the two different esc's and noticed the extra cable attached to the Phantom 1 esc that connects into the NAZA and didn't see on the Phantom 2 esc. I have never replaced these motors what do you mean that I can use the Phantom 1 esc's like you used them for the T-motors? Is there special way I need to connect these new motors to the Phantom 1 esc's?

Since you are using the T-motors have you had a chance to compare their Technical Data with the new DJI motors? Is there any difference between the two motors?

Thanks,
Mark

The Phantom 2 ESC can be used with a P1. You have to change the connector, though. Also, the P2 has an extra pin to control the LEDs, which the P1 can't control.
You can connect the ESC directly to the Naza module. If you upgrade the mainboard to the P2 version, both these problems are solved.

Thanks CityZen for the suggestions. I will have to look into getting a new main board.

I wonder how many other Phantom 1 owners are going to upgrade their motors. I may be the only one. :)

Motor upgrades are a fairly common mod for the P1. Mine is currently running the full E300 propulsion system, and I'm thinking about updating that to the new 2312/9450 motors/ESCs/props to save some weight. If you switch ESCs to anything other than the P1 ESCs, you mainly have to deal with losing the red/green navigation lights.

Thanks ElGuano. Can I upgrade the motors without upgrading the esc's. I don't wont to get into switching out boards. If do end up switching the main the board will I still be able to use my batteries without spending the money on the new Phantom 2 batteries. Something I have be attempting to avoid since DJI introduced the Phantom 2.

It's the Naza module in the Phantom 2 that's looking for the "intelligent" battery chip.
re: changing motors: So long as the motors don't draw more current than the ESCs can provide, you don't have to change out the ESCs.
However, DJI has stated that their new Phantom motors require their newer ESCs without going into details.
I'm not sure if that's a mandatory requirement or "it just works better that way" kind of deal.

Lets say, for argument sake, that the esc's have to be change for an unknown reason in order the motors to work properly and better.

Is there any way of ensuring the navigational lights work without changing the main board(due to the extra pin)? If not and the main board needs to be changed are there any other changes that need to be made other then the battering connection?

I replaced my LEDs with custom Naza-mirrored orientation LEDs when I upgraded to e300 ESC's as well. It was nothing like that link you posted though, that's some serious engineering! Really impressive.

A motherboard replacement is probably the best way to go. You not IMU get use of the p2 ESCs, you also get CanBUS and gimbal control for free.

With the replacement of the motors, esc's and motherboard I might as well get the Phantom 2 shell to put all those things in and add this battering door to allow me to use a 5200 mAh 3s Lipo battering. It will also allow me to use two smaller batteries in parallel. I get to keep all my Lipo batteries and charge without having to re-invest into expensive Phantom 2 batteries and a new charger.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1831734 ... erialId=62

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr