New Phantom II Issues

Reaction score
My new Phantom with Zenmuse H3-2D arrived today.

Two issues I can't resolve.

1) the gimble unit is not keeping the GoPro 3+ Horizontal either during flight or when stationary. Any ideas?

2) when I take my hands off both controls the unit is both loosing and gaining altitude, but only by a few inches. It is also moving side to side slightly. More importantly it rotates in a circular motion?

3) is there really no software updates via Mac?

Any ideas on fixes for these most welcome.

Team J

TeamJ said:
My new Phantom with Zenmuse H3-2D arrived today.

Two issues I can't resolve.

1) the gimble unit is not keeping the GoPro 3+ Horizontal either during flight or when stationary. Any ideas?

2) when I take my hands off both controls the unit is both loosing and gaining altitude, but only by a few inches. It is also moving side to side slightly. More importantly it rotates in a circular motion?

3) is there really no software updates via Mac?

Any ideas on fixes for these most welcome.

Team J

1) Is the gimbal doing anything at all ? or is it just limp ? (When the phantom is powered up the gimbal becomes powered and is therefore difficult to move with your hand whereas it is limp when the Phantom is powered off) What symptom do you have ?

2) It will move around a little when hovering but it should not continuously drift off. I left mine "hovering" at 50 feet off the ground for 15 minutes and tracked its location by a separate GPS. It moved around within a 2 foot box. I think the official spec for consumer (non military GPS) is 6 feet ? You should not be rotating at all though....... did you do the calibration dance before you flew ?

3) You can download Phantom 2 Assistant Software v1.08 for Mac from the DJI website. I don't use a Mac so can't confirm or deny whether it works or not.

SARC said:
1) Is the gimbal doing anything at all ? or is it just limp ? (When the phantom is powered up the gimbal becomes powered and is therefore difficult to move with your hand whereas it is limp when the Phantom is powered off) What symptom do you have ?

2) It will move around a little when hovering but it should not continuously drift off. I left mine "hovering" at 50 feet off the ground for 15 minutes and tracked its location by a separate GPS. It moved around within a 2 foot box. I think the official spec for consumer (non military GPS) is 6 feet ? You should not be rotating at all though....... did you do the calibration dance before you flew ?

3) You can download Phantom 2 Assistant Software v1.08 for Mac from the DJI website. I don't use a Mac so can't confirm or deny whether it works or not.

I'm still new to this so someone correct me if I am wrong, but once the unit gets an initial GPS fix, it uses the IMU to hold it's position and attitude and not just the GPS alone. Commercial (non-precision, non-military) GPS accuracy is typically limited to about 20 to 30ft mostly because of atmospheric variations.

To the OP, I've read elsewhere that if you're P2 is hovering in circles, you may need to re-calibrate your compass. You may want to check the calibration of your IMU as well.

Do you have the go pro camera installed into the gimbal? Iv never tried it without the gopro installed but heard that you can burn out your motors doing so. Also the gimbal has a tiny light somewhere on the board. Make sure you see the red light on otherwide your not getting power to the gimbal.

TeamJ said:
when I take my hands off both controls the unit is both loosing and gaining altitude, but only by a few inches.

:lol: Your kidding right? A few inches :lol: Its not going to be rock steady, nothing is. If your talking a few feet then you might have an issue

The Mac software works fine.
There is still a PC only software for the remote controller.
Always, in my opinion, calibrate the compass at the location from where you are about to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl