New Phantom. Got a returned unit, and have old motors. Help.

It's pretty stupid these day to buy anything locally when you can buy online like Amazon and saved tons on taxes. You're looking at about $100 in tax saving here. I avoid paying tax on purchases of about $10000/yr I purchased online.

When you file your taxes you are supposed to report any "Untaxed Out-of-State Purchases" Then you would be required to pay a "Use Tax" in your state. When you say you avoid paying tax on purchases I assume that you mean you don't pay any tax, i.e. use tax or sales tax so congratulations you are committing tax fraud.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
so my output wattage is 143% higher than latest filing!!!
Your thinking is too linear. Radio doesn't work in linear calculations.

Transmitter power is only one of the dozens of factors that go into RF propagation calculations. Other factors include distance, altitude, fresnel zone interference, free-space loss, cable and connector losses, antenna efficiency and receiver sensitivity.

Since we're digital, the signal is either there or not. There is no in-between. Calculating radio range is serious equations, explanations, tutorials and other brain-hurting material from people who really know their stuff. (I spent a whole semester on this subject). The rule of thumb for all digital wireless systems is have at least 30% more power than you need with a minimum of 5 - 10 dB. This is called the System Operating Margin (SOM).

The difference in the SOM from 520mw to 746mw is negligible. It is from 12dB to 13.57dB according to calculations on Radiolabs.com and assuming everything else is constant. The difference in range would be measured in inches.

Reactions: Meta4 and Eric1084
When you file your taxes you are supposed to report any "Untaxed Out-of-State Purchases" Then you would be required to pay a "Use Tax" in your state. When you say you avoid paying tax on purchases I assume that you mean you don't pay any tax, i.e. use tax or sales tax so congratulations you are committing tax fraud.
Been doing this for years. I guess I owe about $10000 in back taxes. I'll get on that right away. ;)

Your thinking is too linear. Radio doesn't work in linear calculations.

Transmitter power is only one of the dozens of factors that go into RF propagation calculations. Other factors include distance, altitude, fresnel zone interference, free-space loss, cable and connector losses, antenna efficiency and receiver sensitivity.

Since we're digital, the signal is either there or not. There is no in-between. Calculating radio range is serious equations, explanations, tutorials and other brain-hurting material from people who really know their stuff. (I spent a whole semester on this subject). The rule of thumb for all digital wireless systems is have at least 30% more power than you need with a minimum of 5 - 10 dB. This is called the System Operating Margin (SOM).

The difference in the SOM from 520mw to 746mw is negligible. It is from 12dB to 13.57dB according to calculations on Radiolabs.com and assuming everything else is constant. The difference in range would be measured in inches.

I was mostly joking and just using a ratio of the numbers for fun...

Last edited:
Hey man, you are already known around here for spreading complete nonsense. It didn't take you long to destroy your reputation, so most of us know to shake our heads and ignore you. The problem is that we will soon have many new members who may not know that you are intentionally spreading incorrect information. We can't track your every movement to correct your disinformation, so hopefully asking you to just stop it will help some. Please just stop it.
Im a new member who is still waiting for my P3S to be delivered from adorama and that guy worried me im glad you guys said what you said about his ********.

It's pretty stupid these day to buy anything locally when you can buy online like Amazon and saved tons on taxes. You're looking at about $100 in tax saving here. I avoid paying tax on purchases of about $10000/yr I purchased online.

Funny, I didn't think I was stupid, thanks for correcting me.

I have a DJI P3P and I believe (from the previous pictures) I have the "old" motors. So far after over 11 hours 33 minute, 118,329', and 97 flights I see NO indication of any cracks!
What are the people doing to develop these cracks.....hot dogging?

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

nocrack1.jpg

nocrack2.jpg

nocrack3.jpg

nocrack4.jpg

You are 100% guaranteed to develop cracks with the old motors. Return it immediately, tell them you received a used item and you paid for new. They may offer a discount refund. It's up to you to decide. Weather you receive a new motor is a different question. You are guaranteed new motor (and 100% guaranteed no cracks) if you purchase directly from DJI.
You dont know what youre talking about.

I would also like to say that I have had my p3 advanced since May and have no cracks whatsoever - (not withstanding an almost catastrophic flyaway in June) . Love the bird and have kept up with all the upgrades with no issues whatsoever.

My take is: if the box was opened and bird looks "used" send it back and get peace of mind

I would also like to say that I have had my p3 advanced since May and have no cracks whatsoever - (not withstanding an almost catastrophic flyaway in June) . Love the bird and have kept up with all the upgrades with no issues whatsoever.

My take is: if the box was opened and bird looks "used" send it back and get peace of mind

What happened in June?

I was doing high altitude shots of my coal loading rail siding all day ( have 5 batteries ) and filming train loading techniques. I decided to do a night shot of the train before it left and went through my pre flight routine .

I did auto take off and the minute it lifted off, it went beserk and went on a 4 km flyaway . I gave it height and had zero control of the bird just could see the lights in the horizon moving all over the place as I was trying to get control . Did a return to home and as it eventually got above me , disappeared again . Was panicking but set it to manual and got her back . Turns out that the ballasts on the siding lights set the bird off . All good

You are 100% guaranteed to develop cracks with the old motors. Return it immediately, tell them you received a used item and you paid for new. They may offer a discount refund. It's up to you to decide. Weather you receive a new motor is a different question. You are guaranteed new motor (and 100% guaranteed no cracks) if you purchase directly from DJI.
Stop spreading misinformation and getting people all worried. You are 100% wrong . I have the old motors and old shell and it's in perfect condition . I have over 1.7 million ft on her and it's just as great as the day I bought here .

I was doing high altitude shots of my coal loading rail siding all day ( have 5 batteries ) and filming train loading techniques. I decided to do a night shot of the train before it left and went through my pre flight routine .

I did auto take off and the minute it lifted off, it went beserk and went on a 4 km flyaway . I gave it height and had zero control of the bird just could see the lights in the horizon moving all over the place as I was trying to get control . Did a return to home and as it eventually got above me , disappeared again . Was panicking but set it to manual and got her back . Turns out that the ballasts on the siding lights set the bird off . All good
Amazing. You got great nerves. I would have lost all hopes of getting it back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers