New Phantom. Got a returned unit, and have old motors. Help.

Reaction score
I just received my Phantom 3 Professional that I ordered from Adorama on Black Friday. Upon opening the box, everything seems fine. Except... The outer box is dirty(Probably from storage). So I thought 'Okay. That doesn't mean anything'. And I opens the box. Start charging the controller. After 3 hours, I decide to take a look and see if it is fully charged, then I can move on to charge the battery. Then I noticed..... Old Motors, and old shell. And for some strange reason, the motors doesn't have the 'safety sticker' on them. And I realized this is probably a returned unit.The accessory and charger box have clear evidence it had been opened, and put back together. Now I have packed everything packed back exactly the way it arrived. Now, should I return it, and ask for a replacement? The opened box doesn't really bother me, as the phantom still looks like it had never been flown. But I have heard that old motors causes cracks. And Adorama basically gives no support similar to DJI except for the first 30 days. I don't want to wait the the cracks appears, and then I would have to send it in (to China) for replacement, and probably pays a huge repair cost. And Adorama's return policy is kind of worrying. According to their return policy, they will deduct the original shipping fee. Is the motors really a huge deals and worth my effort? How do I make sure so the replacement will have the new motors, and not a returned unit?
Thanks everyone.

If you ever have issues with it in the future you will probably blame yourself for not getting a replacement. If all it will cost is a shipping fee, it might be worth it if the next one is actually new in the box.

Reactions: Dounin Front
If you ever have issues with it in the future you will probably blame yourself for not getting a replacement. If all it will cost is a shipping fee, it might be worth it if the next one is actually new in the box.
OK. I guess I will just give them a call tomorrow, and see if there is any way to make an exception and void the shipping fee(I doubt it, but will worth a try). But how do I make sure the replacement comes with the new motors? By the way, Thanks for your prompt response.

DJI for no reason has created a confusion in minds of people by introducing new motors half way. They never claim new motors have better performance but only few are believing it.

DJI for no reason has created a confusion in minds of people by introducing new motors half way. They never claim new motors have better performance but only few are believing it.
I am not worried about performance, etc. I just want nothing to break. Plus, i have heard the shells are also reinforced. Maybe just getting a replacement simply just gives me peace of mind that if anything goes wrong, it could have been avoided if I had replaced it. And the one I got is an opened box one. So that is also slightly worrisome.

Very true, old or new, it will preform fine. They did the same in the P2 series.

This was posted on DJI's Official support page on Facebook

DJI Support - FAQ#2 Phantom 3 old and new motors... | Facebook

Q:Why the phantom that was bought few month ago and the one was purchased recently have different motors?
What the difference between the old and new motors?

A:New motors 2312A 800KV are a little bit more powerful than old 2312 960KV ones.
New 2312A motors are more stable and balanced compare to the old ones. With new 2312A aircraft efficiency is increased by 7% which can push the flight time to 1 -2 minutes longer.

Since the design of the motors was changed, and there is no way to use the metal range to take off the propellers anymore, the old range was changed to a new propeller removal clamp.

Great. I never saw it on official DJI site. If the above is correct, why would any one buy P3 with old motors? This is called digging your grave yourself.

Mine arrived today form newegg also bought on Black Friday, no signs of open box but it is the old motors. I am trying to find the model number and build date. I don't think I could wait for a new one to ship, been dying to fly it for so long. Still researching but I think the older version had a higher FCC wattage, so it my have greater range and less reception issues. Of course, I many only be thinking that to make me happy with the old motors...my friend ordered a few hours after me same deal...will see which motors he got and post back...

This was posted on DJI's Official support page on Facebook
DJI Support - FAQ#2 Phantom 3 old and new motors... | Facebook
Q:Why the phantom that was bought few month ago and the one was purchased recently have different motors?
What the difference between the old and new motors?

A:New motors 2312A 800KV are a little bit more powerful than old 2312 960KV ones.
New 2312A motors are more stable and balanced compare to the old ones. With new 2312A aircraft efficiency is increased by 7% which can push the flight time to 1 -2 minutes longer.
This is simply marketing spin, trying to make the new motors seem even better for new buyers.
It's also incorrect saying the new motors are more powerful - because they are less powerful than the originals.
But there's nothing there to suggest that there is any problem with the older motors or that the new ones are better.

But I have heard that old motors causes cracks ..... Is the motors really a huge deals and worth my effort? How do I make sure so the replacement will have the new motors, and not a returned unit?
Whoever told you that is misinformed. The original motors don't cause cracking at all.
The problem was that DJI's suppliers had a problem with bad batches of plastic or moulding technique which caused a small proportion of older shells to develop cracking.
The majority of phantoms with original motors haven't developed cracking at all.

I just took some photos of the box and the motor. Some of the photo are a bit blurry because I am using a gopro probably with incorrect settings. That is the old motor, right?
QRydvqb.jpg

OmgvaL5.jpg

pq4W6Ap.jpg

6ElWGRc.jpg

se0mYOQ.jpg

Mine arrived today form newegg also bought on Black Friday, no signs of open box but it is the old motors. I am trying to find the model number and build date. I don't think I could wait for a new one to ship, been dying to fly it for so long. Still researching but I think the older version had a higher FCC wattage, so it my have greater range and less reception issues. Of course, I many only be thinking that to make me happy with the old motors...my friend ordered a few hours after me same deal...will see which motors he got and post back...
I have one of the first release P3Pro's, no cracks and the old motors have been proven to be very durable and don't seem to lack power. I would not let the old motors or shell scare me at all. There have been reports of the new shells cracking also.

I just took some photos of the box and the motor. Some of the photo are a bit blurry because I am using a gopro probably with incorrect settings. That is the old motor, right?

Those are the old motors, or at least the same as mine. Was your transmitter wrapped up in plastic? Was there plastic on the battery near the button? What about the props, new ones have plastic around the center...were the seals on the box broken?

View attachment 36981

Here is a picture of new motors.
Yep, mine is definitely the old one. Some are saying it matters, some says it doesn't. I am just going to exchange it now just because it is an open-box return. And I will just tell them to ship a replacement with the batch that arrived most recently. It might matter, it might not. No one seems to have a definitive answer. But since I am getting a new one, might as well actually getting a new one, instead of a store return.

Yep, mine is definitely the old one. Some are saying it matters, some says it doesn't. I am just going to exchange it now just because it is an open-box return. And I will just tell them to ship a replacement with the batch that arrived most recently. It might matter, it might not. No one seems to have a definitive answer. But since I am getting a new one, might as well actually getting a new one, instead of a store return.

Darn it you are fueling my fire to return as well...

Those are the old motors, or at least the same as mine. Was your transmitter wrapped up in plastic? Was there plastic on the battery near the button? What about the props, new ones have plastic around the center...were the seals on the box broken?
1. Sort of, so no(The plastic looks ripped, I don't know how it is supposed to be like, but the plastic is just hanging there without sticking)
2. Yes
3. Yes
It looks like whoever bought it before took it out, and for some mysterious reason, returned it again. I assume it is because he discovered these are the older motors. And have the exact same thought as me.

I think I am going to take a page from my homebrewing and RDWHAHB (relax, don't worry, have a home brew)....but instead RDWFAP (relax, don't worry, fly a phantom)...

You are 100% guaranteed to develop cracks with the old motors. Return it immediately, tell them you received a used item and you paid for new. They may offer a discount refund. It's up to you to decide. Weather you receive a new motor is a different question. You are guaranteed new motor (and 100% guaranteed no cracks) if you purchase directly from DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4