New Phantom firmware 1.6

I live in the United States. Why do people want to fly higher than 500m? Because they want to fly above the skies. It's just cool as hell. As for the altitude restriction / speed limit, I treat them as recommendations or suggestions. I know what is safe or unsafe and its up to me to decide, not the govment. As an example, today when I tested the altitude test, I know there isn't any airports or airplanes nearby. So it's completely safe to fly as high as I want. Tomorrow I'm going to try to take pictures of the Camel Rocks, anybody heard of that?

I cannot believe someone just said this and being all serious... Commercial aircraft yes indeed flies at high altitude 29,000-41,000ft, but how certain can you be that there are no light aircraft? No gliders? No weather balloons? No advertisement blimps? No gyrocopters? No helicopters like medical choppers? No military aircraft flying or training? Most importantly, no aircraft in distress? Ie emergency, or explosive decompression which means they need to rapidly descend to at least 10,000ft to breath, or radio failure that will stop them from being able to communicate on frequency to report altitude/position?

What you're saying is VERY dangerous, rules are not guidelines, especially in aviation!!

I am not trying to start a flaming war, but to help to advice fellow drone pilots to keep the airspace disciplined and safe, even though I am not in USA :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know I'm new here but reading several post is seems that as the weather is getting colder people are reporting that they are experiencing sudden shut downs and drones falling from the sky. Now DJI releases an update that prevents the battery from shutting down in the cold weather. Maybe I'm stupid but it is cold here so I will update.

Same here. well not today but normally. Michigan

some dangerous attitudes on here. Remember, flying in the NAS is a privilege NOT a right. The rules set forth by the FAA are not guidelines, they are meant to control airspace and keep EVERYONE safe in the sky's.

And just because you are in the middle of no where, doesn't mean you don't present a flight risk. Case and point, I just few my family's company jet from SAT to AUS and we maintained 10k for most of the trip, we then descended to 5k, but we're still over free range land in the middle of no where. Someone with an arrogant attitude could easily fly at that altitude and strike the aircraft. At that point $1M in liability insurance wouldn't even begin to cover the loss of the aircraft (try 6 million for starters), not to mention the ensuing poop-storm of civil and criminal litigation raining down on you as a result.

A lot of you aren't pilots and just don't understand, but everyone operating within the NAS has to follow the rules, otherwise it doesn't work. If idiots continue to violate FAA rules for UAS, there will only be more regulations, rules and enforcement added. So, you're really only shooting yourself in the foot, by being defiant.

Have fun, enjoy flying, and most importantly, keep the sky's safe for everyone!
/rant

Did this fix the issue with phantoms falling out of the sky on partially discharged batteries, or is this fixing another cold weather issue all together? I'm still a noob, so I don't know all the issues yet.

I upgraded my remote control and aircraft to the latest. It took me some time and confusion because I have a P3A and the links on the dji.com site were misleading so I ended up trying to load the P3P firmware onto the P3A and that didn't work.

It seems to work well as I flew in 38-40 degree weather today. I didn't run the battery down though and stopped at roughly 50-60% left.

I don't have anything to compare it to though since this is a new copter so this was part of my initial setup. It was relatively easy to update though and works well.

just a question why would anyone need 5 phantoms??!!!
I currently have six , i've posted many times the best way to get over a crash or lost uav is to get your other one out and get flying! I've lost/crashed a few and never looked back

That's nice that they slow down my phantom so when I'm flying in windy conditions it will have a hard time making it back to me it looks like they did it also to the inspire 1 I hope they get this problem fixed the way I Read the release notes is that it will slow it down the colder it is outside at least that's what I'm hoping on.
I read the notes officially and posted versions and it does not say it is onlt slowed for or in cold weather!! It says that it slowed foward and accend period. Ive read a lot of peoples posts and then reread release notes and it seems its obvious there is a seperate sentence all on its own that says so.

I currently have six , i've posted many times the best way to get over a crash or lost uav is to get your other one out and get flying! I've lost/crashed a few and never looked back

I understand your thought, but 99% of us have one Phantom, don't care to whip out another and just fly after we crashed a expensive quad.

Reactions: dirtybum
Reactions: GadgetGuy
It's too bad DJI can't montitor and impose restrictions on those that act in such an irresponsible way with their Phantoms. Just reading through some of these posts makes me believe that many would no longer be granted permission to ever fly their Phantom again.

I read the notes officially and posted versions and it does not say it is onlt slowed for or in cold weather!! It says that it slowed foward and accend period. Ive read a lot of peoples posts and then reread release notes and it seems its obvious there is a seperate sentence all on its own that says so.

FlynFrank (who is a firmware beta test) states he's spoken to his contact at DJI who confirms the P3 is only slowed down when the battery is cold.

Actually, it's a right. See: 49 U.S. Code § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace, specifically paragraph (a)(2) "A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace..."

Citation: 49 U.S. Code § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
And I would guess that after only a few high visibility MR accidents this section will be strictly interpreted. I.E., you have a right to transit through the airspace system. Period. But playing with your little remote controlled toy in the airspace system hardly constitutes your own personal transit through said system.

But playing with your little remote controlled toy in the airspace system hardly constitutes your own personal transit through said system.
Actually it does. I'm just stating the law, but you are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
And I would guess that after only a few high visibility MR accidents this section will be strictly interpreted. I.E., you have a right to transit through the airspace system. Period. But playing with your little remote controlled toy in the airspace system hardly constitutes your own personal transit through said system.

It may be little, and it may be RC, but it's not a toy. I agree that flying high (> 500 ft AGL) without knowing what's around you is stupid.

However, that said, my P3P has just as much intrinsic right to be in the sky as a 747.

What I don't get, is why they don't just slap ADS-B into these things and call it a day. The sky is very large. Room for all craft, at all altitudes. They just need a safe and reliable system of avoiding each other.

Unfortunately, it's up to lawmakers to determine our "intrinsic rights". Too much bad press and we will, at best, find ourselves relegated to AMA certified fields only for recreational use. Business use, with appropriate licensing, certifications, etc allowed else where as part of the overall NAS.

And to that i've also replied before if you really love your phantom and the hobby, start saving now and get a backup even if a used one on ebay. Cause its not if but when that bird has flown its last flight, even if you and i have become the most careful, skilled, comfortable pilot. It just the nature of the hobby and alsays has been.

This is a problem because I lost some important functionality with the last updates and now cannot get it back even by reverting to the older version.
What important functionality did you lose?
I certainly don't want to lose any more functionality than I already have, which is why I am still holding off on updating further myself.

Last edited:
What I get out of that is the maximum speed is limited to certain speed regardless of temperature. Probably some arbritary number like 20mph.
Actually after download it seems to actually fly faster!, but then it was 81 degrees in E. Texas Christmas! don't know how it operates at low temperatures yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers