New Phantom but high filenumber on video

Reaction score
I have just swapped my Vision 2+ V2 for a V3 - they changed it because I kept losing sattelites when recording video. Thanks to this forum!!! It is much much more stable in crosswinds now and more responsive.

I noticed though that the first video I took was numbered DJI01944. Is this normal?

With my Vision2+ v2 the first ever video was DJI00001.

Does this mean that my new V3 has been used before?

I also have the worry now of the ESCs but that has been covered to death..........

Hi, I have just received a new V3 Vision Plus from DJI and the first number was DJI00949

I've had two new Phantoms in the last week. The first started at DJI00094, the second at DJI00349. How is this possible - are the cameras actually manufacturer refurbished returns?

Do we have to start a new list containing the startnr of a videofile of a brand new copter ?
Seems that DJI provides refurbished instead of brand new ones.
OMG are they really into scamming people ?
I've got a second camera that came on the second V+.
Haven't made a video with it, some nice project to do next.
Keep you posted on what nr it begins as it was one of the first V3 with the new camera design ( reinforced RVS camera mount ).

I suspect they are reusing cameras from returns. Not the end of the world as far as the camera itself is concerned - no moving parts. But what about the gimble? Not really on with the price on these things!
At first I thought - I can't be right - nobody can have taken 1944 videos - until i realised still photos get allocated the same numbers - wouldnt take long to take that many stills!

I just checked mine and it's 00006, I can't remeber if I deleted files but would that change the number or skip it?

No doubt there is something seriously messed up with using refurbished parts and not including at least a note/slip of paper in the box.

Also, didn't they just include a option in the v3.10 firmware that we can now rename video & image files?

That number is never skipped. If the last file number is 00006, that means you took 6 videos/photos so far.

Well I have just opened my phantom up - YES ESC 2.1. Was very easy to open except the **** stickers. How do you stick them back down properly?
Anyway not too bothered about the camera - it works - just a bit naughty thats all.

The camera on the V3 that i have since 5/12/2014 ( december 2014 ) starts @ 881.
It doesn't matter if you take a picture or video, the numbering goes likewise up.
The camera on the V2 i have started out with dji00001.mp4

Wibble said:
I suspect they are reusing cameras from returns. Not the end of the world as far as the camera itself is concerned - no moving parts. But what about the gimble? Not really on with the price on these things!
At first I thought - I can't be right - nobody can have taken 1944 videos - until i realised still photos get allocated the same numbers - wouldnt take long to take that many stills!

Was yours a replacement due to minor fault anyway?
It's probably allowed since the one you sent back had a period of use too.
I'm surprised they can't somehow reset to zero before sending out though.

I wouldn't be bothered if essentially your replacement is a refurbished one, at least that means it should be checked manually and all working. The new ones should work too but I don't suppose every unit is physically run on test.

Wibble said:
Well I have just opened my phantom up - YES ESC 2.1. Was very easy to open except the **** stickers. How do you stick them back down properly?

The best way is to lift them off properly, then they stick right back down. I used my wife's hairdryer set to high temp/low speed to warm up the stickers. As they warmed up one corner would start to lift and I used a #18 X-acto blade (Heavyweight Wood Chiseling blade) to tease up the flat portion at the bottom until I could get the blade under and lift it up enough to grab it with my fingers. You only need to peel it back about 1". You could also carefully use some blunt-tip (flat-nosed) tweezers if you're worried about getting skin oils on the adhesive. When pulled back 1" - 1 1/4" the stickers will remain lifted away from the surface till you're ready to put them back down.

Gary

phalcon51 said:
Wibble said:

The best way is to lift them off properly, then they stick right back down. I used my wife's hairdryer set to high temp/low speed to warm up the stickers. As they warmed up one corner would start to lift and I used a #18 X-acto blade (Heavyweight Wood Chiseling blade) to tease up the flat portion at the bottom until I could get the blade under and lift it up enough to grab it with my fingers. You only need to peel it back about 1". You could also carefully use some blunt-tip (flat-nosed) tweezers if you're worried about getting skin oils on the adhesive. When pulled back 1" - 1 1/4" the stickers will remain lifted away from the surface till you're ready to put them back down.

Gary

There is an alternative method to the above. Just simply slice the stickers at the shell seam with a very sharp exacto knife or razor blade. Then you can take it apart as many times as you want and not worry about the stickers.

First flight with a very recent serial (starting 646) and the filenumber was 97. I really doubt that these are "used" cameras. I think there is something else that is randomising these numbers.

BlackTracer said:
phalcon51 said:
Wibble said:

Gary

There is an alternative method to the above. Just simply slice the stickers at the shell seam with a very sharp exacto knife or razor blade. Then you can take it apart as many times as you want and not worry about the stickers.

Yes I wish I had done that - mine are buggered now - don't want the pink ones - blue not visible enough so will order some more off fleabay.
Had some awesome flights today around the Brecon Beacons - amazing. Cold and sunny - some snow still around and no wind. So so stable in the air. Bit scary flying it off a 400' drop but I will get used to it. Very hard to see against snow when you are above the quad though!

This is definitely interesting.
I had a P2V a P2V + and now the P2V+ v3.
Just went back and checked the files for all 3. The P2V and P2V + files all started at 00001 and the v3 started at 00332? Hmmm......
I'd also have to add that the camera on the v3 definitely has a less than impressive picture /video quality that the P2V + that I had prior. Poor enough that I'm actually considering contacting B&H or dji about it.

Mine was on pre-order from DJI. I got a shipping notice from Szechwan. Mine started at 1. It went to 2, 3, 4 and up from there. I can pull batteries, swap memory cards, smash it into trees, replace cameras and the wifi transmitter - it's never skipped a number. That counter is deep inside the drone's brain somewhere. If yours isn't starting at 1 - it's used.

rbhamilton said:
Mine was on pre-order from DJI. I got a shipping notice from Szechwan. Mine started at 1. It went to 2, 3, 4 and up from there. I can pull batteries, swap memory cards, smash it into trees, replace cameras and the wifi transmitter - it's never skipped a number. That counter is deep inside the drone's brain somewhere. If yours isn't starting at 1 - it's used.
Wouldn't this just be a kick in the nuts if dji is really just swapping out used phantoms with different parts and selling then as new units!!!
Looks like we need to dig deeper into this because I sure as **** didn't plunk out my $$ for a refurbished pos!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl