New Phantom 4 after even exchanged at the Apple Store update!!

Reaction score
So I was having video noise issues on my original Phantom4 purchase so I went in to my local Apple Store today for a even exchange and let me tell you guys, the video noise is now the least of my problems now. First thing right out the box I had firmware issues the controller did not want to update after the aircraft itself updated successfully, now I understand that this is a known issue I've seen in other forms. Next problem is the camera gimbal I've Noticed that it makes a weird grinding noise when starting up something my orginal Phantom also did not do. The next thing was that the packaging was different as well. This P4 did not have stickers on the front camera sensors like the first one did, next the LEDS on the battery are a much brighter green than the orginal battery which I find a little weird. So anyways I fixed the controller issue by downgrading the firmware using "DJI Assist" on my Windows computer and for some reason that allowed the controller to update because it kept giving me a network error message even thought my internet network was fine. Now, on the first flight, I noticed a huge decrease a very noticeable weaker video signal as well as the p4 drifiting much more then my first bird ever did?!?! I will update everyone as I learn more in tomorrow's test but as of now I have no confidence in this bird I might have to go exchange it again.
sweat.gif

New P4 same problem just less as bad then last bird.

Attachments

• IMG_20160413_222548.jpg
    IMG_20160413_222548.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 718
Last edited:
It hits alot harder on startup than my previous phantom. Exactly like yours.

But to see if you really have the noise, pick the phantom up and tilt the whole phantom up and down and side to side and see if you still hear the noise.

My second phantom also didnt have the covers on the front camera, and it cam with a panasonic sd card instead of a lexar.

Can you let me know how you go with moving the phantom around while its on, do you still hear the noise?

Also best to do an IMU calibration when its dead cold on a perfect level surface, my P4 is now rock solid.

But to see if you really have the noise, pick the phantom up and tilt the whole phantom up and down and side to side and see if you still hear the noise.

My second phantom also didnt have the covers on the front camera, and it cam with a panasonic sd card instead of a lexar.

Can you let me know how you go with moving the phantom around while its on, do you still hear the noise?

Also best to do an IMU calibration when its dead cold on a perfect level surface, my P4 is now rock solid.
Dude... we have exactly the same version of The Phantom. Okay let me try that for you I'll you know. Also I already calibrated every sensor.

Dude... we have exactly the same version of The Phantom. Okay let me try that for you I'll you know. Also I already calibrated every sensor.

IMU has to be dead cold, i.e put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. and then before you even turn the phantom on, have the menu open ready to go. As soon as you turn the phantom on calibrate.

Use a spirit level to ensure the surface it is on is dead level, both ways (back to front) and (left to right)

I put mine in front of an airconditoner in a bed room for 30 minutes, got it down to 18degrees in the shell. My fan didnt turn on till around the 70% calibration mark. and now my phantom is dead level and like never moves in the air.

Mine has since day one, and so it my buddy's lol. Let me know if you get a better version though, we can then address it to DJI.

Okay so I tilted the Phantom around I didn't hear any loud noises I just felt vibration coming from the gimbal.

I doesn't sound bad to me. Is it possible because you had a problem that your being to meticulous now? I mean, brighter LEDs? That's a plus, it's also a seperate component. I don't recall I think I had stickers, mine was bought at Best Buy though if that matters, I'm thinking it was certainly a second batch or later due to the time it took to stock them

Okay so I tilted the Phantom around I didn't hear any loud noises I just felt vibration coming from the gimbal.

ok now turn it off, and with your hand tilt your gimbal down and backup, you should hear the cable rubbing as well? if so then we have almost identical p4s.

Hows your horizon as well, my first was bad, my second (similar to urs) is perfect.

Also if you havnt formatted ur SD card, the folder dates on the SD card will tell when yours was made in the factory, mine was around the 17th.

My dad said they probably used stronger motor magnets which is why it hits a bit more than before, and hopefully that means it keeps a more straight level.

Reactions: PROJEFFREY11
IMU has to be dead cold, i.e put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. and then before you even turn the phantom on, have the menu open ready to go. As soon as you turn the phantom on calibrate.

Use a spirit level to ensure the surface it is on is dead level, both ways (back to front) and (left to right)

I put mine in front of an airconditoner in a bed room for 30 minutes, got it down to 18degrees in the shell. My fan didnt turn on till around the 70% calibration mark. and now my phantom is dead level and like never moves in the air.
Seriously all that? What does the code due to the IMU?

Seriously all that? What does the code due to the IMU?

Basically, the IMU needs more temperature range to get the best level. As it gets hotter metals in the IMU expand and it doesn't give a good range to calibrate.

The Phantom gets pretty hot fast i.e 30 degrees in the core, this is not good for calibration. So the colder the better. Some people leave it in the garage over night to cool right down.

Reactions: PROJEFFREY11
I doesn't sound bad to me. Is it possible because you had a problem that your being to meticulous now? I mean, brighter LEDs? That's a plus, it's also a seperate component. I don't recall I think I had stickers, mine was bought at Best Buy though if that matters, I'm thinking it was certainly a second batch or later due to the time it took to stock them
Possibly also I heard DJI is notorious for terrible quality control it's possible they changed material distributors which would explain the differences in the battery LEDs etc.

Basically, the IMU needs more temperature range to get the best level. As it gets hotter metals in the IMU expand and it doesn't give a good range to calibrate.

The Phantom gets pretty hot fast i.e 30 degrees in the core, this is not good for calibration. So the colder the better. Some people leave it in the garage over night to cool right down.

That's very interesting I had no idea thank you for the valuable information.

ok now turn it off, and with your hand tilt your gimbal down and backup, you should hear the cable rubbing as well? if so then we have almost identical p4s.

Hows your horizon as well, my first was bad, my second (similar to urs) is perfect.

Also if you havnt formatted ur SD card, the folder dates on the SD card will tell when yours was made in the factory, mine was around the 17th.

My dad said they probably used stronger motor magnets which is why it hits a bit more than before, and hopefully that means it keeps a more straight level.

I honestly don't know how good the Horizon is on the camera I haven't had the opportunity to fly during the day it's hard to tell during the night.

but i dont think yours is that bad, if it doesnt make a noise when you tilt the phantom 4 side to side and up and down and I mean tilt (dont ***** baby it around) then yeah yours isnt that bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1