New Phantom 3 video, what do you think.

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

maybe an nd filter will be required.

Nice vid...but looks like YT did a number on it...hard to tell, but looks like our old friend Mr Jello in there...mebbe it's my screen/PC....

Thoughts??

The props out of balance, heat waves off the desert rocks, we have seen so many shots that are jello free so it's some of the above.

Hmm looks like our old enemy jello to me. I had that with my P2V+ and I tried balancing the props but it was still there... hate it.

I didn't try an ND filter though! I will definitely try it if I see any jello on the P3...

I just don't know anymore, the more videos I see the more I'm thinking of waiting for the black magic micro and investing in something that will carry it

Looks a little too contrasty to me BUT I suspect that this guy did that in post. What I didn't see was the fish eye effect.

If this is what the video comes out like on the P3 it will be a deal breaker for me as the main thing I never liked about my p2v+ was the video quality was way behind the GP hero 3+ black. I was hoping the P3 would be right up there. I think I will wait a few weeks after its released to see what the video is like.

Im hoping this is a P2v+ video.

Mmmmm....Philip Bloom is a big fan of DJI and a professional film maker, I can't imagine that he would publish footage that looks of such a poor quality, I've seen footage from the P2 V+ that looks better. My gut feeling is that it's not genuine ....just my opinion.

Mmmmm....Philip Bloom is a big fan of DJI and a professional film maker, I can't imagine that he would publish footage that looks of such a poor quality, I've seen footage from the P2 V+ that looks better. My gut feeling is that it's not genuine ....just my opinion.

+1

Do you mean you think he introduced the jello effect in post?
No I don't think he induced jello, I think either the P3 camera or more likely his post production software put in too much contrast. If you look at the mountains in the distance (looking over the roads) the front side is all darkened out.

I think that often people post process in native resolution (in this case 4K) and use settings that can be handled well by, in this case, a 4K TV or monitor. When this same video is downscaled for use on youtube or others the settings appear exaggerated. I am not a fan of downscaling. Any conversion software has to make calculated guesses and compromises concerning each bit of information in a video. Some of my clients want DVD instead of Bluray and I hate when I have to do that.

On another thread, I took the position that 1080P 60 taken directly from the camera would look better than downscaled 4K video. That is certainly true on my equipment.

I think that the effect that we are observing here isn't true jello effect caused by viberation, I think it is the choppiness of our video players and or internet timing issues.

The algorythims used to compress video struggle much more when segments of the video is changing rapidly (for example a fast pan or tilt). If you watch the video carefully the effect that I am seeing is due to that and the still portions have none.

In conclusion, I am not sure we can determine how good the P# camera is by looking at an internet video. Unfortunately, that is all we have at the moment.
Just my opinion.

i use to get this sort of behaviour on my p2 gopro, it was mainly caused by the vibration from the phantom which i eliminated with a nd filter and taking the front two white balls out of the gimbal holes and suspending in place with a small thin cable tie.

Maybe we can get an answer from the source...

"Mr Bloom Sir

A video that was said to be yours
Has some questionable quality from the DJI Phantom 3.
Could you do a brief explanation of the shoot?
And verify for those looking and trashing DJI if in fact it was your video. I would assume you have a DJI P3 yet no examples are within your channel.

Thank you if you could help clear this up."

Last edited:
Maybe we can get an answer from the source...

"Mr Bloom Sir

A video that was said to be yours
Has some questionable quality from the DJI Phantom 3.
Could you do a brief explanation of the shoot?
And verify for those looking and trashing DJI if in fact it was your video. I would assume you have a DJI P3 yet no examples are within your channel.

Thank you if you could help clear this up."

Here here, Mr Floom with the upper most great respect you can't just dump crap like this and walk off, whats going on Mr Shroom I've got my children's inheritance invested in this:)

It seems more like heat shimmer. I wonder if the camera uses sensor stabilization for video. The Sony SLTs turn stabilization on by default for stills and off for video. It makes a big difference to stills but it may not be helpful for video.

Okay thanks "dhaslam" Heat Shimmer... I was looking for a word to describe this effect. Anyhow I came across a desert example of it. Now this is a bit more extreme than what we are seeing in Blooms video "if it is his" but with an open mind you can see how a more mild form of heat shimmer may appear to be the so called "jello" effect.

What's say the rest of you?

http://videohive.net/item/heat-haze-effect/2092519

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic