New phantom 3 pro

Reaction score
I just received my brand new phantom 3 pro and I am very exited to go out and fly it for the first time, I havent turn it on yet, my question is, do I go ahead and update the firmaware on the phantom and the remote before I do anything else or go ahead and power up everything and hook it up to my ipad, and go free there, please advise, thanks

PS I been flying rc planes and helis for many years, so the flying part should be easy, more concern with the initial setup

Before doing anything, you should download, read, and fully understand the Phantom manual. Next, you should install the DJI GO app and register your Phantom in the DJI GO app. After that point, you can update the firmware if you'd like. You are not required to update the firmware, but I would suggest you do it since the current versions are stable.

Others may have different opinion.

But I would do all the updates to the latest versions FW and iOS.

I am flying a P3P with all the latest FW and GOapp iOS 9.1 on an iPad mini2. I do dedicate iPad to flying the phantom only. I have no problem running my wifi only using my iPhone as hotspot to load maps, but flying i turn off everything except the GOapp (by switching to airplane mode) even if this is not really necessary it will help run the iPad cooler, and this can help on frame rate on the video feed.

You will find it ridiculously easy to fly the P3P compared to heli models. Have a great time, just break in the Lipos easy, just down to 50% on the first 5 flights or so. And fly slow not full power climbs etc. Flying these MRs is all about being very smooth. I turn the expo up all the way on all the axis and the gimbal as well and braking all the way down, this helps a lot on smoothness.

I always take off an land in atti and hover at 10' or so for a while then switch to GPS mode. It is ridicules how stable this MR is, you will love it even in gusty wind.

Let us know how it goes.

Already printed and read the manual several times while I waited weeks for the phantom to arrived and watched a bunch of how to videos, downloaded the app, have the ffirmware on my sd card ready to go.
So if I understad correctly do everytinin to the point that the Phantom is ready to fly and then go ahead and do the upgrade ??
Thanks for your help

Yes and have the props off during updates, don't forget to calibrate the compass w/o any metal around, in the middle of a lawn is best, no power lines or metal pipes underground or above you.

It is easier to do then you think.

Also if you can check the prop balances, if you have a balancer. If not plan on getting one. Though most DJI props are really good. 6 out of my 8 were perfect, 2 needed light sanding.

Another question, can I set up home lock at the beginning of a flight, then go fly and have it ready just in n case I need it later on the flight ??

Try it again :)

can I set up home lock at the beginning of a flight, then go fly and have it ready just in n case I need it later on the flight ??
No. You should only turn it on when you're ready to use it.

Any reason why you can have it ready ahead of time ?? Thanks

When you enable home lock, pulling back on the stick will always bring your Phantom toward you (no matter which direction it's facing). That is rarely something you want to do in flight -- unless you're really trying to bring it back home.

Makes sense, thanks

RTH height is very important to get the bird safely in emergency events.

I know the difference between home point and home lock...I prefer home lock since I have control of the Phantom

I know the difference between home point and home lock...I prefer home lock since I have control of the Phantom
It's not really a matter of preference. They are two entirely different features. If you don't have the home point marked, you cannot use the home lock feature. FYI.

Got it, set home point and then if I get disoriented I have two choices, set lock home and FLY the Phantom back to me or use the fly home future.

Don't count too much on the advanced features like GPS return home and all that stuff. Fly it like you would a heli or plane model. And use atti mode to get used to the MR. Then start messing with GPS and smart modes. But just get used to it first like you would a regular RC heli. keep it close and stay in clear visual contact and keep track of orientation. It is very easy.

The big difference is orientation is much harder because of the shape. I find flying forward at half speed and just turning by using left stick yaw is a great way to just fly around very similar to a heli or even an airplane model.

I am assuming from your initial post about flying RC heli you are familiar with what I am talking about. This is not advice for a complete novice, but for someone with RC experience.

Im not concerned with the flying part, Iike i said before I been flying aerobatics on both planes and helis for many years, but always with in sight and im planning on making some long flights (2-3 km range) with the phantom where for sure is going to be out of visual sight so I want to have the best plan of action just in case something was to happen.
I am defenetly going to put some hours flying nice and slow and close by as I gain confidence flying it watching a screen, complete opposite of what I been doing for years, never ever take your eyes from your plane or heli...lol and now ill be flying looking at my ipad, I need to gain that trust little by little. Is going to be a new fan and exiting way of flying, cant wait to get started.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik