New Phantom 2 shipped with update?

Reaction score
I am new to this site so I am sorry if this has been asked already but I cant seem to find any info on this anywhere.

I just received my Phantom 2 from B&H a few weeks ago and tried to update the firmware (as advised by everyone) but when I downloaded and ran the Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.1 2014-02-20 (for MAC) it looks like it already has the latest version. I have ready several complaints about this unit not shipping with the current firmware. Is it possible that this was updated already? Any suggestion on how to make sure it is?

Also I have read that you should not use the GoPro wifi to view the camera image live. But I was wondering if there is any way to at least get the stats of the Phantom on my iPhone or iPad while in flight. I have seen videos that show altitude, speed, and even location on a map. What is needed to do those things (cheep). Ultimately I would like to get a video feed but that is not as important to me at this point.

Thank you all.

Yes you have the updated firmware. I had to even exchange my phantom with B&H and first one needed the firmware and the second one just needed the Zenmuse gimbal update.

Be careful updating the gimbal though....the RC transmitter needs to be updated first and calibrated using the RC software assist...and then you can do the Gimbal update using the Phantom 2 software assist and calibrate again on that software too.

DO NOT USE WiFi at all unless you have other DJI devices that call for it. It has been said the interference will allow your aircraft to FLY AWAY!

The display you mentioned can be done with the DJI iOSD mini

Thank you. I was thinking that I had done something wrong when trying to install the update.

UFOwithaGoPro said:
Be careful updating the gimbal though....the RC transmitter needs to be updated first and calibrated using the RC software assist...and then you can do the Gimbal update using the Phantom 2 software assist and calibrate again on that software too.

If I have the updated version already is there another update for the transmitter that I need to do before the gimbal?

Do you know if there are any videos that show how this is done on a new P2 (non-vision).

Thank you for any advice you have.

Using the RC software assist, plug in your remote control tx and it will tell you if an updated firmware is available. If there is...download and calibrate sticks on that software, then plug aircraft in and use the Phantom assist software to again calibrate sticks and controls. I'm sure it is always important to calibrate the controls on both software assists when any firmware updates are done.

Thank you UFOwithaGoPro! I verified that the P2 was in fact shipped with all current updates. The gimbal as you suggested was not. I have it updated and everything is working great. Now I am off to find how to set the limits of the gimbal and slow it down a bit. There is a ton of distortion (fisheye) through the GoPro Hero3 Black when I pan up and down, and it moves way to fast.

Thank you for your help.

FASTFJR said:
Is the update for the Gimbal part of the RC software assist?

UFOwithaGoPro advised this....
UFOwithaGoPro said:

My transmitter was updated already so I was able to skip that step. But from what I have read you want to make sure it is up to date first.

Hope that helps.

neveradayoff said:
FASTFJR said:
Is the update for the Gimbal part of the RC software assist?

UFOwithaGoPro advised this....
UFOwithaGoPro said:

My transmitter was updated already so I was able to skip that step. But from what I have read you want to make sure it is up to date first.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, mine arrived from B&H yesterday. I'm so dam busy now I won't have time to play around for about a week

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr