New Phantom 2 Owner

Reaction score
U-Control was the last mode of aircraft for me to fly, and that was in 1958 when I was 14 years old!! I have wanted to acquire a quadcopter for sometime now, but I had to talk my wife into it! I have acquired a Phantom 2 Model P330Z, S/N PH645391543 V1.0 which was a demonstrator used at a camera store that I do business with. It came with the H3-3D gimbal and was complete except for a owners manual. It apparently was crashed at one time as the legs of the gimbal's damping unit were bent. It was a simple matter to straighten the legs out using a pair of needle-nose pliers. I am leaving the H3-3D off the copter for the time being. I have not flown the Phantom as yet as I am now watching all the videos on YouTube related to the Phantom 2, as well as reading all info found on the internet. I do not plan on taking pictures and shooting video until: (1) I become proficient in flying; (2) I can afford a GoPro camera!! My questions are as follows: (1) Is there any way to verify whether the H3-3D is operational since it was crashed?; (2) While I have flown a civil aircraft I do not have a pilot's license but I do have a number of hours as aircrew on USAF aircraft, and I am concerned about distraction- in other words flying the Phantom 2 and trying to shoot video at the same time. I see where you can add a smart phone or tablet as a for of monitor.; (3) This past February I was fitted with a Pacemaker and I am concerned about the electronics in the Phantom as well as the remote causing problems. I want to offer my thanks now to anyone who can offer feedback.

Hello Ken,
Welcome, and congrats!
I have a P2v, I don't have a HD gimbal, but I do have an aftermarket gimbal installed! I'll try to do my best at answering your questions:
I'm assuming your using a GOPRO?

First we need to do a few things:
1) go to ( DJI.com ) download USER MANUAL ( pdf ) familiarize yourself with it, front to back! ( flying is easy ), learning your warning lights, switches, settings, and proper procedures, is the most IMPORTANTLY thing to learn, and can take some time! You will learn more as you fly, as I learn new stuff everyday!

Ok
Next we need to setup your computer to accept phantom communication, for updates, setting, calibration, ect!
Go to DJI.com,
we need to download 3 things!
1) p2v DRIVER SOFTWARE
( this allows phantom to talk to computer )
2) p2v RC ASSISTANT
( for settings, and calibration TX only )
3) p2v PC ASSISTANT
( for settings, update, for phantom, and phantom to Tx )

Ok
Now we can talk to your phantom, to see what is going on with it!

First,
You'll need to hook Tx to RC ASSISTANT, via USB PORT, ( if your Tx has no port, you must open it to access, INTERNAL USB PORT )
Once hooked up, run and do a complete calibration, both sticks, both switches, and dial wheel ( if applicable ). Turn off Tx unplug, turn off RC assistant!
Next
Hook phantom to PC using USB cable ( remember props OFF ),open PC ASSISTANT,
( ASSUMING YOUR IN PHANTOM MODE, and NOT NAZA MODE )
turn on Tx, wifi extender, then phantom.
Here do an ADVANCED IMU CALIBRATION ( make sure phantom is STABLE, and LEVEL , during this process. ) ok, do a Tx calibration here as well ( this calibrates Tx to phantom under RC tab ) after that turn off phantom, remote. Now go outside, do a fresh COMPASS CALIBRATION!
these steps above will insure your bird is calibrated correctly, and gyros, accelerometer, and compass, are all calibrated and working as s team, before your first flight
Next
ONLY USE DJI PROPS, aftermarket props SUCK, don't take any chances!
You'll want to invest in a phantom prop balancer about $15-20 U.S.! You'll want to BALANCE your props
( these are all things you can do while learning the manual, and warning light codes! )
Now your bird is ready to fly, calibrated and balanced!
Ok
Gimbal ( props off ) gimbal hooked up ) CAMERA ATTATCHED turn on Tx, and phantom, within a few seconds, your gimbal should come to life and stabilize! ( possibly 45 degrees down? ) but stable and quiet. You should be able to move phantom around, and gopro should stay stable and level!

2) yes You can get FPV, but requires FPV TRANSMITTER, on phantom, and a monitor with receiver on Tx to receive pictures!

3) heart condition ( pacemaker )
Here I can't help you as that is beyond my knowledge, but an EXCELLENT question!
not sure with your setup, which is which, but these crafts use 2 different frequencies ( 5.8Ghz, and 2.4Ghz ) maybe ask your doctor if these frequencies, can mess with you?
( I PERSONALLY, would look into this first, before turning ANYTHING on! ) please be safe!

That is about it, and there are several extremely smart members here, that are always here to help, if we don't get RIGHT BACK to you we will, as we are all over the world, and some are sleeping while we are working!
Food for thought!
Hope this helps, but should get you out the door on the right foot!

J Dot

Last edited:
Jerry,
Thanks for your response, it was very helpful! Before I start downloading firmware and updates etc. i will have to determine which version of the Phantom 2 that I have. I sent an e-mail to dji with model as well as serial number, but have as yet to receive a response from them. My Phantom 2 came with the H3-3D already attached, but no camera.

Ken

On the back of your Tx, is it 5.8ghx, or 2.4ghz?

Also you'll need a gopro MOUNTED to check gimbal, as the camera is the balancer, without it attached it won't be balanced, and won't work right!
Also under the belly of the phantom should be a model number, may help distinguish which model it is? It is either a P2 or converted P2v. Most likely a P2 running a 2.4ghz Tx!

Jd

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for assisting me in finding out that my Phantom is a P2 and the Tx is 2.4. I have removed the H3-3D gimbal as I will not be using a camera until I am 100% proficient in flying, plus I have to determine if it was damaged in a crash as the damping legs were bent. I already have a camera (AEE) which is smaller than a GoPro and I may just either modify the gimbal so it fits, or make a new mount for it, but this will be in 2016. I looked at all the Software available for download and I am assuming that the best one to use is the V3.8 I purchased the P2 because the price was right and if I managed to crash it it would be no big deal

Yes use the newest P2 software,
Follow those steps I gave above!
This will I sure your bird is calibrated and balanced! After any crash, hard landing, it is a good idea to hook to assistant to do an IMU ( Inertial measurement unit ) calibration!
This unit takes readings from ( compass, gyro, and accelerometer )
Gyro = spinning motion
Accelerometer = straight motion
Compass = self explanatory
Anyhow takes all these readings, and comes up with a MODUUS, or MOD VALUE!
MODUUS = another term for absolute value
With these readings it computes what to do to stay stable, level and straight! Then calculates your stick inputs, and compensates, and reacts!
If any of the MOD values are off, it will not receive correct reading, causing ( any number of ) problems!
Might drift, or spin, or wobble around, ect. By doing an advanced calibration, brings these values back to good, ( unless something is broken ) but that with a fresh compass calibration, should fly like a dream!
You'll learn all the settings later as you go, as each pilot is different, so no settings will be exactly the same!
If you ever CHANGE any settings, TAKE NOTE of what they were, in case you need to go back! Feel free to play a bit with it, just make SMALL adjustments, test, tune a bit, test, ect!
If you use a different camera, you will have to rebalance your gimbal, all directions! Can be a task!

You'll FIRST want to learn ORIENTATION, this is learning to fly with craft facing different ways ( ie: front facing away from you ( left is left, right is right, ect ) BUT with craft facing you ( right is now left, left is right, forward is at you, backwards is away ) this is where most crash, as they don't realize that, they give left input thinking the craft will go left, but no it goes right and crashes! I flew patterns ( a lot ) and still do!
( ie: circles with bird always facing away, circles with craft facing ahead, figure 8's, box patterns, ect ) good way to learn orientation! Just a suggestion!

Please feel free to write if I can be of any assistance!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! It was interesting to note that you reside in Sarasota as I have relatives there! Anyway would you like to continue our dialogue via e-mail? I would like to ask a favor, could you possibly weigh your GoPro camera for me? I want to see how it compares to my AEE video camera. By any chance have you viewed the "Drone Camp" (Justin Davis) on YouTube? I think they are quite good.

Watch your six,
Ken

Hello Ken,
I actually don't have s gopro, but my friend does, I'll ask hom the weight ( I think it is a gopro3 black )? I have the vision, comes with its own camera, I just added the 2 axis gimbal, and know s but about them! Balancing is not the problem, as it is quite easy, you just mount your camera ( must be secure, no moving about, or wobbling, needs to be tight and snug, then you hold it level ( all directions ) if it falls one way or another, you counter balance with whatever, some people use stick on weights, like ones used in pine car derbies! The problem will be in the PID setting under your gimbal, as these settings are for a specific camera, weight, ect. If your camera is heavier, you may want to bump up some settings to compensate! Not sure hit the HD-3d works software wise? But they all use ( alexmos SimpleBGC Software ) you might want to review some YouTube videos on it, way too complex for me to walk you through, as I'm still learning it as well, just make it GOOD habit to ALWAYS take note ( write it down ) BEFORE you change ANY settings! I know I say that A LOT, but it will save you so much time later!
Yes,
You can email me!
[email protected]

If I don't reply RIGHT back, don't worry, I work 6 days a week 5:30am my time to around 5:00pm or so!
Sometimes have the weekend off, but rare!

But I'd be happy to help you in your travels, new pilots are always welcome as far as I'm concerned!

This is my project
CFFEE3EA-EEE1-44B3-A7AD-0D600EDC16D7_zpsrccmcams.jpg

Full build from scratch! A bit overwhelming, collecting all the parts needed, some donated to me by friends here, some bought, some traded, and I had several items as spares already! I now have EVERY PART needed, but had to do a bunch of cleanup on most of it, as it was all used! ( I did by 4 bags of parts ) screw set, USB port, cable kit, and power supply, as I need those items new! I'm going to post about the whole build in installments, daily updates! But will take some time as I have a 15yr boy, 8yr boy, 3yr girl, my brats, so they take much of my spare time ( welcomed of corse ) lol. So finding time between for the build will be a task in itself!:D

Jerry
Talk soon!

Hello Ken,
I actually don't have s gopro, but my friend does, I'll ask hom the weight ( I think it is a gopro3 black )? I have the vision, comes with its own camera, I just added the 2 axis gimbal, and know s but about them! Balancing is not the problem, as it is quite easy, you just mount your camera ( must be secure, no moving about, or wobbling, needs to be tight and snug, then you hold it level ( all directions ) if it falls one way or another, you counter balance with whatever, some people use stick on weights, like ones used in pine car derbies! The problem will be in the PID setting under your gimbal, as these settings are for a specific camera, weight, ect. If your camera is heavier, you may want to bump up some settings to compensate! Not sure hit the HD-3d works software wise? But they all use ( alexmos SimpleBGC Software ) you might want to review some YouTube videos on it, way too complex for me to walk you through, as I'm still learning it as well, just make it GOOD habit to ALWAYS take note ( write it down ) BEFORE you change ANY settings! I know I say that A LOT, but it will save you so much time later!
Yes,
You can email me!
[email protected]

If I don't reply RIGHT back, don't worry, I work 6 days a week 5:30am my time to around 5:00pm or so!
Sometimes have the weekend off, but rare!

But I'd be happy to help you in your travels, new pilots are always welcome as far as I'm concerned!

This is my project
CFFEE3EA-EEE1-44B3-A7AD-0D600EDC16D7_zpsrccmcams.jpg

Full build from scratch! A bit overwhelming, collecting all the parts needed, some donated to me by friends here, some bought, some traded, and I had several items as spares already! I now have EVERY PART needed, but had to do a bunch of cleanup on most of it, as it was all used! ( I did by 4 bags of parts ) screw set, USB port, cable kit, and power supply, as I need those items new! I'm going to post about the whole build in installments, daily updates! But will take some time as I have a 15yr boy, 8yr boy, 3yr girl, my brats, so they take much of my spare time ( welcomed of corse ) lol. So finding time between for the build will be a task in itself!:D

Jerry
Talk soon![/QUOT jerry, do you have any time this weekend to help with my wifi problem? i'll be home all weekend. thanks! Paul

jerry, not sure if you have been getting my messages. i have a free weekend this weekend, so if you want to get together to trouble shoot my wifi situation, let's have at it. [email protected]

Hello Paul,
I have sent replies! Not sure what is going on? Anyhow I'll try this route,
We have an all weekend ( Cub Scout ) camp out, should be home between noon and one on Sunday, if you want to get together Sunday afternoon sometime, I can do that!

Jerry
( J Dot )
:D

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl