New Phantom 2 engine sputter

Reaction score
The first time I flew my Phantom 2 was in gps mode everything worked perfectly. No crashing! The second time I noticed the right engine (as you look at battery) had a minor sputter before takeoff. It seemed to stop sputtering when I took off but gps mode didnt work to great, it held position sometimes but moments later it would drift for a while then start working again. I landed, reset the compass and started the engines a couple minutes after gps initiation. Before takeoff with the engines running I noticed the green light on the arm with the sputtering engine flickered in time with the sputter. The green light arm opposite flashed as it should. No colors other than green are shown from the 2 lights. Any ideas on how I could repair this would be appreciated, I would rather learn how to repair my Phantom than send it away, I would use my warrantee if it is something expensive though.

I would open it up and check the 2 power wires going to esc for the arm that you seen the light flickering. You could have a solder joint that failed and the wire is just laying up against the contact pad and not makeing a good connection and could cause a serious crash if it disconnects in flight.

Thanks, I will wait a bit. I'm being ignored by the outfit I purchased it from so I think they may need a lesson on how paypal works when a customer is ignored when sold something that doesnt work from the start especially from someone who has close to 750 trouble free transactions, paypal will punish them. If I dont hear from them by day end tomorrow I will go for a full blown refund, case, gimble,fpv and all, no further discussion. I will then buy another from someone who appreciates my business and services what they sell. These people that want to sell and claim they give support but dont, bug me. Its dishonest, these toys arent cheap to a lot of us.

if they ignore you and paypal gives you a refund I'd fix it your self and not buy another one. There is not much that cant be fixed on these things. Even the problem you havering at worse case diagnosis is a bad esc if not a lose wire. and a new ESC is about $22-$23 shipped. and if you dont even own a soldering iron a good soldering iron wont even cost more then $10-$20 and easy to learn how to properly solder. and a good skill to have.

What is a ESC? Not to familiar with this stuff yet but want to learn. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should just order it and replace the engine as well. At least I wont have to spend the rest of the summer fighting with a bunch of losers when I could be flying.

A ESC is electronic speed controller. There is one for each motor in each of the 4 arms. and they also are what the LEDs are attached to. The esc's take the 12v power from the main board and convert it to 3 phase power and send it to the motor. and change the frequency up or down. To make the motor spin at what ever rpms each one needs to be at to control the speed of each motor to stay level and fly right.

From the symptoms you described the motor is probably still fine. And I still bet the esc is probably ok and just a lose wire on one of the 2 wires that go from the main board the the esc that is in ? Cause a burned out esc that wont turn the motor right can still have the leds for that arm still working properly. Or have one of the leds burned out or even a broken connection and the motors can still be all good and the leds not showing all the colors or even no lights. But with your motor and the leds intermittently flaking out at the same time when they flicker on and off. Is whats making me think its probably a loose connection.

Thanks for your help, it was a bad esc, found a fantastic dealer in Burnaby, Heli Video Pros. They actually film for the movie industry as well, they dont just sell them, they use them! Much better than the fly by night outfit I purchased from. There prices are better and they answered the phone! They had me up and running the same day! They are familiar with the dealer I purchased from because they are getting many of their customers. When you find a good dealer as I finally did, make sure you get a fistful of business cards from them to help them out. I give out at least 3 everytime I fly, I also tell them where not to go. Word of mouth costs bad dealers thousands upon thousands of dollars as it pyramids, keep our hobby alive, use the dealers that are going to stick around and help us out.

"An engine is a device that burns or otherwise consumes fuel, changing its chemical composition, whereas a motor is a device driven by electricity, which does not change the chemical composition of its energy source."
Just sayin' :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4