New Phantom 2 coming... Firmware update advice?

Reaction score
My new Phantom 2z will be here next week, and I read that the first thing to do before flight, is to upgrade the firmware on all componants. Are any of the most recent firmware problematic, and should be avoided? I read some were unable to get their PH2's to lift off the ground after an update, and had a headache of a time figuring out what caused it. I also read that some thought the gimbal pitch speed was way too fast in the latest update...

So, I would like your advice on which firmware updates to install, and which to avoid. I would like to have a great first experience with my PH2, and not be grounded due to firmware issues. Thank you!

tawd77 said:
So, I would like your advice on which firmware updates to install, and which to avoid.

I believe the latest advice is to upgrade all the firmware APART from the Zenmuse. My P2 is currently:

MC: v1.08
P330CB: v1.0.1.19
Gimbal CMU: v1.0
Gimbal IMU: v1.6 (showing new update v1.8 available)

I've not had any problems with this. Apparently the Zenmuse update is buggy.... so just leave that one alone at the moment :)

My advice would be to update. Chances are that unless you purchased old stock it's probably up to date.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I updated everything (some things twice now and I've only had it about a month) including the Zenmuse and have not had problems. I suspect if you are a little concerned, skip the Zenmuse. It still works fine without the upgrade.

If you have osd and FPV coming on your model or are going to put them on, then upgrade the osd for sure. Mine was two revisions behind and the upgrade gave me a couple of nice features.

After reading various forum posts about glitchy upgrades, I decided to give a try anyway. With gimbal installed on P2, I took a deep breath and proceeded with firmware upgrade first on the controller, then used the Phantom2 Assistant and did the upgrade on the gimbal. Followed exactly the instructions in the DJI release notes. Worked well, now all my equipment is up to date.
Maybe I just got lucky...?

I wouldn't call it lucky. You typically only read about problems, not the 100 's or 1000's of success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I think the issues people had with the zenmuse update are easily fixed by recalibrating the gimbal channel X1 afterwards. At least, that was my experience.

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will do all but the zenmuse updates for now. I do plan on getting an iosd mini and fpv setup at some point, but its currently not in my budget. When I do, I will be sure to update it to take advantage of the better osd features.

This really is a great site! I have been lurking and reading for the past week or so, and have picked up tons of valuable info. I was initially going to get a Vision, but after some reading here, I found out I would be MUCH happier with the P2z, and gopro 3+ black edition. Hopefully my 3+ doesnt have the blurry issue that other have reported, and I will be in good shape! Thanks again for the help!

Same goes for me! Just ordered P2 w/Gimbal tonight. This forum first scared me from buying, then encouraged me to buy. Thanks from me also!

I had the same thoughts, but let me tell you my experience...

I just bought my Phantom 2 last week and had it shipped to my house. So BRAND new, out of the box, all updates are already installed on my Phantom 2, so I did not need to do anything to the Phantom 2 out of the box.

The TX is a different story, I fired up the RC Assistant and noticed that my version was one behind the latest. I DID not update to the latest just yet, because it mainly had to do with the gimbal, which I did not attach till later.. So, out of the box, your new Phantom 2 will be ready to fly. I did a compass calibration and let it find the GPS signals, and took it up. Had NO issues!!

Now, here comes the fun part!! After flying it for two days, I managed to break only one prop!! :lol: Anyway, I felt pretty secure in my flying skills. I could land it, without tipping over... a big plus for me.. :D. So I decided to put on the gimbal. After attaching the gimbal, I then noticed that when I ran the "Phantom Assistant", that now the gimbal showed up and it, was upgraded to the latest firmware as well. So, still, the only thing off, was my TX. I followed the instructions on how to update the TX and it all went well. Here is the part that messed me up..

It was time to calibrate the gimbal. The gimbal uses the "X1" channel, and when I launched the "RC Assistant", and moved the gimbal level on the back of my TX, I noticed that the X1 slider on the screen was not moving! Great.. what did I do wrong?? I messed around with the RC Assistant and the Phantom Assistant trying to figure out, why when I moved the gimbal lever on the TX, the X1 would not move within the RC Assistant.. Here is what I found out after a little research.

Some of the units shipped by DJI have a bent "variable resistor" within the TX. I read this on a few forums and found a youtube video explaining this. After opening up my TX, I noticed that mine was bent down as well. I followed the instructions on this video and now my gimbal is working properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJLIHm2m90E

You might have a perfectly fine, TX, and will not have this problem. (Remember, when calibrating the X1 channel, the little arrows would not even move on screen for me!). But if you do suspect a bad TX, follow the above video, or contact your dealer and have them replace your unit or repair it.

So, what did I learn. All the updates worked fine on my new Phantom 2. It came out of the box with the current updates, all but the TX. I went ahead and updated the TX and it did not have any issues. I hope this help your fears. I'm enjoying the heck out of this thing, and now that I came move the gimbal on the Phantom 2, up and down, I'm ready to start taking some video.. Happy flying guys.. And let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

mmccurdy said:
I had the same thoughts, but let me tell you my experience...
I just bought my Phantom 2 last week and had it shipped to my house....

Thanks for taking the time to draft that up, Mike. Much appreciated!
My "fears" were primarily around shelling out a thousand bucks and then having the rig go schizophrenic on me...and lose all my gear. Have been reading so many posts on the web by people who swore they did everything "right"..and still lost their gear. So, I kept my money, and kept reading.

I think I've gathered enough info to persuade me to buy.
Check on insurance thru homeowner policy (personal items add on?)
Check for firmware updates.
Check settings for flight mode (Phantom mode vs. more advanced Naza mode)
Check and recheck battery status and cycle them per the DJI manual.
Calibrate the compass correctly. May need to re-calibrate if you move 100 miles or more (fly from home, fly from Mexico, etc.).
Perform advanced calibration on a straight, level, non-metallic surface
Fly for 10's of hours without the gimbal (if you've no experience with RC..I have some, but still)
Wait for the bird to find its satellites.
Make sure you don't have a pocket full of wireless gadgets or scrap metal.
Make sure you're clear of: People, power lines, and communication structures
Keep an eye on the wind and changing conditions (we used to call this situational awareness)
Fly with hope and trust.

That should get me a good start, no?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers