New Phantom 2 Calibration

Reaction score
I just received my new Phantom 2 from B&H (I also own a Phantom 2 Vision). Perfect out of the box. Some observations about calibration. After connecting to the Assistant software and calibrating, I went outside to calibrate the compass. I calibrated it about 5 feet high from my back yard cement slab and within reach (possibly) of the Wi-Fi signal from the house. I tested it and, although hovering fine, it tended to drift left and forward. Tried again and same thing. Then took it to the front of the house quite a distance and over grass and calibrated the compass again. This time it hover perfectly with no drift and flew perfect.

Lesson learned, never calibrate in areas that may have metal (even patios or sidewalks or where Wi-Fi signal may be present. Even if you are going to fly over a patio or cement, try to calibrate the compass away from any interference. I also tried the same with my Phantom 2 Vision, and noticed same results. Hope this helps.

By the way, this controller came with the USB port outside, not inside like in the Vision.

I know what you mean. However, all it took was move away from the front of my house where the Wi-Fi signal is weaker. I frankly think that it is more of an issue with magnetic fields from rebar in the concrete patios.

I hope I have over the last 20+ years flying RC and real size. My point here, is that the compass is extremely sensitive, and it more important WHERE you do the calibration than doing it often without regards to the location. :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.