New personal bests for distance and flight time, P4P

8000 feet distance, 24:40 flight time
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
there seems to be a mild jello effect at times... , the video quality does not seem that clear to me - maybe be especially the trees I thought they would look a lot better, good test though, that location I would call is very close to optimal for range test flying.
Some people are reporting the prop plastic motor mounts loose , better check yours as they should be tight, maybe that's whats causing the jello effect in your video.

Last edited:
there seems to be a mild jello effect at times... , the video quality does not seem that clear to me - maybe be especially the trees I thought they would look a lot better, good test though, that location I would call is very close to optimal for range test flying.
Some people are reporting the prop plastic motor mounts loose , better check yours as they should be tight, maybe that's whats causing the jello effect in your video.
The places I see jello effect are when I was adjusting the gimbal level, which I did a number of times during the flight. Other than places where you see jello effect, and if you have time, could you tell me a section of the video where you find the video quality to be particularly lacking? I'll take that section and upload it using much higher quality settings. I didn't upload the 25 minute video using quality that was very high due to how long the upload would have taken on my connection. The files for the flight on the micro-SD card totaled 18GB, but the file I uploaded to YouTube was less than 1GB.

The places I see jello effect are when I was adjusting the gimbal level, which I did a number of times during the flight. Other than places where you see jello effect, and if you have time, could you tell me a section of the video where you find the video quality to be particularly lacking? I'll take that section and upload it using much higher quality settings. I didn't upload the 25 minute video using quality that was very high due to how long the upload would have taken on my connection. The files for the flight on the micro-SD card totaled 18GB, but the file I uploaded to YouTube was less than 1GB.
I see, the video at the beginning when you're coming up over the trees become blurry almost looks like Phantom 3 camera when the background becomes too busy it can not process the details...
Jello at 2:19 quite visible ...

I see, the video at the beginning when you're coming up over the trees become blurry almost looks like Phantom 3 camera when the background becomes too busy it can not process the details...
Jello at 2:19 quite visible ...
2:19 is where I was messing with the gimbal roll for the first time. I thought that the beginning might be where the fuzziness was that you noticed, so I'm in the process of uploading 80 seconds of the video, including that section, at higher resolution. 1 hour 37 minutes until it's uploaded. I'll post it here when it's done.

I see, the video at the beginning when you're coming up over the trees become blurry
This is better, but only by degrees. There's still plenty of room to improve the resolution further but that would slow down the upload even more.

This is better, but only by degrees. There's still plenty of room to improve the resolution further but that would slow down the upload even more.
this looks much better , but still there are times where the details show up nice and sharp and then they drop in detail and come back again, its kind of like they details defocus or the processor can't process all the details.
Video from the distance seems very nice and rich in detail...
I think I may invest in P4P but in the spring time after all the problems are taken care of , tomorrow we are having -27 c so my hands on hobby for me is over till spring :(

this looks much better , but still there are times where the details show up nice and sharp and then they drop in detail and come back again, its kind of like they details defocus or the processor can't process all the details.
Video from the distance seems very nice and rich in detail...
I think I may invest in P4P but in the spring time after all the problems are taken care of , tomorrow we are having -27 c so my hands on hobby for me is over till spring :(
Brrrr!!

Regarding the video still being out of focus in spots, Rick Moranis says:

With that in mind, here's a bit of the video uploaded at ludicrous resolution, basically as high in resolution as the raw video. Unfortunately, it still got reduced greatly in quality by YouTube. Edit: it took a while for the YouTube resolution to improve, but it did. View at the highest HD setting using the settings wheel at the bottom of the video.

I also uploaded the same 11 seconds of video to my own website, where there was no chance of it being reduced in quality during the transfer. No fuzzy here!
http://soledoubtshow.com/vids/20161207 UHD 11 second clip.mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: jsy1176 and morph1
Brrrr!!

Regarding the video still being out of focus in spots, Rick Moranis says:

With that in mind, here's a bit of the video uploaded at ludicrous resolution, basically as high in resolution as the raw video. Unfortunately, it still got reduced greatly in quality by YouTube. Edit: it took a while for the YouTube resolution to improve, but it did. View at the highest HD setting using the settings wheel at the bottom of the video.

I also uploaded the same 11 seconds of video to my own website, where there was no chance of it being reduced in quality during the transfer. No fuzzy here!
http://soledoubtshow.com/vids/20161207 UHD 11 second clip.mp4
haha , that was funny , yeah ludicrous speed / ludicrous quality lol , this looks awesome now !, It is hard to judge the quality of the actual video based on youtube output,
I may just get the P4P straight from amazon so if anything is not working right I can simply swap it for a new one with in few days wait.
Please try again another range test , makes sure your antennas are parallel to the craft and go up to 300 ft altitude, I hope you can at least get 12000 ft distance , that would be quite acceptable for fair range.. Try windsurfer and see if that helps to get more range if you can't go any farther than 8000 ft
I get 14000 + ft with P3P most of the time when I fly outside the city...
Please report back , I'm very curious of the actual distance the P4P can do in fair conditions.

Reactions: Bigbells
haha , that was funny , yeah ludicrous speed / ludicrous quality lol , this looks awesome now !, It is hard to judge the quality of the actual video based on youtube output,
I may just get the P4P straight from amazon so if anything is not working right I can simply swap it for a new one with in few days wait.
Please try again another range test , makes sure your antennas are parallel to the craft and go up to 300 ft altitude, I hope you can at least get 12000 ft distance , that would be quite acceptable for fair range.. Try windsurfer and see if that helps to get more range if you can't go any farther than 8000 ft
I get 14000 + ft with P3P most of the time when I fly outside the city...
Please report back , I'm very curious of the actual distance the P4P can do in fair conditions.
I always use windsurfers. I go up to 393 feet (120 meters) which is the highest I can go to stay in compliance with FCC regulations.

My P4P with windsurfers gets greater distance than my P3P with windsurfers. I do not fly in a perfect location for ultimate distance, but one of these days I'll find such a location.

YouTube will accept very high resolution but although my Internet is the fastest available where I live, it's at the very low end of hi speed. This video I uploaded this morning is a fair compromise: reasonable resolution with an uploaded file that is only about 1/8 the size of the original file.

so that was 8000 ft with windsurfer ? that's only 2.4 km , I get this in the city of Edmonton with just stock antennas flying less than 200 ft altitude, that's a very disappointing range then,
I am not sure what to say about P4P , looks like an awesome camera with a limited range bird. I can understand for real estate photography I guess that don't matter but I like adventure lol and I want go farther distance than my P3P and having the advantage of longer flight time but decreased range just makes no sense...
I'm gonna cry now whaaaaa DJI why lol :eek:

so that was 8000 ft with windsurfer ? that's only 2.4 km , I get this in the city of Edmonton with just stock antennas flying less than 200 ft altitude, that's a very disappointing range then,
I am not sure what to say about P4P , looks like an awesome camera with a limited range bird. I can understand for real estate photography I guess that don't matter but I like adventure lol and I want go farther distance than my P3P and having the advantage of longer flight time but decreased range just makes no sense...
I'm gonna cry now whaaaaa DJI why lol :eek:
I can't figure out where you're coming from with your statements about decreased range. You cannot compare my distance to the distance you get... we fly in different locations... but you CAN to some degree compare RELATIVE distance. My P4P gets considerably more distance than my P3P. The fact that my P4P gets less distance than your P3P is not relevant.

Based on the fact that my P4P has better distance than my P3P, I'd be willing to bet that you would get greater distance with a P4P than with your P3P, but I would not be willing to guarantee it. That's not my job.

The camera, all by itself, makes me glad I purchased a P4P. The increased range, speed, and battery life are bonuses.

Anyway, maybe the price will come down by the time you decide to get a P4P. Best of luck!

Where I'm coming from is that I do get that distance in a city, city = lots of interference, look up Edmonton on google maps,
I see in the video the location you are flying where there is hardly any residential congestion, your location should have 60% less interference than my location,
it almost looks like you are flying in a rural area.
People are talking right now how limited the p4p is in range and that is my concern...
I want to purchase P4P but I am concerned with the reports I read, same goes for the P4, the controller C revision had decreased output compare to A and B
and a lot of users would buy the A,B controller and reported better range with their P4s.
I am just hoping that P4P is a beast in all aspects, not only by means of camera improvement but at least the same if not better range.
Just a thought,
Are you flying your drone till you get the auto RTH ? or are you flying back when you see the controller weak signal appear on your display ?
a lot of times when you see the weak signal warning you just have to push through ahead and it will recover the signal and let you go farther.
Hey thanks for the testing and reporting !

I see in the video the location you are flying where there is hardly any residential congestion, your location should have 60% less interference than my location,
Yes, I am in a rural area. But I have repeatedly shown and stated that I am totally and completely surrounded by trees when I fly from my yard, which is where I like to fly from. Even at maximum 393' of altitude, there is NO line of sight, in ANY direction, beyond 800 feet distance. Zip, nada, nil, zilch.*

Only when I fly south do I have this 800 feet. Other directions are MUCH less. This is why comparing my location to Edmonton is not valid.

*If you're with the FAA, I'm lying of course.

Last edited:
you need to cut them trees down ;) JK
cheers !
I'm planning to get someone to do just that. I might even be able to make some money from selling the timber. But I've only been planning it for 10 or 12 years, so give me time. At first, my reason was because the trees on the western side of my house are either on the verge of interfering with my satellite dish or they already do interfere on occasion. For the past 3+ years my main reason is so that I have more clear area to fly multi-rotors. I'm not done procrastinating yet. :)

Where I'm coming from is that I do get that distance in a city, city = lots of interference, look up Edmonton on google maps,
People are talking right now how limited the p4p is in range and that is my concern...
I want to purchase P4P but I am concerned with the reports I read, same goes for the P4, the controller C revision had decreased output compare to A and B
and a lot of users would buy the A,B controller and reported better range with their P4s.
I am just hoping that P4P is a beast in all aspects, not only by means of camera improvement but at least the same if not better range.
Just a thought,
Are you flying your drone till you get the auto RTH ? or are you flying back when you see the controller weak signal appear on your display ?
a lot of times when you see the weak signal warning you just have to push through ahead and it will recover the signal and let you go farther.
Hey thanks for the testing and reporting !

Hey, Morph1, I am also from Edmonton and looking forward to purchase P4P, but my concern is where in or around the city you will be able to fly...as per the Transport Canada guidelines, almost every place is out of reach and there are reports that they would be made more tighter in coming spring...so only the backyard is the place left for flying your drone! I am novice to it so look forward for your suggestions!

cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic