New P4 Owner

Thanks everyone for the replies and the support.
Finally had 10 minutes this morning in "normal" mode (beginner turned off).
I was really surprised with the difference. I assumed that beginner mode just restricted the height and the distance.
It appeared to be much more responsive and quicker with beginner mode off. Am i imagining this ?
To be honest I actually found it easier like this.
Back out again in the morning to try again.
Early autumn here in the U.K. so weather is still ok. Found a nice spot on a nearby beach that is nice and quiete first thing in the morning and is only 10 minutes from where I live.
Keep you posted with my progress.
Good luck to the other new people on here too.
BMP

What areas are you targeting in the Grand Canyon that's not national park?

By the way, since you're going that way, consider visiting Monument Valley, 2hrs East of Page, it's on Indian land. The buttes are right at 1500', which the P4 can achieve.

View attachment 65488

View attachment 65490

I've been to Monument Valley a couple of times. It's unfortunately too far out my way. I'm also considering Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater, but I haven't yet looked into drone restrictions for those places. I was even on the fence about Lake Powell (been there before, too), but who can resist that kind of scenery, not to mention Horseshoe Bend? A drone could easily cross the divide over the Colorado River at that point and get some good views looking back that I doubt many people have ever seen.
As for the Grand Canyon, the eastern and western ends are tribal land. There's Havasupai Falls and of course that famous glass-bottom ledge thingy the tribe owns. It's not really a bridge, so I'm not sure WHAT to call it.

I've been to Monument Valley a couple of times. It's unfortunately too far out my way. I'm also considering Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater, but I haven't yet looked into drone restrictions for those places. I was even on the fence about Lake Powell (been there before, too), but who can resist that kind of scenery, not to mention Horseshoe Bend? A drone could easily cross the divide over the Colorado River at that point and get some good views looking back that I doubt many people have ever seen.
As for the Grand Canyon, the eastern and western ends are tribal land. There's Havasupai Falls and of course that famous glass-bottom ledge thingy the tribe owns. It's not really a bridge, so I'm not sure WHAT to call it.
They sound like some great places to travel to and I am sure will make some amazing videos.

It's called the Skywalk on the Indian land. How are you defining the edge of the Grand Canyon? On Google maps it shows the Skywalk area as Green, implying it's in the national park. Do you have other online maps that are more accurate?

Do you have any YT video posted of Monument Valley?

No video of Monument Valley, but LOT's of photos. I've never done video before. At least not in the digital age.

To my understanding, the Skywalk on tribal land is outside of the national park. That area is managed and overseen entirely by the tribe. Same on the easternmost edge, past that last overlook. Land out there is part of the Navajo Nation and not under NPS regulations. That goes all the way up to Page, where you have Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Slot canyons.

My Flickr page has some of my best photos, including Monument Valley, Sedona, Horseshoe Bend, and Antelope Slot canyon (upper and lower):
Vanessa

10.09.10_4665.JPG
10.09.10_4692.JPG

They sound like some great places to travel to and I am sure will make some amazing videos.

They very much are great places to travel, BMP. Most of Arizona is a photographer's dream, in my opinion. SO many different environments and picturesque settings. From snowy mountains in Prescott and Flagstaff, to Organ Pipe monument in Tucson, to the saguaros of the vast, open desert, to the red rocks of Sedona, to hidden canyons near Page, to the Grand Canyon, to hiking trails on mountains of every size, and so many other gems ...
Can't wait to get back!

Hi everyone.

Happy to say I bought a Phantom 4 last week.

Been doing lots of research on this and other sites. Very useful info on here already helped.

Managed a few small flights so far over a local field and down by the local beach.
Just getting used to all the controls.

Still stuck in beginner mode and feeling a bit scared of taking it out of that mode.

Well impressed so far how easy it is to take off and land. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Looking forward to getting out of beginner mode soon!

BMP.

yes I love my phantom 4 and only had it for a month or so now and like you my first couple of flights I was surprised how easy it was to take off and land..

I bought a hoodman launch and landing pad and been practising precision landing but not only that its great in areas where I don't want to get the lens dirty and when finished the pad folds away nicely.

yes I love my phantom 4 and only had it for a month or so now and like you my first couple of flights I was surprised how easy it was to take off and land..

I bought a hoodman launch and landing pad and been practising precision landing but not only that its great in areas where I don't want to get the lens dirty and when finished the pad folds away nicely.
I will look at one of those. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks

Hey BMP welcome. I have been flying DJI quads for a few years and have an old dinosaur P2V that I still love to fly as well as a P3P and a P4. I have a hard time deciding which is a better machine the P3P or the P4 as they both have features that are awesome. Take your time flying for a bit and enjoy. Feel free to start a conversation if you like and hair fun!

I'll be around horse shoe bend this weekend... are we safe to fly here? being considerate of other tourists trying to take pictures and such

I'll be around horse shoe bend this weekend... are we safe to fly here? being considerate of other tourists trying to take pictures and such
Horseshoe Bend state Park in Utah? Can fly within the state park until the middle of October (I'd recommend calling ahead as this info is on their website). There is a road eight next to the bend, Potash Rd just down from Shafer Trail that affords a good vantage point.

If you mean Horseshoe Bend in Arizona, outside of Page, you're good to go. That's part of the Navajo Nation and so far as I know there are no restrictions, unless posted. I'll be there coming up in December. I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Don't be scared. You start to realize like anything else, that these are well built machines!

It's really easy to fly, and if you take it easy you won't have any problems!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I fly my phantom like a woman. I treat my P3P like a treat my girlfriend.

What areas are you targeting in the Grand Canyon that's not national park?

By the way, since you're going that way, consider visiting Monument Valley, 2hrs East of Page, it's on Indian land. The buttes are right at 1500', which the P4 can achieve.

John Locke, quick question on the height of the buttes at 1500', aren't we suppose to fly at a max of 400' high?. I believe the P3P can achive 1500' as well, never tried it.

I am a new drone owner. It is a lot of fun! This forum has helped a lot. I appreciate the people sharing their experiences on here. I always learn something each time I come to this site, this evening included. I didn't think about the cold weather aspects of this. Winter is coming soon, so that will be a factor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20