New P4 owner!!

Reaction score
FINALLY got a P4! So excited. It was open box but I think it's never been used cause the props still have the plastic on. I have a few questions;

- I had a little trouble pushing the battery in. The lower clip would kind get stuck out unless I push on the lever in. Is that normal?
- the battery while locked in is a little loose by a few milliliters.. Is that normal?
- the phantom name is p4.. Did you have to name it and register upon first use?
- and lastly, is there a way to know if the p4/battery have been used before? Battery shows zero charges.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 1465241248101.jpg
    1465241248101.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 346
Did you have to name it and register upon first use?
Yes. It sounds like someone already registered it before you. If you're running an iOS device, you can change the name in the DJI GO app.

is there a way to know if the p4/battery have been used before?
It usually takes two charges before that value changes from 0 to 1. You could check the internal memory card for DAT files to see if anyone has flown it.

Thanks. What about the loose battery? Does anyone else experience this issue?

All four of my batteries snap in tightly with no play. I have seen a few people mention that issue though.

All four of my batteries snap in tightly with no play. I have seen a few people mention that issue though.
Thanks. Could be a battery issue. I have two more batteries coming in.. Hopefully they fit tighter.

FINALLY got a P4! So excited. It was open box but I think it's never been used cause the props still have the plastic on. I have a few questions;

- I had a little trouble pushing the battery in. The lower clip would kind get stuck out unless I push on the lever in. Is that normal?
- the battery while locked in is a little loose by a few milliliters.. Is that normal?
- the phantom name is p4.. Did you have to name it and register upon first use?
- and lastly, is there a way to know if the p4/battery have been used before? Battery shows zero charges.

Thank you!!
To determine how new it is, look at the rubber landing feet for scratches. In addition, new craft have stickers on the top of each motor arm, near each motor. There's also a sticker above the camera on the gimbal that has a little tab to grab for removal. If the stickers are all there, it's unlikely it's been flown. There have been other stickers on the craft that are not found on all new craft, so I didn't mention those. The fact that it appears to have been registered with DJI and then returned makes me suspicious of something wrong. There have been reports that a good number of craft had issues new out of the box, and the customer took it back to get another one.

Before you fly, and after you do an IMU calibration and load the latest firmware, check the camera horizon and make sure it's level. That's a key issue some people have been fighting. I don't have that issue either, but others certainly do. Return the craft if you see any issue. I might suggest returning it just for the battery issue. Just show the store manager the problem, an exchange shouldn't be a problem.

This may be the case where the previous owner noticed the loose battery and took it back. My 3 batteries are all snug, they don't wiggle at all. And as mentioned by msinger there have been reports with craft that have a loose battery setup for some reason. I don't think it's the battery, I think it's the tolerances in the battery compartment inside the craft. I think everyone in the forum that's had a loose battery says all batteries are loose.

The only thing that I can remember being an ongoing issue today is the 6-8' yoyo effect when stopping. We're hoping for a firmware fix soon. When above 35' AGL, when you stop forward motion, sometimes the craft will settle about 6' and then raise back up, one cycle.

BTW, don't put a gimbal guard on the P4, you will get 40-60' yoyo effect with multiple cycles.:eek:

Thanks for the info. The bird did have all the stickers on.

What do you mean about the yoyo? And do you guys not use the gimbal guard at all? If so what do you use when traveling with it? And cheap 3rd party gimbal lock yet?

I bought the p4 used.. So I doubt they'll replace with a new one.. But I may give then a call tomorrow and find out.

We do use the provided gimbal lock, but you shouldn't install a third party bolt on gimbal guard which would normally install between the two landing legs. For the P3 most of them are carbon fiber. On a P4 if you install one it will cause the craft to yoyo 40-60' when in a hover. A couple of us have experienced this abnormal behavior. However you will get a smaller yoyo of 6-8' occasionally, until DJI creates a firmware fix.

We do use the provided gimbal lock, but you shouldn't install a third party bolt on gimbal guard which would normally install between the two landing legs. For the P3 most of them are carbon fiber. On a P4 if you install one it will cause the craft to yoyo 40-60' when in a hover. A couple of us have experienced this abnormal behavior. However you will get a smaller yoyo of 6-8' occasionally, until DJI creates a firmware fix.
Oh because of the sonar/camera interference?

The battery should by tight and snap on both clips in the same time. Is known a batch of batteries were having problems and may come off in flight.
If you bough it locally, return it for another drone. In the store check the battery how it gets in.

Just took it out in maiden flight.. Battery was drained to 60% pretty fast..! Also, now I understand the yoyo after stop.. Wow that is weird. I hope they fix it soon

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj