New P4 owner with a couple questions..

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been a member here for a long time. I just recently got a drone though. My wonderful wife bought me a P3P for Christmas. She then learned of the P4 so she insisted that she upgrade me to the P4.(Yeah..she's a keeper ;). The time I've spent here reading/researching I've learned a lot about the P3P but not the P4 ( I thought it was out of my reach so I never looked that much in to it.). I'm wondering about firmware. I've read quite a bit about the latest P3P firmware having issues for some. I haven't checked the current firmware on my P4 yet but I was wondering if the current P4 firmware is good; features control but mainly stability. If anyone could give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..Phil

I think that there will always be issue for some depending on how the rest of their drone is set up. I always run the latest firmware/software after waiting a week or so to see how it is running for others. Read the release notes to see what the improvements are will give you an idea also. Try flying with whatever is loaded on the unit to see how you feel and then maybe upgrade if you feel the need. If the new firmware is a dud, you'll hear about on this forum!

Thanks, like I said I haven't checked to see what version is on there now. I took it out for a short flight around the field after doing an IMU and stick calibration. The only issue I saw was it seemed to go forward much slower than it went backward. My controller was giving a low battery warning, maybe that was it. Or it may have been too close or "recovering" from an obstacle avoidance situation as I was playing with it. Like I said I've learned so much about the P3P because I always felt that a P4 wasn't really in the cards..if that makes sense.

The level of the battery shouldn't make a difference to the performance to the drone unless it's going into auto land after the usual battery warnings. It will tell you when this happens. If you turn off OA, you will get more speed out it, particularly when returning after initiating RTH. As for what firmware you are running,the app should tell you if one is required, alternatively, connect up everything and find the latest installed version on the app.

Did you check the speed on the dji go app to see if it was actually moving forward faster than it moved backward or it may just be a trick on the eyes.
You mentioned IMU and stick calibration - dont forget the compass calibration - it usually requests you to do it if needed but you should do it anyway if you have moved a fair distance from where it was last done.
Finally, if it says low battery, I would land and change out or charge it asap.

Thanks, yeah I did the compass calibration making sure I left my keys and phone on the deck. I charged the AC battery but the RC battery was only showing one steady and one blinking led. I knew I wasn't going high or far so I didn't charge the RC. As for the speed it seemed "sluggish" when I went up on the right stick, pulling back on the right stick seemed a bit more responsive. Just before that I was testing the collision avoidance near a wall, maybe it takes a couple more seconds to recover from the collision avoidance. Before I went out I did calibrate the RC sticks, it seemed to take, maybe not. I'll try a different stick calibration after the RC is charged and will let you guys know.

Oh and I did have it out of beginner mode.

As for the speed it seemed "sluggish" when I went up on the right stick, pulling back on the right stick seemed a bit more responsive. {} I'll try a different stick calibration after the RC is charged and will let you guys know.

Oh and I did have it out of beginner mode.

Do you mean change mides (...try a different stick calibration...) - The stick calibration is a very rare need, usually the need is indicated by the transmitter beeping for no apparent reason - note it also beeps for C/A.
I would say compass calibration is the most important as it affects the ability of the craft to fly in a straight line - especially if in RTH.

My other thought about forward and aft speed differences would be the effect of wind - wind can be very different at 400ft compared with wind at ground level, if there are any clouds in the sky I observe them as a guide to the wind speed at altitude. Another method of detemining wind speed is to switch to atti mode and see how fast your craft drifts.

This is a new P4. I just got it today and was messing with it briefly. I did the RC stick calibration as a first set up kind of thing. There was no wind and it seemed stable, but when I pushed up on the right stick it seemed sluggish compared to pulling down on the right stick. I'm charging the RC now and will do another calibration in case the initial calibration didn't take. Don't know if that's possible but...

This is a new P4. I just got it today and was messing with it briefly. I did the RC stick calibration as a first set up kind of thing. There was no wind and it seemed stable, but when I pushed up on the right stick it seemed sluggish compared to pulling down on the right stick. I'm charging the RC now and will do another calibration in case the initial calibration didn't take. Don't know if that's possible but...

You may be right about the C/A slowing forward flight - the craft would need to analyse what the forward facing CA cameras are seeing, how about trying with CA turned off (in clear airspace of course...) I most often fly atti mode which disables C/A and gives better speed, sort of like the next step after learn mode off - but if you havent flown atti before, make sure you are in an open space as atti does not use GPS to hold you steady, it is you actually flying, rather than just telloing the craft where to fly and it flying with its intelligent gps/compass/barometer

Thanks, yeah I was thinking it may have been needing to "recover" from the CA test I did. I went towards a wall and it stopped, then I turned(but not immediately) and went to proceed forward. But I didn't notice any further sluggishness(word) due to going in to charge it up. Maybe...

You may be right about the C/A slowing forward flight - the craft would need to analyse what the forward facing CA cameras are seeing, how about trying with CA turned off (in clear airspace of course...) I most often fly atti mode which disables C/A and gives better speed, sort of like the next step after learn mode off - but if you havent flown atti before, make sure you are in an open space as atti does not use GPS to hold you steady, it is you actually flying, rather than just telloing the craft where to fly and it flying with its intelligent gps/compass/barometer
I turn off my OA once I'm clear of the forest as it does slow down the craft, and I think for the reasons you mentioned. I generally leave it off if I am confident my RTH is sufficient to miss everything on the way back. I leave it P mode as you still get the gps function and if I hit something during the trip, I deserve it.

Reactions: Aotearoa Kiwi
I turn off my OA once I'm clear of the forest as it does slow down the craft, and I think for the reasons you mentioned. I generally leave it off if I am confident my RTH is sufficient to miss everything on the way back. I leave it P mode as you still get the gps function and if I hit something during the trip, I deserve it.

Yup, turning off OA is an alternative to atti mode, i just like the idea of flipping the switch to atti mode so when I want to do close-quarters flying i dont have to fiddle the menus to turn it back on (or worse still, forget i turned it off).

As an additional note to the OP, if you do try atti mode, take off and land in p-mode to be safe - here is a good informational video on what to expect in atti mode...
oh, and while im at it make sure your' RTH is high enough, the default value is quite often too low, I have mine at the full 400ft - only lowering it on windy days... waiting a bit longer is always better than parking in a tree

Reactions: rumrunner
Ok..Firmware.. So as I understand it with the latest firmware update it will not let you launch if you're in a "no fly zone". I'm at the 4.9 mile point of the 5.0 mile rule. Currently it just gives an advisory. Now..I'm very "up" on drone etiquette and intend to fly with common sense. Staying below the 400' AGL rule. I'm a 48 year old guy, not a kid that don't understand. I don't want any bad press to our hobby. I plan on going to the airfield and speak with them to see what their thoughts are.(it's a very small dirt runway airfield 4.9 miles away). Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Oh yeah, we live on a nice big piece of land out in the country so I'm not flying through anyones space..No neighbors for a long way.

My current firmware is
Version 01.01.0411-
RC 1.6.0

Last edited:
In atti mode the barometer is still active and will hold relitive hight only

Ok..Firmware.. So as I understand it with the latest firmware update it will not let you launch if you're in a "no fly zone". I'm at the 4.9 mile point of the 5.0 mile rule. Currently it just gives an advisory. Now..I'm very "up" on drone etiquette and intend to fly with common sense. Staying below the 400' AGL rule. I'm a 48 year old guy, not a kid that don't understand. I don't want any bad press to our hobby. I plan on going to the airfield and speak with them to see what their thoughts are.(it's a very small dirt runway airfield 4.9 miles away). Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Oh yeah, we live on a nice big piece of land out in the country so I'm not flying through anyones space..No neighbors for a long way.

My current firmware is
Version 01.01.0411-
RC 1.6.0

I'm wondering if the latest firmware will prevent you from launching in an "advisory" zone for a dirt airfield....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl