New P3S: should I upgrade firmware?

Reaction score
Just ordered a P3S, should arrive on Monday. Having browsed the posts here it seems that many people seem to have horror stories about firmware updates.
Should I leave well alone when it arrives or will it need an update to get it working?

You can fly it without installing the updates. Most people have no trouble installing them.

It's pretty easy on the P3S since the DJI GO app does everything.

Reactions: Squirrel!
It wasn't so much the update process but the malfunction problems associated with updates I am interested in.

Many of the malfunctions are caused by improper update procedures. People who have the P3S seem to have less trouble though. I suspect it's because it's a lot harder to do it incorrectly -- since the process is mostly automatic.

I've not had any issues with the P3S firmware updates. The process is pretty simple if you take your time and not mess with the controller, bird, battery, etc. while it's running through the update. Read your manual. Be patient, have your batteries charged, and when it is all done, shut down the RC, bird, tablet and restart.

i've had one problem - and for some reason the Controller and Bird weren't connected, after I was done. Simple steps to reconnect them, and I was up and away again.

Reactions: gvsukids
Just ordered a P3S, should arrive on Monday. Having browsed the posts here it seems that many people seem to have horror stories about firmware updates.
Should I leave well alone when it arrives or will it need an update to get it working?
It may appear you must update the firmware, but you can ignore it.
You will have to register it before you can fly it, If I am wrong shoot me down, anyway this is not related to the FAA.
What ever name you pick for phantom when you register it cannot be changed, at least I haven't heard of anybody has been able to.

Keep in mind, very few people post when it works correctly.

When you do the firmware, have everything charged up, I guess I would add you would want the gimbal clamp off, actually anytime the phantom is powered on. And it will make loud beeping noises for a long time.

Anybody see any obvious mistakes?

Reactions: gvsukids
When I first connected my P3S, the app indicated that I needed to update the firmware. I did so and after all the loud obnoxious beeping, it said the update had failed. I turned everything off and started over. When it all came up, there was no firmware update needed. I tried to manually install it, but it stated the firmware was up-to-date. I guess it did update !! It flies great
so I guess it did !!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj