New P3S- persistent rc loss

I purchased my P3S in Oct 2016 and it flew great with an amazing range. I was a former 3DR Solo owner and became impressed with the P3S and made the switch as 3DR was dumping the consumer drone market. After about 3 weeks of great performance from the P3S, it started having cyclical loss of signal.
Indications:
- Upon DJI Go startup, the left side of the screen displays [Latest Firmware] and everything is normal except the “Radio Channel Quality cyclically flashes between “Good” and “Poor” and provides a cyclic warning, “Strong Interference, Fly with caution.”
- When flying over about 60' away, it would cyclically lose connection and begin to return home. I could force the drone to fly further away but would be continually interrupted by the loss of signal and RTH.
Controller: Nexus 7 (2013) (Although I also tried an Asus MeMo 8 with the same results).
Attempts to fix:
-Compass calibrations
-IMU Calibration (inside AND outside)
-Format of the micro SD (4 different times using the DJI Go app and a PC)
-Re-linked the drone and the controller (5+ times using the gimbal wheel/S2 flip method and relinking method inside the DJI Go app)
-Downgrades of the Firmware as follows:
--V1.5.7 - failed. The system provided a message saying it was “not allowed.”
--V1.6.8 - successful but still provided the same bad indications and performance
--V1.7.9 - successful but still provides the same bad indications and performance
-Uninstalled, rebooted tablet, and reinstalled the DJI Go App
Where did the problem occur? In two different geographic locations and settings.
-Rural area in the middle of a farm field.
-In a lightly populated residential area.

That's pretty much what I shared with DJI Support. It went back and forth for a while in a few emails, then they sent me this list of instructions.
===From DJI Support===
“Let us go ahead and attempt to resolve this by following these steps:
To resolve your RC signal issues, please try to follow these steps to fix it.
  1. Make sure all the firmware is up to date; the latest version for the Phantom 3 Standard is v1.7.90 (This was the latest version at that time)

2. Re-link the remote controller to the aircraft.

3. The place you choose to fly should be an open and wide area, without high buildings or trees or radio base stations that may cause signal or magnetic interference.

4. The antennas on the RC should be adjusted, here is the tutorial link:
    ?
If the problem still persists, please sync your flight records and send us your DJI account used for that flight so we can analyze it. Kindly provide the information below:

* A screenshot of the current firmware on your ABOUT page located in your DJI Go App.
* A screenshot of the error message encountered.
* What mobile device have you used when you encountered this error?
* Video showing the issue"​
===End of DJI Support Instructions===

After sending these items in, they provided instructions to send the drone in for repair. They sent me another drone. How do I know? The serial number is different and my FAA registration number is gone. So it cost me $5 for a new registration and some time, but I've got a great drone that flies very well AND, DJI stood behind the product. You just have to be persistent, detailed, and follow their instructions.

I hope this helps someone. The problem loss of signal issue seems to be common.

That was long winded but but at least you got the result.

How did you provide video showing the issue?

I have the flick between good and poor radio channel quality Also and always the strong interference message. Doesn't seem to interfere with my flying just yet. But if it does I will start this procedure.

Did you send bird only as I have like many others dbs antenna, so don't mind s replacement but want to keep the controller.

Darren

Last edited:
i just checked all my flight logs. Total of 35 flights and in all except 2 of the 35 I have had this warning in them and all the way through the flight.

Now the more I think about it the more it annoys me. It doesn't seem to affect my flying, and I think I kind of ignore it now.

But hmm. Maybe I should do something??

Also seems fitting the dbs has neither helped or worsened it.

That was long winded but but at least you got the result.

How did you provide video showing the issue?

I have the flick between good and poor radio channel quality Also and always the strong interference message. Doesn't seem to interfere with my flying just yet. But if it does I will start this procedure.

Did you send bird only as I have like many others dbs antenna, so don't mind s replacement but want to keep the controller.

Darren
Dazzauk,
I uploaded a small mp4 video from my cell phone to their online submission form. They could also recreate the flights from when I synchronized the missions to DJI. (A process I didn't know existed until digging into it.) And I sent the bird and the controller (at their request). No batts, props, micro-sd, etc. As a consolation prize, they did send a new set of props and a new micro-sd. So far so good.

i just checked all my flight logs. Total of 35 flights and in all except 2 of the 35 I have had this warning in them and all the way through the flight.

Now the more I think about it the more it annoys me. It doesn't seem to affect my flying, and I think I kind of ignore it now.

But hmm. Maybe I should do something??

Also seems fitting the dbs has neither helped or worsened it.
I've seen where other people have ignored it and it flew fine. My real issue was the actual loss of signal while flying (where it matters).

Reactions: Dazzauk
I'm going to have to try and relink some time soon...now not only am I getting weak/lost signal, but I'm getting poor picture connection or something like that. Could be because I was flying at dusk, I don't know...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik