• Yes

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Yes, new FW makes it safer

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I am undecided

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello, i got a new P3 today for a steal. I am wondering if i should NOT or i SHOULD update the controller & aircraft FW, i currently have the following:
Aircraft - 1.4.10
Controller - 1.4.30

Are there a lot of things in the FW updates beyond what i have that make my craft more stable & safer? Also, i am wondering with the new NFZ's & stuff it is getting a little crazy, would i be better off not updating?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You can review the major firmware changes in the release notes. If you see a feature you'd like to take advantage of, then update to the appropriate firmware release.

would my craft be less likely to crash?
No. All will work just fine on the firmware you're running now. However, the latest version will include the latest fixes. As you can see in the release notes, they only include the highlights. There's no telling what was fixed and not mentioned.

I have never updated from out of the box your bird should still fly like a dream, some updates have hindered performance (reading from other posts) so be aware if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have never updated from out of the box your bird will still flys like a dream, some updates have hindered performance so be aware if you do.

You personally would recommend not updating? You have a P3P & have not updated & have the same FW as mine?

You personally would recommend not updating? You have a P3P & have not updated & have the same FW as mine?

That's just me, seen to many posts on nightmare updates, does your bird fly ok? Some people have lost range on updates or bricked their controller or FPV fails to work which then means you need to downgrade again.

That's just me, seen to many posts on nightmare updates, does your bird fly ok? Some people have lost range on updates or bricked their controller or FPV fails to work which then means you need to downgrade again. Again that's just me others will tell you a different story.

That's just me, seen to many posts on nightmare updates, does your bird fly ok? Some people have lost range on updates or bricked their controller or FPV fails to work which then means you need to downgrade again. Again that's just me others will tell you a different story.

I have not even tried to fly it yet, i un-boxed it an hour ago, i am just wondering if i should or not before i make a mistake that i could not go back on. If what your saying above is the case i may just try flying without updating & see how it goes, if all goes well you would recommend just keeping everything where it is?

First off you MUST calibrate the IMU, very important, but if the bird flys ok just leave the update, my Advice, it's your bird , your money an imu update is all that should be required.

First off you MUST calibrate the IMU, very important, but if the bird flys ok just leave the update, my Advice, it's your bird , your money an imu update is all that should be required.

I think i will take your advice, if you are happily flying & have the same as me i will leave well enough alone. Will i always get the warning i need to update?

What about the battery? Is there a way to update only that?

Yes the bird always warns on updates, but really it's just a friendly reminder, not compulsory.

I updated my primary P3P tonight with some bad results....For some reason the aircraft and rc will not communicate. It's showing I need to calibrate the compass by pressing start and I am not able to find the start calibration button, whereas pressing OK has worked just fine the hundreds of times I have done it in the past. I'm researching the issue now and I'm sure it's probably just user error. I say if it's not broke don't fix it but be advised if you do crash or experience the dreaded "fly away", one of the first questions asked will be if all firmware was up to date. If not, there is no guarantee DJI will be responsive to any problems resulting after the flight.

The new dji app (auto update) looks good...this morning installed the latest firmware on the bird (P3p) and RC...took for a test flight and all is good!

I suggest you to finally update to the latest FW but initially learn to fly, enjoy your P3, read how to systematically update. This is your toy and its your choice to update but you can exercise your choice correctly when you know more about it.

I updated my primary P3P tonight with some bad results....For some reason the aircraft and rc will not communicate. It's showing I need to calibrate the compass by pressing start and I am not able to find the start calibration button, whereas pressing OK has worked just fine the hundreds of times I have done it in the past. I'm researching the issue now and I'm sure it's probably just user error. I say if it's not broke don't fix it but be advised if you do crash or experience the dreaded "fly away", one of the first questions asked will be if all firmware was up to date. If not, there is no guarantee DJI will be responsive to any problems resulting after the flight.

With regards to warranty, There is nothing iron clad on whether they (dji) will cover it or not if it isn't updated, many people wait 15 days or so to update, so they avoid bugs etc etc, warranty should still be ok unless it is written otherwise, i have not found any literature on this, if your the first to publish it well so be it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4