New P3P pilot - recently upgraded from P2V+

Reaction score
Hi All,

long time lurker on the P3P boards, but have had a few posts over on the p2v+ side... but glad to be able to finally post here :)

I recently upgraded from the P2V+ to a P3P from a mate - who was upgrading to a P4...

Besides a myriad of differences, most of which you will be probably familiar with, the most noticeable one for me was the descent speed... it seems to descend really fast when pulling down on the stick, like 10x faster than my P2V+...

I asked my mate, and he said it's always been that way, but even though on paper the specs are 1m/s difference between the 2 models, the p3p seems much faster... I haven't measured it yet to see if the telemetry is roughly 3m/s second, nor have I been able to find a video showing a p3p descending from 3rd person view so I can visually compare the differences, but to me, it seems fast... did anyone else notice that?

Additionally, I was wondering if there are any good tweaks I should be making to the craft/controller/mods etc - I have setup the video/camera settings as per the Phantom Film school guide with my litchi app... and this seems to produce nice stills - I haven't gotten around to filming anything yet...

tl;dr - p3p descends faster then p2v+ - is 1m/s that obvious?
.....and any good first user tweaks?

Cheers,
Matt

Besides a myriad of differences, most of which you will be probably familiar with, the most noticeable one for me was the descent speed... it seems to descend really fast when pulling down on the stick, like 10x faster than my P2V+...

I asked my mate, and he said it's always been that way, but even though on paper the specs are 1m/s difference between the 2 models, the p3p seems much faster... I haven't measured it yet to see if the telemetry is roughly 3m/s second, nor have I been able to find a video showing a p3p descending from 3rd person view so I can visually compare the differences, but to me, it seems fast... did anyone else notice that?

tl;dr - p3p descends faster then p2v+ - is 1m/s that obvious?
1 m/s is very obvious when the P2 you are comparing it with was limited to 2 m/s
That makes the P3 descent 50% faster.
Look closely at your motors and you'll see that they are not vertical.
This is part of the secret sauce that enabled DJI to increase the descent speed and avoid VRS on a vertical descent.

...Look closely at your motors and you'll see that they are not vertical.
This is part of the secret sauce that enabled DJI to increase the descent speed and avoid VRS on a vertical descent.

Ahh - thanks, I haven't noticed that (as I haven't compared them side by side) - but that makes sense... VRS was my primary concern... but if that's the case, and the telemetry matches the specs on paper... then I suppose I shouldn't worry too much... I don't generally descend straight down, unless absolutely necessary... and I will stick to my descending circles pattern.

Cheers,
Matt

I was wondering if there are any good tweaks I should be making to the craft/controller/mods
My favorite tweak is installing the Inspire 1 tablet holder. If you're using anything heavier than an iPhone, you'll probably notice the mount wobbles like this (or it will start to soon).

My favorite tweak is installing the Inspire 1 tablet holder. If you're using anything heavier than an iPhone, you'll probably notice the mount wobbles like this (or it will start to soon).

I use a nexus 6 - it's probably the size of an iphone plus... but it was wobbling, I did take the mount apart and noticed the pole that screws into the controller was very loose... a few cranks and it was all gone... I haven't tried anything bigger (tablet size) - but it has 'fixed' the wobble for my phone - but I will keep an eye on it for the future...

besides being plastic-vs-metal is it constructed any differently?

The only difference is the metal part of the tablet holder. There are a lot of third party companies that make metal replacements, but most are not as nice looking as DJI's. Aesthetics aside though, most of the third party brackets should do the job too.

I use a nexus 6 - it's probably the size of an iphone plus... but it was wobbling, I did take the mount apart and noticed the pole that screws into the controller was very loose... a few cranks and it was all gone... I haven't tried anything bigger (tablet size) - but it has 'fixed' the wobble for my phone - but I will keep an eye on it for the future...

besides being plastic-vs-metal is it constructed any differently?

My Nexus 6 with a very slim case barely fits (too fat). If I hook it onto the bottom hooks and then press the top in as I move the slide down, it just barely clips the top side of the device. Wish those bottom clips were just 1mm taller: then I could push the top back just a little more and get a good clamp on it. I could take the case off of course, but I don't want to have to do that in case it falls out. But I guess it's more likely to fall out with the case on it. Hmm.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4