New P3P owner with some questions...

Reaction score
Hello all. Been a while since I've posted because I lost my Phantom 2 (my fault) and when I saw the P3P for $1159 with a free battery on cyber Monday, I couldn't resist jumping back in. I waited as long as I could for 3DR to get their act together but it hasn't happened to my satisfaction.

Got the newer "A" version (good I guess?) and have been having fun getting everything set up. The technology has sure come a long way in such a short time and I'm very impressed with the new functionality the Go app gives the P3P, which will take some time getting used to for sure.

My main issue at the moment is mounting my tablet to the holder. My tablet's USB slot is centered on the bottom when in landscape orientation. It appeared as though the slot at the bottom of the holder was there to accommodate the supplied USB cable, but its not wide enough to fit through the opening and connect. WTH? Surely there's something I'm missing. Why bother with the slot if it's not big enough. Hopefully this is just a Doh! moment on my part and not DJI's.

Another niggle is I'm unable to engage IOC mode, even though I've turned off beginner mode and turned on multi-angle (or whatever it's called). When switching to "F" mode the app gives me the message that IOC activation requires that I launch first. OK. A bit strange but I'll give it a go when ready to take my maiden flight. Could this have something to do with the pre-installed 1.4.10 firmware? Holding off upgrading for a while until a consensus of opinion sways in favor of 1.5.xx (or should I just do it?).

My main objective will be to take awesome video (my day job is producing non-aerial video) so I'm looking for any Go app/gimbal tweaks that will result in the smoothest video possible (if it's ever legal to go commercial without sacrificing my first-born, then I'll be ahead of the game).

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
My tablet's USB slot is centered on the bottom when in landscape orientation.
This is something I don't recall ever seeing mentioned on the forum. What tablet are you using?

Hello all. Been a while since I've posted because I lost my Phantom 2 (my fault) and when I saw the P3P for $1159 with a free battery on cyber Monday, I couldn't resist jumping back in. I waited as long as I could for 3DR to get their act together but it hasn't happened to my satisfaction.

Got the newer "A" version (good I guess?) and have been having fun getting everything set up. The technology has sure come a long way in such a short time and I'm very impressed with the new functionality the Go app gives the P3P, which will take some time getting used to for sure.

My main issue at the moment is mounting my tablet to the holder. My tablet's USB slot is centered on the bottom when in landscape orientation. It appeared as though the slot at the bottom of the holder was there to accommodate the supplied USB cable, but its not wide enough to fit through the opening and connect. WTH? Surely there's something I'm missing. Why bother with the slot if it's not big enough. Hopefully this is just a Doh! moment on my part and not DJI's.

Another niggle is I'm unable to engage IOC mode, even though I've turned off beginner mode and turned on multi-angle (or whatever it's called). When switching to "F" mode the app gives me the message that IOC activation requires that I launch first. OK. A bit strange but I'll give it a go when ready to take my maiden flight. Could this have something to do with the pre-installed 1.4.10 firmware? Holding off upgrading for a while until a consensus of opinion sways in favor of 1.5.xx (or should I just do it?).

My main objective will be to take awesome video (my day job is producing non-aerial video) so I'm looking for any Go app/gimbal tweaks that will result in the smoothest video possible (if it's ever legal to go commercial without sacrificing my first-born, then I'll be ahead of the game).

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Which tablet are you using -- most of the ones I have seen have the USB on the side in portrait

Take off to switch to F Mode and it will work

The latest upgrade appears to be fine-- no issues at all on mine.. Your call on whether to go or not. the latest did fix some 1.4.1 issues according to some of he posts I have read including so called "drift".

Get it in the air!!

Holding off upgrading for a while until a consensus of opinion sways in favor of 1.5.xx (or should I just do it?).
It's easy to get the impression that there are a lot of problems from reading the forum.
People with problems write about them and get a lot of attention.
The reasons they have update problems are often due to other factors and don't necessarily indicate a problem with the firmware.
There was a thread a week or so back with users having no problems with the new firmware reporting in.
I just tried to find it but couldn't find it.
From memory it had 5 or 6 pages of users saying they had no problems before it got lost in the swirl of old threads.
People don't often write in to say they have no problems - it makes for boring reading.
But that doesn't mean that most users are having update issues.

Reactions: bobmyers
Awesome answers! I can see the forum is still a great community after my extended absence. Great to be back in the saddle again.

The tablet I'm hoping to use is my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. A bit dated but I did a search and there is at least one forum member using it successfully. I will kludge something together before modifying the holder to see if it can keep up. If it proves worthy, a drill should do the trick. I will also have to get an extender because the tablet is about 1/4 inch too wide.

Having a colonoscopy in the morning so it may be Thursday before I can get her airborne. Is that too much information?;) Boy am I hungry.

Last edited:
Awesome answers! I can see the forum is still a great community after my extended absence. Great to be back in the saddle again.

The tablet I'm hoping to use is my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. A bit dated but I did a search and there is at least one forum member using it successfully. I will kludge something together before modifying the holder to see if it can keep up. If it proves worthy, a drill should do the trick. If not, well, Christmas is just around the corner!

Having a colonoscopy in the morning so it may be Thursday before I can get her airborne. Is that too much information?;) Boy am I hungry.
That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much information. don't be eating:D:D:D

The tablet I'm hoping to use is my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. A bit dated but I did a search and there is at least one forum member using it successfully. I will kludge something together before modifying the holder to see if it can keep up. If it proves worthy, a drill should do the trick. I will also have to get an extender because the tablet is about 1/4 inch too wide.

Can't you just turn the tablet so the usb port is on top and then just off set it a touch?

Can't you just turn the tablet so the usb port is on top and then just off set it a touch?
I thought of that but it would be so off center that I don't think it would be a comfortable experience. Plus with an extender it would become even more unwieldy.

I should have bought stock in Charmin today. Giving the wife my first meal wishes for tomorrow. Broccoli cheese soup in a bread bowl from Panera.

Sorry, Mr. Whipple is calling my name again...

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
I dealt with the usb in the middle with my Tab 4. I shaved the usb plug to fit, but the device lagged so much that, once I started attempting full battery flights, they always ended with a blind RTH and a prayer. I finally upgraded to Tab S2 9.7.

I dealt with the usb in the middle with my Tab 4. I shaved the usb plug to fit, but the device lagged so much that, once I started attempting full battery flights, they always ended with a blind RTH and a prayer. I finally upgraded to Tab S2 9.7.
And I think that just about sums it up. Gotta bite the bullet.

Some great advice here. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: bobmyers
Not sure if this helps you.... (iPad Air shown in picture)

d1b08fd0013229a440f15f0143710c2f.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers