New P3P new cooling fan on 4K camera

I have just received this earth-shattering response from DJI European technical support team:

Jan 7, 23:39

Dear Phantom,

Thank you for contacting the DJI technical support.
The phantom 3 advanced is not compatible with the pro camera.

There is no driver to activate the fan in the gimbal.

Thanks for choosing DJI
With kind regards,
DJI NL Technical Support

If that is true, this gimbal fan is not functioning for anyone who has retrofitted a Pro camera onto their P3A.
After my search for 'gimbal fan' on this forum, it seems a lot of users have hardly noticed the presence of the fan, let alone checked whether it is working.

It would be great if someone who has upgraded the camera on a P3A can confirm that their fan is actually spinning.

And I would love to know how the fan behaves on a real P3P. Does it really just switch on and off with the battery power, or only when shooting 4k, or only when a thermal limit is reached on the video board. It might even have speed control like a proper PC graphics card.
I would also not be surprised to hear that the gimbal fans on a number of P3P are no longer working (due to crashes, debris getting into the tiny unguarded fan, etc), and that it is not having any adverse effect (in the short term anyway).

I asked someone who has done the upgrade about the fan and what DJI told you and he said..................
not true,
i've done plenty and the fan does turn on..........which is what I thought

I have just received this earth-shattering response from DJI European technical support team:

Dear Phantom,

Thanks for choosing DJI
With kind regards,
DJI NL Technical Support

If that is true, this gimbal fan is not functioning for anyone who has retrofitted a Pro camera onto their P3A.
After my search for 'gimbal fan' on this forum, it seems a lot of users have hardly noticed the presence of the fan, let alone checked whether it is working.

It would be great if someone who has upgraded the camera on a P3A can confirm that their fan is actually spinning.

And I would love to know how the fan behaves on a real P3P. Does it really just switch on and off with the battery power, or only when shooting 4k, or only when a thermal limit is reached on the video board. It might even have speed control like a proper PC graphics card.
I would also not be surprised to hear that the gimbal fans on a number of P3P are no longer working (due to crashes, debris getting into the tiny unguarded fan, etc), and that it is not having any adverse effect (in the short term anyway).

I asked someone who has done the upgrade about the fan and what DJI told you and he said..................
not true,

Well done Did3d. You really found a Pro camera for 400€? Mine cost more than that in Great British Sterling Pounds. And the fan did3dnt work!
I should cancel the replacement camera if I can get one in Paris for 400€.
Now I wait to see if you can really get a 10Mbs live feed. Mine never goes above 6Mbps however I set the slider.

Andy
Ho the camera 4k pro buy on "le bon coin"
it is new but buy someone who has to buy 2 by mistake.
indeed costs about € 512.

No all new Files mp4 video of the pro cam never goes 6mps too
but there are lot difference when I set the quality betwen 4 to 10 mbps.
But the Mbps of file mp4 video is may be not the real mbps of the transmission live,
it is the mbps of the record of transmission.( I dont know if I m clear...)

Last edited:
not true,

Exact DJI lie
but if you insist they finish to "admet" that is possible :
this is all my dialogue with DJI the begining is below:

5d2abb97f434479d095c33b1cf386dd0

Anne (DJI)

Jan 14, 15:56

Dear Didier

I have confirmed with the senior technician that, the gimbal could be switched.
But there is a furthur step you need to pay attention to, please kindly read the information below:
If you are going to install a Phantom 3 Pro gimbal on a Phantom 3 Adv , please remember to replace the Phantom 3 Adv firmware with Phantom 3 Pro firmware . You'll just need to download the Phantom 3 Pro firmware and do it as a usual upgrade . Here's the link to Phantom 3 Pro firmware version 1.6.4 : http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/P3X_FW_V01.06.0040.zip

After upgrading, the drone would be Phantom 3 Professional instead of Phantom 3 Advance.

Best Regards

a36c2e5799454a53f86cb6b840e41ef6

Did3d

Jan 14, 15:29

hello Anne,

Can i have a technical explication why it s not recommended to do so?
think you
Very best regards,
Didier

Le 14/01/2016 05:15, Anne (DJI) a écrit :

Anne (DJI)

Jan 14, 12:15

Dear Sir

According to the technician, it is not recommended to do so.

Best Regards,

Did3d

Jan 13, 21:00

hello
I think you dont know the answer.
can you transfer me to a competent technician.
Can I install a (phantom 3 pro 4K camera) on a (PHANTOM 3 ADVANCED) ?
Best Regard

Le 13/01/2016 13:05, Anne (DJI) a écrit :

Did3d

Jan 13, 20:48

Why?
other people do it and it work if we install phantom 3 pro firmware after.

Le 13/01/2016 13:05, Anne (DJI) a écrit :

Anne (DJI)

Jan 13, 20:05

Dear Sir

We do not suggest you to do the install.

Best Regards,

Did3d

Jan 13, 19:12

Hello again
My question is :
Can I install a (phantom 3 pro 4K camera) on a (PHANTOM 3 ADVANCED) ??????
THANK YOU!
MR Didier Picard.

Le 13/01/2016 11:02, Anne (DJI) a écrit :

Anne (DJI)

Jan 13, 18:02

Dear Picard

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

The camera of Phantom 3 Professioal equips with:4K video camera, 12 megapixel photos and 3-axis stabilization gimbal.
For more information, please view: Phantom 3 Professional - Camera | DJI

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

Did3d

Jan 11, 16:16

Products: Phantom 3 Advanced

Name: Picard

Email: [email protected]

Dealers: drone Experts

Tel: 0606622332

Subject: Change camera of Phantome 3 Advanced to Camera 4K

Message: Hello, I would like Change the HD camera module on my phantome 3 advanced by phantom 3 pro camera module 4K. did the video stream in real time will be switch in 10Mbs like a pro? did my quality video on my tablette will be better in live video? did the fan on the pro module will start? thank you for answers. Didier Picard. France.

Ho the camera 4k pro buy on "le bon coin"
it is new but buy someone who has to buy 2 by mistake.
indeed costs about € 512.

No all new Files mp4 video of the pro cam never goes 6mps too
but there are lot difference when I set the quality betwen 4 to 10 mbps.
But the Mbps of file mp4 video is may be not the real mbps of the transmission live,
it is the mbps of the record of transmission.( I dont know if I m clear...)
It's a good point that the Phantom is transmitting more than the video stream. But not a lot more. And that would not explain why the video bitrate on the P3A is actually HIGHER than DJI's published 2Mbps rate. Whereas the P3P video bitrate is much less than claimed

Andy

DJI wrote the same to me. I think it is only commercial speak. Otherwise they would give an explanation. They see they will not be able to fool us much longer that the difference between the Advanced and Pro is just extra chips on the video card and a $2 fan. I think that Hunch has more than a hunch that this is true....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile apps aid the
Jan 2016 Update: In the latest version of the FAQ, DJI have changed their tune completely:
1. Are the gimbals on Phantom 3 Professional, Advanced and Standard interchangeable?

The gimbals for Phantom 3 Professional and Advanced are interchangeable but please make sure the firmware of the aircraft stays the same with the firmware of the gimbal. For example, if you have placed a Phantom 3 Professional gimbal onto a Phantom 3 Advanced, then please update the your aircraft to the latest Phantom 3 Professional firmware.
By now we all knew this. I have been flying the same P3 alternately with HD and 4k cameras for the last month. If the 4k image really was 4x better than HD then I might be convinced that the 4k camera is worth the cost to upgrade. But today I am not convinced. Perhaps if I also had a 4k TV then I would be! The 4k camera image is sharper than the HD camera even after downscaling to HD, but then the image tends to 'fizz' on fine detail.

Dear Phantom,

Thanks for choosing DJI
With kind regards,
DJI NL Technical Support

I can't picture a downside into running a fan like this continually other than the obvious: 1) Power, if the fan power draw is meaningful, 2) Fan life, if it seldom is needed, and is selectively turned on.

Dear Phantom,

Thanks for choosing DJI
With kind regards,
DJI NL Technical Support

Finally I got another 4k camera and mounted it on my P3A. On this camera the fan starts within 1 minute of powering up the Phantom (of course with P3P firmware). So what DJI wrote in the e-mail above is dead wrong, as many on this forum have said from their own experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj