New P3A owner- First HDR

Reaction score
Hello all,

Here is my first attempt at a sunrise HDR photo. Please share some tips and CC. This was taken a few mornings ago on a brisk 20* morning in Upstate New York on the shore of Lake Ontario. I cannot wait until spring!

Attachments

• Untitled_HDR2 Full res 1.jpg
    Untitled_HDR2 Full res 1.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 618
It's got alot of potential, there's great texture to the sky and clouds, but I think your white balance is off. It looks very purple and blue. Try warming the color temp up. What are you using for post processing software?

I mainly use Lightroom, it's an easy fix there with the temperature slider. In PS, you would have to add an adjustment layer, Color Balance, then warm it from there, but I don't know the PS controls well enough. Not sure if CS6 has Camera Raw as a filter, but if so, you can use that to adjust temperature the same way as LR.

In all honesty, the shot was very poorly processed. I tried fixing it, but there is only so much you can do with a JPEG that has been badly exposed.
Revised.jpg

I truly find no reason for not shooting all the time in BOTH raw and jpeg. That way you always have the original dng to rely on. I like the shot btw :)

Yep, shoot in JPEG+RAW. Then bring the RAW file (I think it has an extension of DNG) into Adobe Lightroom. With LR and a RAW image, you can adjust the exposure, ISO, everything. With JPEG, you can't do much as it's already compressed.

Hello all,

Here is my first attempt at a sunrise HDR photo. Please share some tips and CC. This was taken a few mornings ago on a brisk 20* morning in Upstate New York on the shore of Lake Ontario. I cannot wait until spring!

The sky looks pretty good but as mentioned before your white balance is off. Also, make sure you always shoot in JPEG+RAW. You may be able to fix the image in Photoshop or light room later on.

I took my first HDR picture in Arizona a few weeks ago and I had left my white balance to incandescent and everything came out blue. I was so pissed because I was now on my way to NYC when i saw the shots. I looked at the SD Card and saw DNG files and wondered what they were. I knew I had selected JPEG+RAW but did not know that was the extension. Once I loaded it up, I was able to warm it up and make the colors pop.

Hey I am no pro, but your on the path to getting some awesome shots.

Attachments

• DJI_0071 copy.jpg
    DJI_0071 copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 431
Yes, The best option is JPEG+RAW. You can browse your jpegs, when u find the one you like, then, edit the corresponding DNG, it has the same number.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic