New P3 Standard flyer, need some help.

Reaction score
Hi all, working with my new Phantom 3 standard, being careful and studying hard so I don't smash it or screw it up. I have a couple basic questions; searching the forums was hard to find specific answers. Probably addressed somewhere. Thanks for the help, here we go:

1. Setting Waypoints. Keeping the question simple, lets say waypoint 1 is at 50 ft. Waypoint 2 is at 100 ft. When the drone flies from Point 1 (at 50 ft) to Point 2, does it first climb to 100 ft at point 1, then fly laterally to Point 2? Or, does it remain at 50 ft and fly laterally from Point 1 to Point 2, then climb to 100 ft when reaching Point 2? Or, does it fly from Point 1 to Point 2 both forward and vertically at the same time, so as to be at 100 ft when it reaches Waypoint 2?

2. The same question above, but from takeoff point to reach Waypoint 1. On lift off, will it climb vertically to 50 ft then laterally to Point 1, or will fly to Point 1 at hover altitude then climb to 50 ft, or will it fly forward and vertically at the same to so as to reach waypoint 1 at 50 ft?

Obviously those questions are critical for terrain and obstruction avoidance!!

3. I don't know the wind speed aloft. I imagine there is some limit of wind velocity that would cause the drone to drift far and/or not be able to fly into a headwind, or perhaps not be able to return to home in some degree of headwind or crosswind. How do you all handle that concern, or is it not a concern because the drone is more than capable of correcting for upper wind speed? (obviously, I would never fly the drone on a 'windy' day, whatever that definition means to a drone). I wouldn't even know the wind velocity aloft.

(I find the owner's manual and even online videos to be lacking in specific instructions. Maybe that's just me)..... Thx!!!!!

The drone generally climbs to it's desired height while it travels there. IE When it auto takoffs headed to waypoint one it rises to a fw feet, then starts heading for teh waypoint in a gradual incline.

The wind can easily overcome your Phantom. There have been stories here of a phantom carried away by the wind. It can say, do around 30 MPH give or take. So if you are flying directly against the wind youmay only be able to do 10 MPH.

The automatic Return To Home is set to something like 20 MPH. Some people have lost contact with their bird in an above RTH speed wind and since they could not send signals to it to overide the RTH speed, it was carried away trying to fly home.

Hope this helps. have fun and just use common sense.

Thanks Kirby, I do not plan on flying a mile high. Just well above very tall tree level, max 200-300 ft probably. Maybe later I will go higher. Will the local weather forecast winds basically apply to those altitudes (200-300 ft) so I can use local weather as an accurate guide? Thx....

Yeah, you can trust the local weather forecasts,generally. Be aware that the wind at your altitude is usually much greater than near the ground where it is slowed substantially by trees and buildings. A little 10 MPH breeze at 10 or 15 feet can be 20 or more upstairs. Remember the FAA does not want your drone above 400 feet. Just remember, if it looks 'Iffy', it probably is iffy. You will be fine

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4