New P3 motors run really hot

Reaction score
I had a P3 that had a spectacular hi-wind water crash... so I bought a new one. This one the motors run noticeably hotter that my first one.The new one went for a test flight...straight up to ~400 feet took a few pics and back down again (in low wind.). Motors were very hot to touch. Comments or concerns are welcome.
TIA

At first blush I'd say as long as they are all similar in temp you're good but the problem is 'very hot to the touch' is a wee bit subjective.

Anyway to measure so others could then compare temps?

Reactions: zona5101
Sounds like a perfectly good reason to add a infrared thermometer to my tool kit.... I will pick one up and update this by the weekend.

I did the same "flight" last night, zona, up to 365' & came straight down to home, motors were just warm to the touch.
I;ve been watching/feeling my motors (3 advanced) after every flight because last week I landed her & she sat sideways & one motor, prop.stuck in the sand, giving off the horrible "motor scream of mercy" until I got motor shut down.
Now, i'm new to flying (8-10 flights), but, I do check motors now after every flight & never expeirenced more than a, mildly warm to the touch.
I have a hand held infrared, will check temps next flights.

Reactions: zona5101
Good to note ambient temp too.

Does 'zona5101' suggest Arizona? i.e. hot, hot, hot :cool:

Zona does designate Arizona...where I went to school: UofA... I live near Boise, ID now. Still it can get pretty hot here. I'll note ambient as well when I measure motor temps... thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20