New P3 flyer - really limited to 393ft??

Unless it's hidden somewhere, or if it's because I'm in "P-mode" I don't see where it can be over-ridden to go above 400ft". I have the latest firmware.
See that a nice guy I am? I just set it up on my kitchen table for you! :)

It's the first item on the MC Settings screen, in meters. Press the icon immediately to the right of the Home symbol on the camera view. In the US, it gives you a warning about the FAA limit, and then lets you agree.

IMG_2983.jpg

Reactions: JohnK
Really? I haven't looked at a ton of them, but most of the 333 exemptions I've read mentioned a 400ft limit.
You need to fly under a COA even with a 333 for commercial flight. To streamline the COA approval process the FAA issued a blanket COA that limits 333 exempted commercial flights to 200 ft, operating under that COA without further approval. You can still apply for a flight specific COA that could allow higher, but if operating under the blanket one 200 ft is the limit: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82245

You need to fly under a COA even with a 333 for commercial flight. To streamline the COA approval process the FAA issued a blanket COA that limits 333 exempted commercial flights to 200 ft, operating under that COA without further approval. You can still apply for a flight specific COA that could allow higher, but if operating under the blanket one 200 ft is the limit: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82245

Ah, so if you need a COA to fly near an airport?

Ah, so if you need a COA to fly near an airport?
Well...now that there is a blanket COA...everyone with a 333 exemption is automatically granted that. The blanket COA: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82245 specifies its conditions (including height and distance parameters). If you need anything outside the limits of the Blanket COA, you can apply for a flight specific one.

See that a nice guy I am? I just set it up on my kitchen table for you! :)

It's the first item on the MC Settings screen, in meters. Press the icon immediately to the right of the Home symbol on the camera view. In the US, it gives you a warning about the FAA limit, and then lets you agree.

View attachment 27896

Mine looks a little different; things are in a diff order. Not sure if that's the firmware version or not. But thank you. I'll run a little test later to see if I can get over 400ft, and then I'll probably crap my pants. Thanks again. I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't work, even with beginner mode off. We'll see.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
Mine looks a little different; things are in a diff order. Not sure if that's the firmware version or not. But thank you. I'll run a little test later to see if I can get over 400ft, and then I'll probably crap my pants. Thanks again. I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't work, even with beginner mode off. We'll see.
Glad to help. I've had all the Android versions since early May. And I'm on the most current version right now. That setting has always been there somewhere. Good luck!

FYI, the Blanket COA also requires a Safety Observer, filing a D Notam, aircraft registration # , documentation of all operations filed on a monthly basis and more. Lots of hoops, but, the only way you can operate commercially outside of filing for your own COA.

I rarely fly above 100m above ground level (~330 feet) to get the shots I need. I shoot mostly, and very selectively, in urban areas .... where private and commercial properties are rarely larger than 2 hectares (5 acres).
I guess if you need to get something larger than that, then you're gonna put a lot at risk.

Reactions: JohnK
I rarely fly above 100m above ground level (~330 feet) to get the shots I need. I shoot mostly, and very selectively, in urban areas .... where private and commercial properties are rarely larger than 2 hectares (5 acres).
I guess if you need to get something larger than that, then you're gonna put a lot at risk.

Agreed. I get nervous when I can no longer see it ... most of the best video and photos I have seen have not required high altitude, long range, nor fast speed.

Reactions: bobomet
I did this one in April 2014 with my P2V for a client who was planning a major landscaping project around this historic landmark. The shot was taken at 500 ft., and it was plenty high up to get the needed area.

Attachments

• RVA Carillon at 500ft.jpg
    RVA Carillon at 500ft.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 276
I did this one in April 2014 with my P2V for a client who was planning a major landscaping project around this historic landmark. The shot was taken at 500 ft., and it was plenty high up to get the needed area.
Other than stitching images together, most of the property shots I take are of 80 acres +. One was a section (640 acres). There is no way to even think about that at 500ft. When I have to go high I call the local ATC and get it cleared. They are more then willing to make my life easy because I go the extra mile. Its REALLY not that hard!

Reactions: bobomet
Thanks all. I tried changing to Beginner-Mode OFF and setting my Max Altitude to 500 and it still limited me to just under 400ft. I just want the option of going higher if I'm in a location which it would benefit from. I don't plan on landing on the moon or anything.

I saw this video and it mentioned if the GPS is not on or doesn't have a good signal, it won't travel above 400'
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31