New P3 flyer - really limited to 393ft??

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my P3 this past Saturday and was fortunate enough to use it for a wedding I was photographing. I updated the firmware on the controller and plane per the vendor recommendation, and now I'm not able to go above 393ft in any situation. FAA keeps 400ft as a "suggestion" as far as I know and I can see I'm able to specify maximum altitude to 500m which should be well over 1500ft. Am I really limited to 400ft or are there other ways around this? I have no intention on flying through clouds, but certainly I should be fine up to about 700ft or so to get perspectives around mountains, etc.

Thanks in advance

John
Ventura County, Ca

You have to have the phantom running and connected to your app. Then you can raise max altitude to 500 meters.

You should also disable beginner mode in the DJI GO app.

I have my iPhone 5s using the DJI Go app using the latest firmware. I believe I saw the area where I was able to specify maximum altitude from 0-500m, but am not sure it's there with the newest firmware. Even when I had it at 500m, it would still limit itself to about 400ft.

Disabling the beginner mode.... that might do the trick. I'll have to read-up on what that means and what I might need to look out for. I typically just fly around a couple hundred ft from where I am, always LOS.

Reactions: Bag1
Its that you SHOULDN'T go over 400'. Yes, you can take it to 500 meters in the app.

But seriously... just fly under the guidelines. Every time you push the envelope just for the sake of pushing it, you put each of us at additional risk for more regulation. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Its that you SHOULDN'T go over 400'. Yes, you can take it to 500 meters in the app.

I'm all for safety. I'm also taking this to a couple different countries next month where they don't have these restrictions and want flexibility in my vertical and horizontal range.

Reactions: Bag1
and remember 400 ft is from ground level, so if you are in a valley, 400 ft up from there, but if you are on a mountain/hill top that is 2000ft above the valley floor, you can go 400ft above that, so take off from high ground if you want those shots and within the guidelines

and remember 400 ft is from ground level, so if you are in a valley, 400 ft up from there, but if you are on a mountain/hill top that is 2000ft above the valley floor, you can go 400ft above that, so take off from high ground if you want those shots and within the guidelines
And THAT right there is what makes all the arguments for safety go out the window!

And THAT right there is what makes all the arguments for safety go out the window!
Actually, I think THAT is what makes it a guideline. It's really up to us to be reasonable and safe, not try to find a loophole. You could go up to the roof of a skyscraper and launch but you know it goes against the spirit of the rule.

I don't think the OP was actually trying to be unsafe, but then we see almost every day that someone thought it would be cool to fly their drone into the path of incoming aircraft too, just because they can.

Reactions: JohnK
I don't think the OP was actually trying to be unsafe, but then we see almost every day that someone thought it would be cool to fly their drone into the path of incoming aircraft too, just because they can.

Exactly right. I work for the military on base and the last thing I would want to do is put the people I work with in danger. My goal is to get the most from my P3 under legal laws. Ethics and guidelines are typically subjective however and best practice may deviate from what the majority believes.

I certainly wasnt trying to be unsafe, those are the rules, apart from military aircraft no planes are going to be below 400ft from the top of the mountain, nor helicopters, so you are well within your rights to go up a mountain and take off

400ft is twice as high as I can go under the 333 exemption and COA.
OK, I'll bite. What does that mean? I'm happy to stay under 400ft, since I can sometimes no longer see it at that height, and the videos from there are spectacular.

I just took it out and did some videos of Malibu, but wasn't able to find the "BEGINNER MODE" in the app. Will have to look it up when I get home

Definitely not a 400ft limit. I've been up 1500ft with no problems. Was in international waters no FAA there. Still had 63% battery life, annoying that 500m can't be lifted. Have taken my P2 up 2500' before in international waters.

If I recall correctly (from my beginner days, last spring), beginner mode lets you go up to 100 feet. The app normally limits altitude to 400 feet (in the US), but you can override it.

If I recall correctly (from my beginner days, last spring), beginner mode lets you go up to 100 feet. The app normally limits altitude to 400 feet (in the US), but you can override it.

Unless it's hidden somewhere, or if it's because I'm in "P-mode" I don't see where it can be over-ridden to go above 400ft". I have the latest firmware.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl