New P3 Firmware update in October

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the new firmware for the P3A/P will be released? I heard somewhere that it would be this month.

Also, does anyone know what will be in it? I'm thinking of the new FAA regs being introduced, more NFZs and also a built-in 400ft high restriction that cannot be overridden.

Cheers.

Nick

ive heard there is only a 30ft flight limit for all drones!!

Reactions: Options
So you're basing this on absolutely nothing at all?

Probably not worth posting then?
What's the point of your post...I'm asking for forum member comments on this, not stupid replies.

it is a valid question, like others have sensibly commented, I am new to this industry and your comment does nothing to help.. My 2 pence worth. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Alanbathurst
Latest FW will include auto registration with FAA :p
Okay thanks. So I assume you won't be able to use the UAV until a pre registration is done and the UAV is then 'un locked'. And if pilots don't want to upgrade (I guess a lot of pilots might not) because of registration, then what happens.

Well DJI said its due, but now its overdue.

I would not hold my breath.

Last edited:
What's the point of your post...I'm asking for forum member comments on this, not stupid replies.

it is a valid question, like others have sensibly commented, I am new to this industry and your comment does nothing to help.. My 2 pence worth. Cheers

My point was to ask what's the point of your post!

If you've heard somewhere it might be more locked down great, say what and where you heard it. But it sounds like you've just guessed then posted your guess work, which others will repost, this is how rumours start.

When you say new FAA regs (not that the FAA cover the UK, the CAA do) I assume you are referring to the recent requirement to register? Which again only applies to the USA?

If so sleep tight friend, the CAA is way behind the FAA. They are only starting to propose registration and even then it's only for commercial use at this stage House of Lords calls for compulsory registration of drones

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Okay thanks. So I assume you won't be able to use the UAV until a pre registration is done and the UAV is then 'un locked'. And if pilots don't want to upgrade (I guess a lot of pilots might not) because of registration, then what happens.

He was joking. Let's don't assume anything.

We need a "Wildly Hypothetical Conjecture" forum with a disclaimer "the posts in this forum are in no way based on facts, or even plausible likelihood, and as such any attempt to re-post the "information" here into an actual forum will result in charges of intentional rumor mongering. Your avatar will be permanently marked accordingly by site administrators"
:cool:

Does anyone know when the new firmware for the P3A/P will be released? I heard somewhere that it would be this month.

Also, does anyone know what will be in it? I'm thinking of the new FAA regs being introduced, more NFZs and also a built-in 400ft high restriction that cannot be overridden.

Cheers.

Nick
The last we heard it was due at the end of October and will include a new encryption protocol.

That word came about a month ago or so. At the time, I speculated that it would give a way for local authorities to disable, control, and/or read the serial number to identify the owner of a rogue drone. The same as the authorities are trying to get Apple to do right now - give them a way to bypass encryption. I also guessed it would all be in place in time for the holidays when there would be many more of us in the air.

Even though it was said to be a crazy conspiracy theory, I still believe that is the main objective of the upcoming new app and FW. The FAA / DOT announcement this past Monday to me only supports my prior speculation.

Clearly I could be completely wrong, so take it all with a grain of salt. Perhaps the government doesn't want to know who is flying a drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickyb
It will be out soon as beta is finished.

Btw, we will also soon have a new function that will allow us to see other DJI Pilots and given the ability to message them should you want to meet up and fly together.

It's also being looked into to have a door to door dji tech representatives. I really like that idea!

Btw, we will also soon have a new function that will allow us to see other DJI Pilots and given the ability to message them should you want to meet up and fly together.

It's also being looked into to have a door to door dji tech representatives. I really like that idea!

Bit like a dating app.

Love at first flyby....

The last we heard it was due at the end of October and will include a new encryption protocol.

That word came about a month ago or so. At the time, I speculated that it would give a way for local authorities to disable, control, and/or read the serial number to identify the owner of a rogue drone. The same as the authorities are trying to get Apple to do right now - give them a way to bypass encryption. I also guessed it would all be in place in time for the holidays when there would be many more of us in the air.

Even though it was said to be a crazy conspiracy theory, I still believe that is the main objective of the upcoming new app and FW. The FAA's announcement this past Monday to me only supports my prior speculation.

Clearly I could be completely wrong, so take it all with a grain of salt. Perhaps the government doesn't want to know who is flying a drone.
Thanks for your detailed reply here. I guess its just wait and see.

I like the idea of DJI 'swarming' functionality. Did you beta test it?

The new iOS Go app is up. It updates the firmware on the radio controller right out of the device app. Very snazzy, if I do say so, myself. Hahaha
Can't wait to try it out. Later today ...

RedHotPoker

I thought it was the DOT that wants drones to be registered? So, do I need a license plate or an N number? will I need an inspection each year?

Reactions: Options
I like the idea of DJI 'swarming' functionality. Did you beta test it?

When I 1st saw that new function I thought well it's just a hidden way to track everyone. But as I thought about it, I thought.."So what if it is". You know if you are not doing anything wrong, why worry about it.

I have not tested the feature yet as it is not in this beta test. I actually took this round off to modifying my P3. I will however be on the next phase which should be around 2 weeks out. And that is phase I predict will have many new functions included. When we were finishing the new flight modes at the end of last month, they mentioned there was several more additions coming. What is being tested right now is all focused mainly on the R/C and recently added new motors.

Btw, as a reminder to those that plan to upgrade at some point, try to follow these tips. And these tips are mostly how dji has suggested we do things at testing times. Actually I will list the tips so that you know if it came from dji or from me. I will include either a "d" or "f" after the listed number such as 1d,2d,3f,4d, ect. The "d" for dji and the "f" for frank.

These tips pertain to both P3P and P3A.
1f. Always try and save each version of App's and Firmware, especially when there has been options to reinstall. You never know when your device may work with old version but not the new version until they have taken the time to fix it.
2d. Delete the old app version before installing the new version. From the device go to settings/ app's/ and select the dji app and uninstall. Do not delete any folders or files from anywhere else. You can then load the new app version and continue on with it's setup.
3d. Prior to upgrading firmware, always remove everything off of the micro-SD card. Then add a copy of the new firmware .bin file only.
4f. After successfully installing both App and Firmware, you 1st calibrate the Gimbal.
5f. Next at a minimum at least observe the sensor's to see if they appear to be with in spec. If so, no need to calibrate IMU. If the IMU does need to be calibrated then always do the Advanced Calibration. Make sure to get the aircraft as cold as possible. This will help to increase start time!
6f. Calibrate the Compass. (I do this before every flight)

When I 1st saw that new function I thought well it's just a hidden way to track everyone. But as I thought about it, I thought.."So what if it is". You know if you are not doing anything wrong, why worry about it.

I have not tested the feature yet as it is not in this beta test. I actually took this round off to modifying my P3. I will however be on the next phase which should be around 2 weeks out. And that is phase I predict will have many new functions included. When we were finishing the new flight modes at the end of last month, they mentioned there was several more additions coming. What is being tested right now is all focused mainly on the R/C and recently added new motors.

Btw, as a reminder to those that plan to upgrade at some point, try to follow these tips. And these tips are mostly how dji has suggested we do things at testing times. Actually I will list the tips so that you know if it came from dji or from me. I will include either a "d" or "f" after the listed number such as 1d,2d,3f,4d, ect. The "d" for dji and the "f" for frank.

These tips pertain to both P3P and P3A.
1f. Always try and save each version of App's and Firmware, especially when there has been options to reinstall. You never know when your device may work with old version but not the new version until they have taken the time to fix it.
2d. Delete the old app version before installing the new version. From the device go to settings/ app's/ and select the dji app and uninstall. Do not delete any folders or files from anywhere else. You can then load the new app version and continue on with it's setup.
3d. Prior to upgrading firmware, always remove everything off of the micro-SD card. Then add a copy of the new firmware .bin file only.
4f. After successfully installing both App and Firmware, you 1st calibrate the Gimbal.
5f. Next at a minimum at least observe the sensor's to see if they appear to be with in spec. If so, no need to calibrate IMU. If the IMU does need to be calibrated then always do the Advanced Calibration. Make sure to get the aircraft as cold as possible. This will help to increase start time!
6f. Calibrate the Compass. (I do this before every flight)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20