New P2V+ in 2017

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a near-new Phantom 2 Vision Plus v3, I'm loving it so far, using the Litchi app on a Nexus 7 which I downgraded to lollipop for the purpose.

This is not my first Phantom, I have a Phantom 1.1.1 and a Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal.

I've been reading through this forum and browsing Youtube to get a sense of must-do mods for the P2V+.

I have a question regarding the Arctic Silver mod..

Now that people have been doing this mod for some time, how has it worked out over the longer term? Has anyone done the mod but still had a Wifi module go bad?

Thanks!

Hello,
The artic silver mod did work on earlier models, v1, and v2, but when version 3 came out, they fixed the problem! They added some thermal paste ( artic silver paste ) to 2 needed spots. One on the top board, and another on the bottom board, as well as added thermal pads to some troubled spots as well. If you have a v3, no need to concern yourself with the mod! Just add an ittelite antenna, and have fun!

The phantom 2 mainboards ( all the same by the way, ) originally were designed to have a thermal sensor ( to watch internal heat signature ) and if it exceeded a certain temp, would kick on an internal FAN. but DJI decided it was not needed on the vision or P2 units, so they aborted adding them. But when the plus was introduced, the fan WAS needed, but again NOT? Not sure why.
So
In conclusion,
My thoughts on the best mod for your craft, is as follows.
ADD A FAN!

I've done research on this, and actually created a prototype, for a highly modded p2v, I have. This mod is quite simple, as the plug is already there, to use!

Here is a short video of my modded p2v, with internal blower fan.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I tried several different fans, but the blower model, seems to focus the air directly onto the wifi module, where it is needed the most!

Here are the parts you'll need:
1) crimping tool ( I use ) Engineer PA-09 approx $18 US
2) JST GH pins ( for use n existing connector )
Part # 455-1607-1-Nd ( this is DIGI-key part numbers )
You will need 2 ( 1 for pos, 1 for neg ) but get more, as they are very fragile, and can break easily. They are about $0.35 each US.
3) the blower fan ( this was the best I could find in this size ) a bit pricey, but worth the piece of mind!
Part # 259-1444-Nd
Approx $13 US.

Ok,
Now the plug,
You'll see the FAN port is being used for the wifi module, it is a 3 pin port, but only center port is used ( as a ground ).
Here is a pic.
IMG_0896.JPG

This will give you power to the fan when you start up the bird. It will run as long as the bird is on.

Now fan placement.
There is a great spot here.
IMG_0899.JPG

As you can see, the fan will pull fresh air in through this vent, and focus the air straight up, through this cutout
IMG_0900.JPG

And onto the belly of the wifi module! Again, LIKE IT WAS MEANT TO BE? Lol.

You'll need to silicone the bottom fan frame to phantom shell in the spot stated above. It is not a large flow of air, as these tiny fans don't push too much, but definitely makes a difference, especially when doing computer stuff, with bird on, but blades not ( props are what supplies cooling air around wifi and other internals ) so no props, no airflow! Dangerous combo. I also always use a fan, ( desk fan ) aimed at my bird when doing IMU calibrations, and things like that, where props are not present!

I hope this helps, and congrats on your p2v+ I have 3 and love them.

J Dot
:cool:

Thanks for that! A fan is a great idea.. I'll do it!

When I opened the P2V+ I did notice the ventilated wifi module so I decided not to mess with it, another thread that gave me an attack of hypochondria was the one about the motor wires but I see on mine they are firmly held in place and separated by a generous blob of glue so I suspect that won't be a problem either.

I'll look into the itelite antenna next :)

I fly my P2 with a normal 600mW 5.8Ghz VTX with a good CP antenna and diversity on the RX and have had it out to about 2.5 km (usually half that before I lose video) but it's always very noisy and I'm impressed with the noise-free video feed on the P2V+.

The ittelite is nice, because it does both 2.4 and 5.8ghz feeds at the same time, without modding the bird! My buddy Dirk, has hit 4 miles with his ( if I'm not mistaken. ) or very close to it.

Also another popular and growing mod, is the Plast-aid mod. Plastaid is a liquid PVC repair kit, it hardens stronger than pvc, and has the ability to be molded into parts, or ect., most are using it under each motor ( thin layer as not to interfere with motor installed. ) this helps again the shell cracking problem, from the stress the motors put on the shell. Check it out, I'm sure there are some threads on it, here!

Good luck!
J Dot
:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31