New P2 Vison Owner - Phantom PT2 Vision Assistant Alt and Limits Reporting

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Pilots!
Well, thanks to the encouragement and very good advice of many of you out there, I was able to take my used "Open Box" Phantom 2 Vision, connect/update all aspects, and viola; first flight went off without any issues!

I am about 6 flights in now, had one FPV Drop but make it back w/Telemetry, and could not recover the FPV until I landed, power cycled the Wifi Extender, and rebound. Then OK after that.

So I have two questions for you seasoned pros out there.

1. Can you recover FPV after you have exceeded the range and received the notification that your Wifi Connection has dropped without landing?

2. In the console of my PT2 DJI Phantom 2 Desktop Software is says my height is 1640ft and and Max distance limits are 4921ft. Is this just an erroneous limits indication, or has the firmware on my Phantom just somehow not capping my limitations? I of course haven't tried to push either for obvious reasons (both legal and common sense).

It shows that my firmware version is 3.14 for my Main Controller, GPS 6.0.1.3, P330CB is 1.0.2.10, Receiver-5.8G 1.0.1.3 and Battery 2.0.0.0.

When I attached and updated it I said yes and had to reboot several times for many updates that came down over the program.

Any advice/feedback on this?

Best Regards,

AJ

Next time, start your thread in the P2V forum and you'll get more responses. ;)

1) It depends. Sometimes the video will lock up due to a weak signal. You'll be looking at a freeze frame and your telemetry may still be working but your video is frozen. And then when you get a better signal, the video will sometimes redraw and you'll be back to normal. But other times it will not. I consider the latter a "video crash." Your FPV won't come back even when you're five feet from the aircraft although the telemetry will work fine. To fix this, you'll have to get a good signal and then exit the app and reload it. Your video should come back.

2) You can change those max limits in your Phantom 2 Vision Assistant software on your desktop.

Re the firmware versions, I'll have to get back to you later. I'd have to plug in my P2V to check.

Welcome to the site!

All the firmwares are correct as of now, however you dont state the camera firmware, open the DJi app when connected its under the help menu or about menu (cant remember which one as i havent used it for a year) the last firmware for the camera is 1.19 i think.

All the firmwares are correct as of now, however you dont state the camera firmware, open the DJi app when connected its under the help menu or about menu (cant remember which one as i havent used it for a year) the last firmware for the camera is 1.19 i think.

First I'd like to once again thank all that have responded to me as a new-bee and given me advice and words of encouragement; goes a long way, and gave me the "cahoonas" to go out there and just DO IT.

Thank you for getting back, and sorry for the delayed response; I've been injured, and laid up a bit.

I will indeed check the camera firmware as soon as I am done with this post. The Phantom Assistant doesn't show any updates available, so is it safe for me to assume that the camera isn't monitored by the Assistant software?

I wanted to share some of my glories and failures thus far with my used Phantom 2 vision. :)

1st flight, (not realizing so) I did my compass calibration, but through the FPV application, which I don't think works. After more reviews and videos, I am now doing the "Compass Dance" correctly I think, but when I do the vertical spin, the yellow lights turn green. After that, even when I tip it to vertical for it's spin, the lights remain green, so I MUST be doing something wrong. I will go back to the documentation and see what I missed.

So, 1st flight, did the checklist, had MUCHO space and no electrical or natural obstructions; 3 ball fields all hooked together. Took off, went about 30 feet forward at approximately 25ft, then checked all flight commands; all good. Hovering was good with very little drift (inches per minute drift) and thought that might be due to the fact I only had 7 Satellites. Did a slow circle with slight pitch trying to keep us in frame; definitely easier said than done, but after a couple circles, was satisfied that I'm not going to totally lose it with this baby.

After that the gloves came off. Started the recorder, and did some "running of the bases" on the field, then did a couple box runs of the soccer field as fast as it would go (Phantom Mode Still) and the thing still moves pretty good, but noted right away that there is Alt. loss when you do big pitch movements in ANY direction for a good length of time; makes sense of course. Part of the lift is now being used for direction....duh.

Gave it to my daughter (12 years old, but she's been flying copters with me since she was 5 and before gyro stabilization was really good and affordable). Don't get me wrong, neither of us are pros, but she's 12 man; she does great for her age! So she does the same thing I did, the shoots the thing up to about 150 feet, and gives Daddy that smile (wow, check this out Dad)! So she tools around for a bit, and Daddy gets jealous (give me back the controller) LOL

We do a 'Grab catch, and it's good, but you really have to keep that throttle stick firmly at the 6 O'clock position, no deviation or it will NOT shut it down.

Next flight, no BSing, went right up to about 360ft, did a yaw to check things out, then remembered I hadn't started recording. Start getting involved in the scenery whilst keeping an eye on the drone, but something happened, and I visually lost It.............. holy crap!!! So I am looking at the FPV, and yawing around to spot the ball fields I'm in. Problem is, there are more ball fields on the other side of the trees, and I think that's me. Dummy didn't look at his range or telemetry, and just started off towards the fields. Lost visual, and now its a WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL of HOLY CRAP.

Then I remember the Telemetry, and maximize that, and while I'm trying to move towards me, I don't see fluid progress; just "jumping towards me, then seemingly stopping. Well, I yaw it a couple times to make sure I've got link, and sure enough, it does, so I just keep on pushing the stick towards me, releasing in, and doing it again, repeat, and then I heard it before I saw it.

No problems bringing it in, and the terrain was good so landed it smooth as you please on the grass. Could NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME re-establish FPV (wireless) on the way back to land, and I've done some research on this, and from what I have gleaned is if it doesn't come back on it's own, you have to do a full Wifi Relink.

The video gave me some great clues. Firstly, I lost it because I wasn't paying attention to the wind at that altitude. The video shows while it's trying to stay stationary between commands when I was flying via telemetry that it was pitched at about 3 degrees or more; just guessing, but you could tell easily by the camera view.

SO, all you pros from dover out there that have mastered the P2V, any idea why I had the telemetry seemingly intermittent response, or is it lag in the signal update? I was PRETTY FAR AWAY; I did a Google Earth measurement for approximation and it said it was approximately 1650ft or so from RTH. Could that also be part of the issue?

Another question; should you as a pilot try to focus more on flying via FPV, or do visual until you are interested in the photography? I am so used to NOT having FPV that I find I virtually ignore it (until I periodically look down at it). I have seen a different FPV app that supposedly works with the P2V (Ultimate Flight) and it talks to you, which, if not adjusted to the appropriate intervals in the program would drive anyone batty; does anyone have any input on that product?

Anyways, thank you all again for your "push" off the diving board, and the benefit of your experience/tips/tricks!

Best Regards,

AJ

Yes - sometimes when it's in the distance, it's a dot. And then you glance at your FPV or telemetry and glance back and you've lost it. So you want to bring it closer. But you aren't sure where it's pointing.

Look at the radar. It will show you how your craft is pointing relative to you. So turn it so that it's pointing to you. If it's pointing to the right of center, move the left hand stick on the right. If it's pointing to the left of center, move the left hand stick to the left. Make it point to the center. Then drive it forward until you can see it again.

If you don't have an FPV screen for whatever reason but you can see the dot in the sky but don't know where it's pointing, same idea. Move the craft forward to see where it's pointing. If it's pointing right, rotate right, same idea as above. Etc.

If you can't see it at all and have no FPV or telemetry, RTH.

There's also something called IOC, but you can learn about that later.

Your lag is probably because you were at the limits of range. The stock P2V is only 300 meters FPV at best. 1650 ft is over 500 meters, so yeah, the FPV will break up. Sometimes the FPV will crash (freeze) but you'll still have telemetry. Sometimes FPV will come back, sometimes it just stays frozen.

FAA says you must keep the aircraft in sight at all times. Whether you want to fly with FPV or not is up to you, but you are supposed to be keeping an eye on it with line of sight. The idea is, you must be constantly aware of the surroundings around the aircraft, not just what's in front of you.

As far as other apps, Litchi is the most popular. Some do like Ultimate Flight though. You'd have to research. You can use the search function and learn a lot. If you get Litchi, you'd have to get the dedicated one called Litchi for P2.

Good luck and enjoy flying with your daughter!

Reactions: AJLebeau
Yes - sometimes when it's in the distance, it's a dot. And then you glance at your FPV or telemetry and glance back and you've lost it. So you want to bring it closer. But you aren't sure where it's pointing.

Look at the radar. It will show you how your craft is pointing relative to you. So turn it so that it's pointing to you. If it's pointing to the right of center, move the left hand stick on the right. If it's pointing to the left of center, move the left hand stick to the left. Make it point to the center. Then drive it forward until you can see it again.

If you don't have an FPV screen for whatever reason but you can see the dot in the sky but don't know where it's pointing, same idea. Move the craft forward to see where it's pointing. If it's pointing right, rotate right, same idea as above. Etc.

If you can't see it at all and have no FPV or telemetry, RTH.

There's also something called IOC, but you can learn about that later.

Your lag is probably because you were at the limits of range. The stock P2V is only 300 meters FPV at best. 1650 ft is over 500 meters, so yeah, the FPV will break up. Sometimes the FPV will crash (freeze) but you'll still have telemetry. Sometimes FPV will come back, sometimes it just stays frozen.

FAA says you must keep the aircraft in sight at all times. Whether you want to fly with FPV or not is up to you, but you are supposed to be keeping an eye on it with line of sight. The idea is, you must be constantly aware of the surroundings around the aircraft, not just what's in front of you.

As far as other apps, Litchi is the most popular. Some do like Ultimate Flight though. You'd have to research. You can use the search function and learn a lot. If you get Litchi, you'd have to get the dedicated one called Litchi for P2.

Good luck and enjoy flying with your daughter!

Thanks much for the advice about the Telemetry, and I do understand about the pointer and the reference to your location as you look at the screen. I just didn't know how most folks fly; by watching the FPV, or using it as a "Camera" and Photography/Video tool once at altitude or something like that. My reasoning for asking was, if I had been flying via FPV, I would have realized that I was in the "other baseball park" as I would have remembered going that way, if you get my drift. I definitely understand the Regs, and FCC Rules, NP there. Just was wondering how most folks deal with the FPV and Visual situation, not having had the option before!

Thanks again, and I think you're absolutely right about losing the FVP, and the distance might have also been responsible for my Telemetry Lag too.

Just got to keep a SHARP eye on that thing!!

Thank you again for your advice and words of wisdom!

My advice is to buy the RE700, it's the range extender from the phantom 2 Vision plus and use that, your range of FPV will increase at least 3 times. Then when your ready get the Itelite system and start hitting 5000ft plus.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

(more like a 50% increase, but yeah...)

Not true at all, i went from 800-900 ft with the RE500 to over 2500ft with the RE700 and i have videos to prove that on my youtube channel.

Inverse square law applies. In order to double your distance, you need to quadruple your signal strength.

The specs are on dji.com. The vision is <= 17 dBm. The Vision Plus is 20 dBm.

www.dji.com

What is dBm in mw?

See the chart:

dBm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hence, we learn that the RE700 is double the mw of the RE500 which would give 50% more range. And that is how dji advertised the Vision Plus and it makes sense with the specs.

Maybe you modded your RE700?

Anyway, I agree, the RE700 is basically a must-buy item in my opinion. It's the easiest way to get more range out of the Vision.

Thanks to all for the comments on extending my FPV with the RE700; checked it out, and looks like a good investment. I've tried with my RE500 (hope I am getting these model Numbers correct) but I've noticed that unless I am STRAIGHT up in the air, I lose FVP after about 600 feet or so. Is that a expected range? Straight up I've had it at approcimately 730ft but didn't stay there long for obvious reasons..... So why when I fly facing my P2V and I go approximately 500+ ft I start to get FPV failure? Tried in several different locales, same results it seems.

Does anyone have any input on the 7db Gain Antenna Mod (I was thinking of just trying ONE antenna, and leaving the other attached to the internal on the RE500). I'm no radio wiz, but I DO know that amplifiers for antenna's can be overloaded, and was wondering if anyone out there that has tried it can give me some input. I'm very curious, and love this sort of stuff.

Another cool thing I read about was doing the advanced IMU Cal with a Bullseye Level with the casing off and leveling the actual Flight Controller. I had experienced some yaw issues after extended (15 minutes of flight) and even though a regular IMU advanced calibration has SEEMED to fix it, has anyone else done this, and if so, what's your input?

Thanks to ALL of you for helping out this newbie!!!

Best Regards and "Right Side UP"!

AJ

I was disappointed with my range when I first got my P2V too. DJI claims we should get 300 meters with a stock P2V. I wasn't getting that, but I wasn't flying in a good environment either. So I blamed the environment.

Re the range extender mod, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to mod that RE 500 even if you plan to get an RE 700, because that way if you screw up the mod, no biggie. You'll do it right when you mod the RE 700 because you've had practice.

Not sure what mod you mean when you say "the 7db antenna mod."

There are not many that get in there and then mod only one antenna and leave the other intact. I'm not sure why you'd do that. If you choose to go that route, it seems to me you'd want to use a patch/panel antenna to match the stock antenna you're leaving in place. But then, the stock antenna would not be favored although it would be tested constantly during switching. So again, it seems leaving the stock antenna in place will hurt you, not help you.

Re the IMU, some have suggested it's a good idea to do an advanced IMU calibration as soon as you get your aircraft new in box because rough shipping can potentially cause a problem just like a crash could cause a problem.

Hope this helps.

I was disappointed with my range when I first got my P2V too. DJI claims we should get 300 meters with a stock P2V. I wasn't getting that, but I wasn't flying in a good environment either. So I blamed the environment.

Re the range extender mod, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to mod that RE 500 even if you plan to get an RE 700, because that way if you screw up the mod, no biggie. You'll do it right when you mod the RE 700 because you've had practice.

Not sure what mod you mean when you say "the 7db antenna mod."

There are not many that get in there and then mod only one antenna and leave the other intact. I'm not sure why you'd do that. If you choose to go that route, it seems to me you'd want to use a patch/panel antenna to match the stock antenna you're leaving in place. But then, the stock antenna would not be favored although it would be tested constantly during switching. So again, it seems leaving the stock antenna in place will hurt you, not help you.

Re the IMU, some have suggested it's a good idea to do an advanced IMU calibration as soon as you get your aircraft new in box because rough shipping can potentially cause a problem just like a crash could cause a problem.

Hope this helps.
The Antenna Mod I was referring to basically disconnects just ONE of the stock antennas (you can opt for both if you like) and by replacing it with a 6, 7, or 9db antenna. I have read most people get at least a 50% gain, but the good thing is you can "Roll back" by simply disconnecting the modified antenna and reattaching the stock one. It's outlined in this video here at:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As you said, if I "Screw it up" or it doesn't work well, I can always roll it back and order the RE 700.

Also, already did the "Advanced IMU Calibration" and that as I said during a short test flight seems to work OK now, but an extended flight is where I really experienced issues.

Thank you very much for your input!

AJ

Yes - good ole Ben7seven7 did a lot of mods with the P2V on youtube and explained them very well. I followed a lot of his vids for my mods and so did a lot of other people.

Ben did that video back in Jan 2014 when the P2V was relatively new. Nothing wrong with the mod, but I'd use a different antenna. I think you'll find an omni is not the best antenna for FPV - especially on the pilot side.

Good luck!

The Antenna Mod I was referring to basically disconnects just ONE of the stock antennas (you can opt for both if you like) and by replacing it with a 6, 7, or 9db antenna. I have read most people get at least a 50% gain, but the good thing is you can "Roll back" by simply disconnecting the modified antenna and reattaching the stock one. It's outlined in this video here at:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As you said, if I "Screw it up" or it doesn't work well, I can always roll it back and order the RE 700.

Also, already did the "Advanced IMU Calibration" and that as I said during a short test flight seems to work OK now, but an extended flight is where I really experienced issues.

Thank you very much for your input!

AJ
Yo Marknmd, thank you VERY MUCH for that feedback. I DID see that a lot of folks had the best results with the "Cloverleaf" (not sure of the tech term) antenna, which is really broad spectrum if I understand the technology right. Well, I already ordered the kit, so might as well give it a whirl. Will definitely report back after the next 4 days (rain and wind thru Monday at least, so gives me time to do the Mod!). Thanks again for the info!!!

AJ

If you really want an easy (ish) mod then get the Itelite system, don't bother modding the RE500 with it as the range only gets to 1500ft (ish) however with the RE700 you can hit 5000ft no issues. That said practice with the drilling on the 500 as it can be hard to place the connecting wires.

If you really want an easy (ish) mod then get the Itelite system, don't bother modding the RE500 with it as the range only gets to 1500ft (ish) however with the RE700 you can hit 5000ft no issues. That said practice with the drilling on the 500 as it can be hard to place the connecting wires.

Thank you very much for the good advice Sir!!

One good reason for doing the RE 500 mod is when you mess it up, it won't matter because you were going to get the 700 anyway. And then when you do the mod on the 700 you'll do it perfectly. ;)

Thank you very much for the good advice Sir!!
LOL, it's terribly funny but Marknmd, you read my mind! :) I figured, what the heck, I've got the kits (four, two with the 6dB antennas, and two with the 9dB antennas). Don't ask me what I was thinking except that they were relatively inexpensive and I might try the dual mod if one works well alone. Also, I have other wireless appliances that might be able to use the antennas, and with the P2V if you want you can perform a receiver antenna mod on the camera, but I haven't quite figured out how I would balance it well; I've seen the mods that Ben7seven7 did, and all of them seem pretty invasive to say the least. An IT Engineer with a Digital Electronics background to boot I am not intimidated by the mods so much as I would like to achieve the extended FPV range without such heavy intrusions to the Phantom platform itself. Do you know of a good price/provider for the RE700?

Much Thanks Marknmd!!

AJ Lebeau

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers