New P2 V+, battery error and can't run assistant.

Reaction score
So, I received my P2 V+ today. Charged it all and read the manual. I tried to spin it up, but immediately received an "Invalid battery" warning on the iPhone app. A quick search revealed the source, I have theories on the actual cause. That aside, I cleaned the contact, and then downloaded the assistant software for Mac (3) and tried to run it. First, it hangs on the loading screen until I hit "skip", but I'm not clear what I'm skipping. I expect it's a critical process being skipped, as after doing so, it will not connect to the controller or the aircraft. Best I got was a spinning beach ball, a hung process which required an OS reboot to clear. That was on 10.9.3, so I tried on 10.8.5, same deal. I then decided to try on Win 7/64, and amazingly have virtually the same problem. The application hangs on the boot screen until I hit "skip", and no matter what I do I can't get the assistant to communicate with the controller or aircraft. I have confirmed the devices are mounted by all 3 OSs, but the app fails. As they look identical on all platforms, I'm guessing they're Java, which is obviously a big mistake. That aside, I'm not curious whether I have faulty hardware or if the assistant is simply broken. I spen an hour trying to contact north american support, no toll free so on my dime, and each time after about 5 minutes on hold I would be "disconnected" (hung up on). Even if the battery issue is temporarily solved by cleaning the contacts, I don't want to put this thing in the air without the firmware upgrade to correct the reaction of the craft to the "invalid battery" error if it returns. At least right now it's undamaged and unflown so I can feasibly return it for a refund (less 2x shipping and my time of course). If someone could confirm the following for me I would be incredibly appreciative:

1 - Is having to hit "skip" on the launch screen of the assistant normal?

2 - If above is "yes", please provide a known-working combination of OS, assistant version, and order of operation required to mount the devices (ie. power on controller, connect USB to controller then to computer, launch assistant).

3 - What is the best way to contact dii support and receive a quick response? I have limited time to initiate a return if I must go that route.

Thanks!

- JakeD

The skip button is normal... I don't think it's actually skipping anything... probly a bad Chinese translation for "next"

Have you downloaded and installed the proper drivers to allow the app to communicate with the Phantom?

Holy cow, thanks DBS! OK, so one anomaly scratched.

Drivers, yes first thing I did on Win7 was install the drivers. During install I do get a popup saying "please power on MC and connect it to PC via USB!". No idea what it means, I tried running the installer with the controller connected and the aircraft connected, but that didn't seem to change anything. Anyway, no "bangs" in Device Manager when either device is mounted, so I assume windows is happy in that regard. When I was looking for the cause of the OS X hang, it appeared that the application hung trying to load a framework rather than a kext (though it is very likely still a driver issue.

JakeD

I remember seeing the instructions to be prepared to connect the MC (multi copter) to the PC so I was ready for that when the pop up showed... maybe delete (proper uninstall) everything and start over in the proper sequence and heed that pop up as proper sequence... I seen them talking about that being an important step over on RC groups...

And then the stupid questions...

You're using the USB port under the white rubber flap on the Phantom shell right? (Not the one on the camera)
You've tried a trusted USB cable? (The one that came with my Phantom was $hit... immediately unplugged it and threw it away)

Also only connect one thing at a time, either the phantom or the controller. When it mentions "please power on the mc and connect", it is talking about the phantom.

Windows 7, assuming you have installed the driver, (you dont have to actually have it connected when you install the driver, just click next/continue etc). Use the usb under the little flap for connecting phantom, not the one on camera.

Run RC Assistant, with controller (handset) connected and turned on, calibrate sticks etc in there. Shut down program, disconnect.
Run Phantom Vision Assistant with phantom attached and turned on (turn on controller first). Calibrate sticks etc again in there, do an imu calibration if it asks for it.
Whenever you turn on the phantom always turn on the controller first. Even when connected to the computer messing with software etc.

Agreed that the usb cable that comes with them is pretty poor, mine would stick trying to insert it. I just used another I had lying around, fitted much better.

Yup, right USB port. I did as you suggested DBS, uninstalled the assistant and reinstalled with the MC connected, I think this was the trick. Several reboots of both sides later, all updates have been installed. MrC - part of what you said was also part of my problem, order of operation re. clean booting MC, only then connecting USB, only then launch assistant. Now I'll see if I can get it up and running without throwing the "invalid battery" error.

Thanks ton!

Yea, as far as trying to contact DJI CA. I've been unsuccessful for the last three days now.
I get to as low as #3 waiting to speak to a representative, and then get disconnected, or receive an automated message about high call volume and try calling back at another time. The Phantom is a sweet quad, when everything is functioning well, but DJI as a company, as well as their support staff, well! that's another thing altogether.

Feel sorry for anyone that bought a DJI product and it wasn't 100% functional. I had this happen and It's been over a month trying to get it resolved and they had the gonads to say:

Dear XXXXXXX,
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry but I am afraid we can't exchange this unit for you. Please kindly refer to our after-sale service policy.http://www.dji.com/service Your order have passed the 7 day return window. Could you please kindly call our LA support for repair service? Your understanding is highly appreciated.

So basically thank you, here's some more lube because we are going to try and get you to pay for your repairs.... EVEN THOUGH IT WAS LIKE THIS OUT OF THE BOX! It's like they aren't listening. Yes after a month I'm more than a little ticked. Paypal dispute will hopefully fix this.

I don't want to turn this into a rant thread but yes, DJI are seriously lacking support staff, which is a shame. It's a requirement for any business to succeed nowadays, it builds a loyal customer base that won't jump ship to the next company that comes along. Look at Makerbot; they have a huge problem with reverse-engineered knockoffs. Problem is, with crappy customer service, the customer doesn't gain anything by paying a premium for "the real thing".

You two posting above re. not being able to contact the support staff should hit DJI on their social media and reference this forum to show that you're not the only one having a problem with their (lack of) customer support. In fact, I'd suggest anyone who does post to their social media accounts to post a link here too, then we can add our support. If you cost them even one sale, it's far more costly than what they would pay to replace a single gimble for example. I guess from their perspective the units can be customer-damaged very easily, but still. Look at REI or LL Bean for a customer support model and where it got them. Customer service policies that favour the customer rather than the business inevitably pay back in spades in the end. If DJI were smart, they would hire someone to respond for them on the forum, officially or not.

All that said, do any of the other companies offering similar products have better customer support systems?

- JakeD

And then the stupid questions... You're using the USB port under the white rubber flap on the Phantom shell right? (Not the one on the camera) You've tried a trusted USB cable? (The one that came with my Phantom was $hit... immediately unplugged it and threw it away)[/QUOTE said:
hahaha how stupid of me i have been trying for 1 hr wondering why i do not have the pc assistant working anymore I have been plugging it into the camera port instead of the phantom usb port!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.