New p2 transmitter compatible with lightbridge?

Reaction score
It looks like the revised phantom 2 with new motors and transmitter is shipping from DJI. Does anybody know if the training port on the new transmitter is compatible with lightbridge? It would be amazing if i didn't have to buy a $600 futaba 14 just for the training port.

MackBoston said:
It looks like the revised phantom 2 with new motors and transmitter is shipping from DJI. Does anybody know if the training port on the new transmitter is compatible with lightbridge? It would be amazing if i didn't have to buy a $600 futaba 14 just for the training port.

it says right on their site it is. But They have said many things before that didnt work together that should...

MackBoston said:

it says right on their site it is.

Haze said:
MackBoston said:

it says right on their site it is.

I posted this before the DJI site was updated. It looks like they are at least planning on making it work. Thanks

The new transmitter has a trainer port which is great since it allowed me to sell my Futaba 14SG and get enough to buy a whole new Phantom 2 (almost)! I was only using the Futaba for use with the LightBridge. When V2 came out, I didn't need the big expensive Tx since this one promised to solve the "no trainer port" issue. The thing is, with the Futaba, I ALWAYS made sure to turn off the RF so as not to interfere with the LightBridge signal (also at 2.4Gz). I thought that maybe, with the new DJI Tx, inserting a cable into the trainer port on the new DJI Tx would possibly disable RF. Turns out that is not the case. It still works as a normal transmitter even with trainer cable plugged in and then into LB.

This may be a problem since there can be interference with the LightBridge which also uses 2.4GHz. What is the answer to this? Will DJI issue an update to turn off RF when the trainer port is plugged in? I am beginning to feel sorry I sold my Futaba since I am nervous flying under these circumstances. I have not yet had an issue but I am very concerned about this.

I would love to hear a response from DJI regarding this. One other thing, I don't consider switching to a 5.8GHz Tx just to eliminate interference a viable option.

Thank you.

spudraleigh said:
The new transmitter has a trainer port which is great since it allowed me to sell my Futaba 14SG and get enough to buy a whole new Phantom 2 (almost)! I was only using the Futaba for use with the LightBridge. When V2 came out, I didn't need the big expensive Tx since this one promised to solve the "no trainer port" issue. The thing is, with the Futaba, I ALWAYS made sure to turn off the RF so as not to interfere with the LightBridge signal (also at 2.4Gz). I thought that maybe, with the new DJI Tx, inserting a cable into the trainer port on the new DJI Tx would possibly disable RF. Turns out that is not the case. It still works as a normal transmitter even with trainer cable plugged in and then into LB.

This may be a problem since there can be interference with the LightBridge which also uses 2.4GHz. What is the answer to this? Will DJI issue an update to turn off RF when the trainer port is plugged in? I am beginning to feel sorry I sold my Futaba since I am nervous flying under these circumstances. I have not yet had an issue but I am very concerned about this.

I would love to hear a response from DJI regarding this. One other thing, I don't consider switching to a 5.8GHz Tx just to eliminate interference a viable option.

Thank you.

Yikes, I also assumed connecting the trainer port would disable the RF. I posted this to RC Groups' LB thread with link to OP.

It does work but the cable needs to be reversed. The red end into the LB ground unit and the black end into the Tx. I have my P2V+ and P2Z3 with Lightbridge set up to work off the same Tx. It is nice if I want my 14SG home.

Tahoe Ed said:
It does work but the cable needs to be reversed. The red end into the LB ground unit and the black end into the Tx. I have my P2V+ and P2Z3 with Lightbridge set up to work off the same Tx. It is nice if I want my 14SG home.

Just to clarify, Ed, Are you saying that plugging the red end into the LB ground turns off RF?

spudraleigh said:
Tahoe Ed said:

Just to clarify, Ed, Are you saying that plugging the red end into the LB ground turns off RF?

Hate to quote myself, but just realized that I had been trying with red into LB ground unit and it still transmits 2.4GHz. Perhaps you meant to say black into LB ground?? :?:

MackBoston said:

It is. You just need to reverse the cable, red to the Ground Unit and black to the Tx.

Tahoe Ed said:
MackBoston said:

It is. You just need to reverse the cable, red to the Ground Unit and black to the Tx.

Hi Ed and everyone else, I am waiting with "baited breath" (Just ate an anchovy pizza :cool: ) for any answer to my question regarding interference between the V2 transmitter and the LB ground system since they both broadcast at the same frequency (2.4GHz) and there appears to be no way to turn off the RF on the new RC? I know that the new transmitter "works" with the LB, but I am very concerned about this and hesitate to use the new DJI transmitter. I mean, they likely added the trainer port to make it usable with LB but I can't. for the life of me, understand why they would not turn off RF from the Tx while the trainer port is in use :?

Please, can anyone provide some insight into this potential show stopper? Do I need to switch back to Futaba or other Tx that allows turning off RF explicitly?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

I have asked engineering to confirm that when the trainer port is connected that the RF is turned off. My Tx works but I am not going to tell you to go out and fly yours until I know for sure. Thank you for the question.

Spud, that is correct. I have confirmed with DJI engineering that when the cord is plugged in RF is turned off.

Tahoe Ed said:
Spud, that is correct. I have confirmed with DJI engineering that when the cord is plugged in RF is turned off.

Hi Ed, DJI told me the same thing at the end of this thread http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1723 However, I have tested this and found it not to be the case. I have 2 P2's. One with LB and no other receiver on the bird and the other wihout LB and with the original receiver. I find that when both birds are turned on and when using the LB and the new Tx with trainer port, BOTH birds react to the transmitter simultaneously therefore RF IS NOT off. Otherwise, the bird without LB would not react at all.

Now, since the RF IS NOT turned off, is it possible that reversal of the cable will make a difference in RF behavior of the Tx?

SOLVED: Re: New p2 transmitter compatible with lightbridge?

After several more tests, it turns out that with the cable red end plugged into the LB ground, the Tx no long binds with the bird indicating that the RF is in fact turned off (or at least not active). I stand corrected, and can now confidently state that I am now comfortable, as others should be, that there is no interference of the new Phantom Tx with the Lightbridge.

Sorry for the FUD but I just want to make sure! Appreciate the time of Tahoe Ed and DJP-Jolie on this non-issue!

Hello, I'm relatively new at this but I can't seem to get the new p2 transmitter to work with the Lightbridge. I purchased the 5.8 version so interference would not be an issue. Calibrated in RC 1.1 and confirmed that I have the latest firmware. Hooked up the ground unit through LB assistant and can see channel mapping. Used default map button. Removed 5.8 receiver from Phantom, hooked air unit sbus cable to x2 on naza. (x3 vacant) Under phantom assistant 3.6 channel mapping does not respond and I get configuration error message. What have I done wrong? Anyone??

Yes, I used the training cable. Red to ground unit, black to controller. Lightbridge quick guide say it should be hooked up the opposite way?? Called Dronefly one tech told me I should have bought the 2.4 controller. The other tech said either one will work if using the trainer cable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj