New P2, 3rd flight, TOTAL LOSS!!!

****, so sorry to hear this.

I have the Phantom 1 and the 3rd time I ever flew, it was over Niagara Falls with my older GoPro2 on it. Thankfully it survived the experiment, but over the last 2 months I've come to trust it less and less and sort of expect that something is going to happen to it eventually. Sad reality of these awesome toys, so enjoy them as much as you can while they're still up in the air and be mentally prepared that every flight might be its last one.

[quote="PhantomPerk"]That is sad. I feel for you. I am going out for my fourth flight today with my FC40 and I would be crushed if it went down.

Has anyone tried cutting down one of those pool floaty noodle things and then maybe attaching them between the legs with zip ties that can be removed when you are not flying over water and easily added back on if you are going to be going over water?[/quote]

I had thought about using those too. I most certainly will try that now after hearing of all the guys losing their Phantom 2 s. Now I'm spooked about flying over our rugged terrain here in Montana by Glacier Park. I was over this place on the Clark Fork River by St Regis today only a couple of hours ago. A dip in the river would be a sure loss.

2zi7.jpg

I believe the problem is the intelligent battery momentarily losing contact with the phantom. A very experienced pilot told me there is a problem with the spring loaded contacts on the p2 phantoms

I just don't know about the new P2.I am reading a lot of sad stores about problems in the P2 and the Vision. DJI might need to get back into the lab and see what's really going on hear. To much money is going down the drain. This is really said to hear of all the losses as of late.

MuseumMatt said:
I believe the problem is the intelligent battery momentarily losing contact with the phantom. A very experienced pilot told me there is a problem with the spring loaded contacts on the p2 phantoms
i think most of these problems have been fixed in firmware

shortyuk said:
MuseumMatt said:

Firmware / Software fixes will not fix a hardware problem. If in fact their is an issue with the contacts and you loose power for a split second you could really be screwed

FASTFJR said:
shortyuk said:
MuseumMatt said:

Firmware / Software fixes will not fix a hardware problem. If in fact their is an issue with the contacts and you loose power for a split second you could really be screwed

Yes, I had all of the very latest software and firmware updates. The more I think about it in hindsight the more convinced I am that it was a sudden battery failure. Sixty seconds before the crash I had more than 50% battery remaining (according to battery LED's) followed by a rapid decrease in power (but still directionally controllable) as it descended into the water. It was still developing power as it hit the water, just not enough power to stop it from descending.

the problem wasnt with the main terminals, is was with the sprung terminals not making contact, these are only used for battery monitoring, the old firmware put the p2 into a decent when battery reading was lost, however this was rectified with a firmware update. at no time would these terminals not making contact give your machine a complete and sudden loss of power

im pretty sure this was just a case of battery second warning coming in to be honest, like i say its not very accurate, and inconsistent. IMHO if you are flying any further than a couple of hundred meters away, you really need iosd, its the only way to keep your levels in check, even then its mot 100%

Really sorry to hear about your loss. It's a shame there isn't something like this we could fit to our P2s for flying over water. This is only good to 1Kg and I have no idea how much it weighs to start with.

http://www.water-buoy.com/index.php

It wouldn't stop it getting wet but at least you wouldn't have to don SCUBA gear to retrieve it.

goldfishrock said:
Really sorry to hear about your loss. It's a shame there isn't something like this we could fit to our P2s for flying over water. This is only good to 1Kg and I have no idea how much it weighs to start with.

http://www.water-buoy.com/index.php

It wouldn't stop it getting wet but at least you wouldn't have to don SCUBA gear to retrieve it.

That item (water-buoy) is no longer in production due to problems with them inflating properly. I'm currently working on a few ideas... stay tuned!

This might be pie-in-the-sky, but I've seen NeverWet tested on exposed circuits before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNJ4CEoOg4g
I'm sure they caution against it, but you're not supposed to put Q-tips in your ears either...

I suppose my main concern would be the windings on the motors...would the NeverWet affect the way the windings function?

_r3_ said:
This might be pie-in-the-sky, but I've seen NeverWet tested on exposed circuits before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNJ4CEoOg4g
I'm sure they caution against it, but you're not supposed to put Q-tips in your ears either...

I suppose my main concern would be the windings on the motors...would the NeverWet affect the way the windings function?

I wouldn't think so. Unless the primer (that's some nasty stuff) stripped the wires of their enamel coating, it should be OK. The problem is you need a generous coat of neverwet for it to anything, and it rubs off easily no matter what you do. The only really semi-permanent use i've found for it is on concrete, but for low-cost electronics that have to be exposed to the elements, I actually wouldn't mind giving it a shot (eg gimbal control boards).

My stomach turned reading this.

Sorry for your lost and I'm glad you've decided to buy another.

I have experienced this problem twice on my Phantom 2. It lands around the first low battery alarm(25%).stck has no effect
Luckily I was in a good place to land both time with no damage. This seems to me to be a firmware problem, not a mechanical one.
I have stated to keep it close to the the ground with 1 1/2 or 2 bars on the battery

Lagunaman said:
I have experienced this problem twice on my Phantom 2. It lands around the first low battery alarm(25%).stck has no effect
Luckily I was in a good place to land both time with no damage. This seems to me to be a firmware problem, not a mechanical one.
I have stated to keep it close to the the ground with 1 1/2 or 2 bars on the battery

Have you thought about simply lowering the threshold voltage for forced auto landing?

FlyingFanta said:
Lagunaman said:

Have you thought about simply lowering the threshold voltage for forced auto landing?

Second threshold for forced landing is at 15%

Sorry to hear .... remember my first flight with this expensive thing .... **** near crashed just from hand shaking so much .... had to land have a smoke, & calm down ... and then I relaxed and carried on ... is all you can do in this world when it gives you bad stick .... hope things work out ok ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic