New P1 owner 2 questions

Reaction score
I just picked up a P1 for $100 at a flea market (that should have been my first clue). I have done a lot of reading over the last week and have narrowed my issue down to a bad SR6 transmitter. I can not get it to bind no matter what I do. Steady red light inside I push the button it blinks throttle up turn it on and it continues to blink. 3 firmware updates and reloads of configuration files. I have to software set to PPM because I have a single antenna but I also tried DBUS with the same result. I put the radio in front of a frequency counter an got no change when I switched it on. I've been a ham radio operator for 20 plus years so I know my way around electronics. GPS displays and physically looks okay.

Assuming I need a new transmitter what are my options? I know SR6 or DJ6 and new receiver (duel antenna) but are there other DJI options? Can I go 5.8? Something out of a scrapped P2 vision for the rechargeable option and non interference issue with a go-pro? I keep seeing an NDJ6 on ebay is that the same as a DJ6 receiver wise? I have a Spektrum DX6i but I believe that unit is not bind and fly without more then a receiver change. I would need guidance on that and would rather stay OEM anyway.

One last question. In the NAZA M software when running the motor test as you press the individual motor buttons should the motors just "jog" or spin till you release the button? Mine just sort of bump a half turn or so.

I just picked up a P1 for $100 at a flea market (that should have been my first clue). I have done a lot of reading over the last week and have narrowed my issue down to a bad SR6 transmitter. I can not get it to bind no matter what I do. Steady red light inside I push the button it blinks throttle up turn it on and it continues to blink. 3 firmware updates and reloads of configuration files. I have to software set to PPM because I have a single antenna but I also tried DBUS with the same result. I put the radio in front of a frequency counter an got no change when I switched it on. I've been a ham radio operator for 20 plus years so I know my way around electronics. GPS displays and physically looks okay.

Assuming I need a new transmitter what are my options? I know SR6 or DJ6 and new receiver (duel antenna) but are there other DJI options? Can I go 5.8? Something out of a scrapped P2 vision for the rechargeable option and non interference issue with a go-pro? I keep seeing an NDJ6 on ebay is that the same as a DJ6 receiver wise? I have a Spektrum DX6i but I believe that unit is not bind and fly without more then a receiver change. I would need guidance on that and would rather stay OEM anyway.

One last question. In the NAZA M software when running the motor test as you press the individual motor buttons should the motors just "jog" or spin till you release the button? Mine just sort of bump a half turn or so.

Yo Tech, Welcome to the party. :D

The motors just jump a little with a test in the NAZA assistant. They won't run. You should only be able to see them spin in the expected direction. Sounds like what you've seen is correct.

I don't know where you are on this crazy planet so I will assume you hang out in the US.

DBUS is the way to go.
I'm not sure how controllers get mixed up, but if someone sold it to you for a hundred bucks, I'd say that individual wasn't smart enough to know which controller to use. No surprise there.

If you've actually got a P1 and not an FC40, then you've got to accept the 2.4 G control frequency. The theys say don't use the WIFI from the GoPro because it's the same freq. :eek:
There is the FPV option though.

Sounds like you know enough to find your way through the issue with little help. I don't know for sure, but believe you have the wrong controller for your bird.

You could post pics of the bottom of the bird and controller, and maybe get more, and better help.

The google link in my signature is great, follow the instructions preceding the link. :D

Enjoy the show

JKD when I switched on other controllers in front of my frequency counter I saw a change (there are already random 2.4 Ghz signals in the air) but it would seem a good unit will cause the counter to jump 50 mhz or better when you turn it on as it "switches channels" . My SJ6 did not do that. I was using an optoelectronics unit that read up to 3.0 Ghz .

I purchased a refurbished NDJ6 on Ebay and a new part 31 2.4 Ghz receiver to match and figured while I was in there I might as well change out the main board to make use of the new gimble control on the radio and installed the part 25 H3-2D board (not sure if that was a match or not).

So far its all assembled and bench tested without the lid on. I seem to have full control now. I just have to tie and tack and seal it back up for its (and mine) first flight test.

Sounds like you've taken care of all the possibilities.

Let me tell you, the Phantom is a joy to fly. It practically flies itself to be honest.
I'm used to flying quads that require total manual input and this thing...you just hang it in the air and you can literally put the transmitter down and do anything (until the batteries run out) and it'll stay put.

Let us know how she comes out.

Welcome to the P1 club !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl