New Owner

Reaction score
So I got my p2 as a Christmas gift. I will be doing the first flight soon once I have read all the manuals and watched a few videos before I dare try it for real. Just some questions.

Can I fly it from a large car park / parking lot that ahs metal railing near to where I would be launching? I heard its not good to take off from concrete is this true will it affect the magnetics or something?
For the first flight should I test the return home function or not?
Do I need to calibrate everytime I go flying with it?
I know the tx is on 5.8ghz so what sort of range are we looking at and does it penetrate objects at all?
The fpv is 2.4ghz hows the range on fpv with the booster?
I heard you can put it into some mode to increase the range from 300m to 500m is there a switch on the back of the tx?
How do you control the pan from the camera?

Thank you any other tips are very much appreciated.

Steel and concrete with re-barb can cause issues depending on proximity to the aircraft. Once I flew from the deck of an abandoned bridge modified to be a fishing pier. The aircraft flew fine, but I received the compass calibration warning at the beginning of each subsequent bridge launch and had to do the compass dance. You could probably alleviate this by bringing along a box or something to keep it higher off the deck.

I would test the RTH function. Better to test it close by under your control than depend on it to work when you really need it and it doesn't. Once you are sure it is working and coming in to auto-land I would probably abort and take over the controls.

Three kinds of calibration - controller, IMU, and compass. You'll want to do all of them when you receive the aircraft. Thereafter you should only need to perform the first two when updating firmware. The compass calibration is useful if you are launching many miles from your prior launch point where the earth's magnetic field is substantially different.

Range varies with each aircraft and you will have to learn how your particular aircraft fares. Penetration through objects will vary also, but it is not typically good. You want to keep a clear LOS between the controller, extender, and the bird for best range. Placing the controller in FCC mode ensures the longest range. You'll learn more about this when you READ THE MANUAL a few times BEFORE you attempt to fly.

You pan the camera by yawing the aircraft left & right. You tilt the camera vertically through the app or the controller thumbwheel.

Most of the answers are in the manual. Don't calibrate the compass near a lot of steel. Consider that you may be on steel reinforced concrete. The manual explains the two transmitter modes. When you turn it on, two beeps means it's in FCC mode. (US). Start slow. A football field would be a better place to start from. There is no panning of the camera. You have to learn to control yaw to get a pan shot.

king156 said:
So I got my p2 as a Christmas gift. I will be doing the first flight soon once I have read all the manuals and watched a few videos before I dare try it for real. Just some questions.

Can I fly it from a large car park / parking lot that ahs metal railing near to where I would be launching? I heard its not good to take off from concrete is this true will it affect the magnetics or something?
I know the tx is on 5.8ghz so what sort of range are we looking at and does it penetrate objects at all?
I heard you can put it into some mode to increase the range from 300m to 500m is there a switch on the back of the tx?

You're the Christmas Miracle guy who ordered a P2 and received the P2 Vision + in error, right?
So you've decided to keep it. Good luck.

king156 said:

Sounds like you are on information overload...
As previously stated refer to the manual and the sticky posts . You will do just fine...
if you have a Vision+ v3 . 9/10 it will fly fine right out of the box.. If it needs calibration, it will tell you on the vision app before you take off .
Don't wander around too much or you will get mixed information .

Keep the props up and the lens down !

Dirty Bird said:
The compass calibration is useful if you are launching many miles from your prior launch point where the earth's magnetic field is substantially different.
Also if you add any new hardware to the Phantom.

Word to the wize...start in a nice wide-open field. No trees. No wind. No distractions. Start slow and not too high. Work your way up to the crazy stuff.

Look I got mine on dec 1 it's v3.0
I was scared like you as anyone would be with 1400$ in the air and not being a expert

Advice from me

1. Get it all charged up all the way
2. Connect phantom to computer update everything all the battery everything
Now turn off let it cool off for about 30min "also make sure anytime you turn on phantom take gimbal clamp off always"
3. On the phantom app on computer do a advance calibration make sure you do this first thing when you turn on phantom or it fail the test
4. Calibrate remote
5. To get feel first few flights same place bigger the field better grass best friend trees stay away from
Make sure you are in gps mode front lights are always red back lights should be only green I wait for minimum 7 sats if I don't have it I don't fly simple I don't care who is watching lol
6. Take your time don't rush in to a flight I always do a compas dance all the time safe way
7. Don't be afraid on take off this is smart toy and control is very good easy
8. Learn atti mode and course lock home lock all in open place keep phone I say about 20feet away when compass dance
9. Hover after take off about 10feet make sure everything looks an feels normal before taking off any higher
10. Learn to hand catch the bird it's a lot safer
11. I don't go out far out I like to keep eyes on bird witch is most safe way
12. Never get to cocky this means don't try something because people want to see it it's tempting but every labo owner driver don't go top speed because we want to see it lol
13. Practice figure 8 over and over with make you better flyer
14. Sticky situation stop don't guess anything if above clear fly up if not witch to course lock this makes the bird alway direct back will always be back to you even if front facing you

Now go out and enjoy it merry christmas

Hi can you tell me what software I will need exactly to do a complete update and calibration I was told it can fly straight out the box

first flight today all went well. Quick question I am unsure what this means I had green led at the rear that were flashing and red leds at the front should I have been flying with that>?

It might be good to calibrate the compass often. Although you don't NEED to, it will help to eliminate the cause of a crash, should one happen. There's no harm in calibrating often, unless you do it where you shouldn't.

Just my opinion.

sorry I meant flashing green leds at the front and solid red leds at the back? That's alright to fly with I think?

king156 said:
sorry I meant flashing green leds at the front and solid red leds at the back? That's alright to fly with I think?

The solid reds are actually the front. They illuminate anytime the motors are running. The flashing greens are the rear, and that indicates you have 7 or more GPS birds locked and is what you want to see. You should review that little card that explains the lights and what they mean as, sooner or later, they will be telling you something you will want to know.

thankyou have just been reading it very useful.

So I went out on another flight all was great so I came into land probably 1 foot of the ground I lowered it then when I powered down the p2 + tipped over and the props were scraping on the path for about 7 seconds now when I tried to power it back up my front right motor does not spin very well. SO when powering all the other motors spin as normal but this will not spin on low throttle only when you give it more throttle and is very jududery. Have I broken a motor or esc already?
I re calibrated it all and removed the props and put them all back on still no luck. ):

king156 said:

So I went out on another flight all was great so I came into land probably 1 foot of the ground I lowered it then when I powered down the p2 + tipped over and the props were scraping on the path for about 7 seconds now when I tried to power it back up my front right motor does not spin very well. SO when powering all the other motors spin as normal but this will not spin on low throttle only when you give it more throttle and is very jududery. Have I broken a motor or esc already?
I re calibrated it all and removed the props and put them all back on still no luck. ):
Sounds like a damaged motor. You should call the dealer you bought it from and see if they can help you.

king156 said:
when I powered down the p2 + tipped over and the props were scraping on the path for about 7 seconds
When powering down, always hold the left stick down until the motors shut off. This is known to happen when doing the CSC method (both sticks to the center).

thanks I was doing the csc method I will just do the one stick in the future if I ever get it working again.

king156 said:

Probably burned out a motor.
Now you may be stuck with no help from the dealer since this is essentially stolen merchandise, well, at least merchandise that was obtained through a less than honest transaction.
I think you were warned of Karma.
Seriously though, good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20