New owner of P3S - a few questions

Reaction score
Hi again,

So I chose the P3S instead of P2V+, tested it a couple of times in GPS mode(right stick in upper position) in city environment:

- one time I was in a parkinkg between small buildings (2-4 floors):
https://www.google.bg/maps/place/As...4bdc6f496!8m2!3d42.0133722!4d24.8784393?hl=en

- the other time I was in a big park, but in the very center of the capital city, surrounded by many buildings, closest one a Shopping Mall at 200m.
https://www.google.bg/maps/@42.6781549,23.3172827,3a,75y,211.79h,98.22t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-CWv_NXCd3hs/V8F1O6rRAKI/AAAAAAAAEqY/Uqy-4Nwbcdo03LvKyH-9HJaszFIYfgF9wCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s//lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CWv_NXCd3hs/V8F1O6rRAKI/AAAAAAAAEqY/Uqy-4Nwbcdo03LvKyH-9HJaszFIYfgF9wCLIB/w203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya294.46643-ro-0-fo100/!7i8704!8i4352?hl=en

So in both cases, when I got to altitued of about 15-16m, I got a warning on my app: Strong interference Detected. I checked in other topics and noticed its pretty common, especially in urban areas. My questions is-what is considered "long distance" by this warning, if Im flying straight up from the controller? Can I rely on the RTH to bring it back if it loses signal? Is RTH working 100% of the times (I`ve set it to max 400m)

One user in dji forum wrote this:
"I am having same issue with my P3s. Tried in different areas. What I have noticed is it has no relationship with metal. Specially after the firmware update if you are in a area with more then one wifi signal available in your mobile phone it showed this error. Samsung galaxy s4 does not display this error but it showed in if you click the controller option from the top left hand side. This is a bug and not happening with every craft. While mine showing this problem after the update (1.7.9.0) my friends P3S does not show this error. DJI has to fix it either by increasing channel or other way."

So should I just ignore this? The signal bars were almost full though. I see some comments about using it in ATTI mode instead of GPS, mode what are the pros and cons of that? I also have the latest firmware update as the guy in the quote.

I cant always go in the wild to fly, and also want to shoot city environment.

Last edited:
In a heavily urban environment, it's almost impossible to fly without seeing this warning.

Think about how many wireless signals are flying through the air - millions.

Even in my not-so-urban flying area, I get that message quite a lot. Some folks on here say ignore it - it doesn't really matter - some will say land immediately.

Ultimately, it's up to you. As long as you have your compass calibrated and home set, you shouldn't get into too much trouble but personally I wouldn't fly too far away.

Got any footage yet??

Distance is distance from you horizontally, and vertically. The issue is that in the urban environment, you'll likely have multiple other wifi SSID's being broadcast which will begin to interfere with you maintaining a signal to the quad.

I like to check the area with a wifi scanner (android or iphone) to get an idea, but before you ask, I couldn't tell you how many is too many :)

If you fly in ATTI, you essentially are flying a model A/C, it will not stop and hover if you let go of the sticks,you HAVE to fly it... will hold altitude however. It will drift if you have wind.Not a dealbreaker if you have flown R/C before. I'd recommend if comfortable to try it in a large open field, because one day you may need to flip to ATTI to save it if you don't like what it's doing in GPS mode, or some other RTH issue (too low, etc.)

Lastly (and someone correct me if incorrect please) if in ATTI and you get low on juice, it will land where it is, as RTH is a function of having GPS on ...

Your line "if Im flying straight up from the controller". This is the worst direction to fly, overhead. The antennas will not be in the optimum configuration. You can partly adjust the RC antenna to parallel the ground to halfway fix that, but its still not going to be optimum. The equipment is designed to fly in front of you horizontally with the RC antenna vertical.

Last edited:
I found that the last firmware update seemed to help the situation for me. I live in a townhouse community and everyone has at least one WIFI router (I have three). So flying near my home I used to get those errors a lot. Now I rarely get them, but I've also use the foil kite thing to help. Been looking at my healthy drones logs and haven't gotten them since the last update.

thank you all for your comments. I understand there are a lot of people/buildings emitting wifi/radio signals, large metal constructions, etc. but I thought at least 40-50m willnot be a problem. as a first flight I didnt get it over 20m. I will test it in open fields during the Christmas holidays, so I learn its limits, and when I get more confident I`ll get back to city environments.

Please share what altitude and horizontal distance do you keep your P3S when in city area?

I have very little amount of footage, nothing interesting, mainly because I didnt get it too high, and because the lighting was already poor. This is one pano I did from 5 photos, nothing special. Its from the location in the 2nd google link, in my first post. The quaility in bright daylight is satisfactory for me, so I understand the quality of this photo is mainly because of low lighting.

p.s. lol now I notice the poor overlapping in bottom center trees

IMG_0591a.jpg

Cool!

By the way is ND filter absolutely necessary? If so ND4 or ND8 is more usable? I got ND4 for my Nikon camera and allows me to go even lower than f2.8 on sunny days, so maybe ND8 is too dark for f/2.8 lens...

I got the jello effect in my videos, its slight but annoying. It was in both flights' videos (morning and afternoon)...the first time it was on auto settings, and second time the shutter speed was about 600-800 I think...I didnt try to remember the exact settings because I didnt know jello effect would appear, and at that time I didnt know high shutter speed can cause it.
- the rubber parts and anti drop pins seem fine to me
- I didnt calibrate the gimbal (I did it afterwards, when I noticed the jello, but havent flown since)
- the plastic foam around gimbal is removed, as it should be

here is my first ever video with it, the jello is pretty visible, especially when static:

Thanks for the links Rod, I will check them.

Can someone address my question regarding ND filters/ jello...also, what shutter speed is considered high enough for jello to appear...in other words, what shutter speed should I not go over, in order not to have jello effect?

@keeponrollin
By the way is ND filter absolutely necessary? If so ND4 or ND8 is more usable? I got ND4 for my Nikon camera and allows me to go even lower than f2.8 on sunny days, so maybe ND8 is too dark for f/2.8 lens...

I got the jello effect in my videos, its slight but annoying. It was in both flights' videos (morning and afternoon)...the first time it was on auto settings, and second time the shutter speed was about 600-800 I think...I didnt try to remember the exact settings because I didnt know jello effect would appear, and at that time I didnt know high shutter speed can cause it.

As I said in your post on the DJI forums there is no one magic ND filter. The filter is going to vary depending on the time of day, weather, and if your shooting looking away from the sun or towards the sun etc.
For video you want the shutter speed to be about twice the frame rate. You will need to select a filter that will give you that shutter speed based on the current lighting and direction of the shot. Of course it depends on what your trying to achieve with your video. If your more into shooting still pictures then your choice will change for different reasons. Nobody can tell you a ND4 or ND8 will be perfect for you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
As I said in your post on the DJI forums there is no one magic ND filter. The filter is going to vary depending on the time of day, weather, and if your shooting looking away from the sun or towards the sun etc.
For video you want the shutter speed to be about twice the frame rate. You will need to select a filter that will give you that shutter speed based on the current lighting and direction of the shot. Of course it depends on what your trying to achieve with your video. If your more into shooting still pictures then your choice will change for different reasons. Nobody can tell you a ND4 or ND8 will be perfect for you.

"in your post on the DJI forums"

My post?
Hum, ;)

How about a link of what we are confused about ;)

Rod

Lastly (and someone correct me if incorrect please) if in ATTI and you get low on juice, it will land where it is, as RTH is a function of having GPS on ...

Someone correct ME if I'M wrong, but I believe RTH will follow the action yout have chosen in the settings regardless of which mode you are currently flying in. (ATTI mode does not completely shut the gps receiver off)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

guys, thank you for your replies, but I think Im not making myself clear, so I will try again:

I understand the different ND filters affect the brightness of the shot differently - ND8 making it darker than ND4, etc. allowing slower shutter speed. I got this.

What Im asking is, will the type of jello visible here:

be eliminated by an ND filter and what is the maximum shutter speed that I have to use to avoid having jello (this will help me decide which ND filter to buy)..should I follow the rule of shutter speed being twice the framerate?
Im aasking because good filters are expensive and I dont want to waste my money if they will not eliminate the jello.

guys, thank you for your replies, but I think Im not making myself clear, so I will try again:

I understand the different ND filters affect the brightness of the shot differently - ND8 making it darker than ND4, etc. allowing slower shutter speed. I got this.

What Im asking is, will the type of jello visible here:

be eliminated by an ND filter and what is the maximum shutter speed that I have to use to avoid having jello (this will help me decide which ND filter to buy)..should I follow the rule of shutter speed being twice the framerate?
Im aasking because good filters are expensive and I dont want to waste my money if they will not eliminate the jello.
Will it fix it ? Maybe..... If everything else is good on the bird . No nasty vibrations etc. Check props , motor shafts and bearings, gimbal mount.

Re what filter - The filter that gives you a shutter speed 2 x the frame rate your shooting at.
Ie e.g. Shooting 30 frames a second you want a filter that gives the right exposure at a shutter speed of 1/60

wow, in a bright sunny day with fixed f 2.8 and a shutter speed at 1/60s it should be one hell of a filter, maybe I`ll go with at least ND8.

wow, in a bright sunny day with fixed f 2.8 and a shutter speed at 1/60s it should be one hell of a filter, maybe I`ll go with at least ND8.
More than that, maybe a ND16 (4 stop) or ND 32 (5 stop).
Filter-Use-Chart.png

Someone correct ME if I'M wrong, but I believe RTH will follow the action yout have chosen in the settings regardless of which mode you are currently flying in. (ATTI mode does not completely shut the gps receiver off)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Hey, guy :)
Yeah, his statement is confusing, so is yours ;) :)

So...
Hum...
Yes, I say your correct, that is what he was wondering.

For all following I'm going to give this a try.
The Phantom needs, Home Point, GPS, compass to RTH.
Without looking the manual, which I bet was confusing in Chinese, then translated to English. :rolleyes:
RTH, should do what it is set to do, flying in any mode. If the Phantom is receiving GPS.

Anybody got any corrections, comments or thoughts. :)

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4