New owner Mac Computer, any reccomendation for editing prog?

Reaction score
thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to my post.

Just waiting for the new drone to arrive via mail.. as well as a new Imac. just wondering what kind of video editing software i should be looking at. i know theres final cut pro that comes with this mac but it may be more than what I need for what i am doing. Any recommendations?

also what is a good bag/case that will carry the essentials safely to and from that is practical.

thank you very much!

Re: New owner Mac Computer, any reccomendation for editing p

FCPX.

Final cut pro X is nice. Honestly I have been using iMovie that comes with my Mac. works fine but i will eventually transition to Final cut pro.

In terms of a case... i just order this case in Yellow. Tell him Phantompilots sent you.
http://www.acesdeals.biz/apps/webstore/ ... ow/4846026

[vimeo]93095656[/vimeo]

iMovie works great.
here's my first vid made with iMovie:

doug86 said:
[vimeo]93095656[/vimeo]

iMovie works great.
here's my first vid made with iMovie:

Nice job. Great news....I have iMovie in both my iMac 27" and new 15" Macbook Pro.... I and dying to try it out. Every time I see another video, I get even more excited. I'll be getting my Phantom 2 as soon as B&H approves the new Zenmuse H3-3d for the package I want. The waiting is killing me!! ;>)

+1 on iMovie. Use it for a while, if you feel you really are limited by it then you can look into something higher class

Hi Skyvision,

I work in a film and tv post production house so can help you choose a program but it all depends on how seriously you want to take it. iMovie is ok for very basic editing and maybe a good (free) start to learn the basics of editing but I think you'll want to upgrade fairly quickly.

Final Cut Pro 7 was pretty common software to find in the industry but since FCPX has come out we have only seen a single use of FCPX and it was a nightmare for us. Like all things Apple they have chosen visual appearance over practicality. Now having said that the problems we had with it are possibly things you will never have to do anyway so this may be your best value for money option.

Avid Media Composer is probably the only standard now for professional editing with Adobe Premiere becoming more and more popular also. If you have the money I would go for the Adobe option though. Creative Cloud is subscription based now which I don't know if that's an option for you but having Photoshop, Premiere, AE and Encore up your sleeve would mean never really needing to go outside the Adobe Suite from start to finish.

So my advice is start with iMovie, then if you only want to spend a few hundred dollars make the move to FCPX (It's like a beefier version of iMovie)

If you would like to have the option to really push your skills then go Adobe.

Joel_t said:
Hi Skyvision,

I work in a film and tv post production house so can help you choose a program but it all depends on how seriously you want to take it. iMovie is ok for very basic editing and maybe a good (free) start to learn the basics of editing but I think you'll want to upgrade fairly quickly.

Final Cut Pro 7 was pretty common software to find in the industry but since FCPX has come out we have only seen a single use of FCPX and it was a nightmare for us. Like all things Apple they have chosen visual appearance over practicality. Now having said that the problems we had with it are possibly things you will never have to do anyway so this may be your best value for money option.

Avid Media Composer is probably the only standard now for professional editing with Adobe Premiere becoming more and more popular also. If you have the money I would go for the Adobe option though. Creative Cloud is subscription based now which I don't know if that's an option for you but having Photoshop, Premiere, AE and Encore up your sleeve would mean never really needing to go outside the Adobe Suite from start to finish.

So my advice is start with iMovie, then if you only want to spend a few hundred dollars make the move to FCPX (It's like a beefier version of iMovie)

Good advice, but your initial statement is rather pretentious... just because you work film/tv don't assume you think we automatically need to be like you and upgrade from iMovie if we are serious. I can tell you that i'm very serious about making some cool movie keepsakes of my travels around the world, sharing it on social media and iMovie suits my needs based on how much time I want to spend and learn... and based on the fact that I am not upgrading from my macbook air with core 2 duo that can barely run iMovie. I'm really not interested in making a professional film. I know you guys can see the I do not shoot ProScan and I do not post process...I know it's simple but I simply am OK doing it and my intended audience (my family and friends) don't care that I don't.

d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:
Hi Skyvision,

Good advice, but your initial statement is rather pretentious... just because you work film/tv don't assume you think we automatically need to be like you and upgrade from iMovie if we are serious. I can tell you that i'm very serious about making some cool movie keepsakes of my travels around the world, sharing it on social media and iMovie suits my needs based on how much time I want to spend and learn... and based on the fact that I am not upgrading from my macbook air with core 2 duo that can barely run iMovie. I'm really not interested in making a professional film. I know you guys can see the I do not shoot ProScan and I do not post process...I know it's simple but I simply am OK doing it and my intended audience (my family and friends) don't care that I don't.

That's fine and I totally understand that the majority of people are never going to need more than iMovie but there were already a bunch of comments recommending iMovie so I didn't see much point in just saying iMovie again, I don't think that is pretentious.

I gave the OP other options that he may not have thought about (seeing as they hadn't been mentioned yet) and although I never assumed he would want to do this professionally, you've assumed that he doesn't.

He has mentioned he has just bought a brand new iMac so he is not going to have any trouble running FCPX or an Adobe Suite if he wishes to do so.

Joel_t said:
d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:
Hi Skyvision,

I said your initial statement is rather pretentious and that is my opinion. just read it word for word. I did say you have good advice. Let's look at the exact statement.

I work in a film and tv post production house so can help you choose a program (you have to be a film professional to help him choose?)
but it all depends on how seriously you want to take it (So because I use iMovie i'm not serious).
iMovie is ok for very basic editing and maybe a good (free) start to learn the basics of editing but I think you'll want to upgrade fairly quickly (He does want to upgrade quickly?).

After you get past that your advice is sound. Perception is everything.

d4ddyo said:
I said your initial statement is rather pretentious and that is my opinion. just read it word for word. I did say you have good advice. Let's look at the exact statement.

I work in a film and tv post production house so can help you choose a program (you have to be a film professional to help him choose?)
but it all depends on how seriously you want to take it (So because I use iMovie i'm not serious).
iMovie is ok for very basic editing and maybe a good (free) start to learn the basics of editing but I think you'll want to upgrade fairly quickly (He does want to upgrade quickly?).

Take it how you will mate. If I was looking for advice on buying a car and there was a mechanic in the forum I'd appreciate advice from someone who works in the industry but if that is pretentious to you so be it. I'm just lucky enough to have a fairly good understanding of this stuff so thought I would share it with someone asking for it.

Also you say that because you use iMovie that doesn't make you a serious editor? That's absolutely correct! iMovie is a great little free video editor that is more than sufficient for the majority of the population but I highly doubt there is anyone using it out there that considers themselves serious editors.

I did assume I thought he may want to upgrade once he's got the hang of editing in iMovie maybe that was a bad assumption but I hardly think that's pretentious. Oh well my point is I was giving advice about editing software to the OP not discussing whether you'll win an oscar for your edits in iMovie... jokes :lol:

Joel_t said:
d4ddyo said:

Take it how you will mate. If I was looking for advice on buying a car and there was a mechanic in the forum I'd appreciate advice from someone who works in the industry but if that is pretentious to you so be it. I'm just lucky enough to have a fairly good understanding of this stuff so thought I would share it with someone asking for it.

Also you say that because you use iMovie that doesn't make you a serious editor? That's absolutely correct! iMovie is a great little free video editor that is more than sufficient for the majority of the population but I highly doubt there is anyone using it out there that considers themselves serious editors.

I did assume I thought he may want to upgrade once he's got the hang of editing in iMovie maybe that was a bad assumption but I hardly think that's pretentious. Oh well my point is I was giving advice about editing software to the OP not discussing whether you'll win an oscar for your edits in iMovie... jokes :lol:

I'm not your mate. I am serious (def. serious:acting or speaking sincerely and in earnest, rather than in a joking or halfhearted manner) I assure you that I am serious. Sorry that i have a good understanding of english language. I can read exactly how you write it... And you should read my post carefully.

I'm interested in hearing from anybody who's been using GoPro Studio. It seems like it's a step above iMovie and very intuitive without the bulk of Premiere or FCPX.
Anybody?

d4ddyo said:
I'm not your mate. I am serious (def. serious:acting or speaking sincerely and in earnest, rather than in a joking or halfhearted manner) I assure you that I am serious. Sorry that i have a good understanding of english language. I can read exactly how you write it... And you should read my post carefully.

Wow the arrogance of some people in here is comical!

Back on topic tho +1 for either fcpx or prem. Haven't touched premier for a few years but was quite easy to learn. Using fcpx now and finding that fine for what i do which is just basic cut and pasting of videos.

Im very new to all this phantom stuff i just bought a phantom vision last weekend so like you have been trying my luck at editing some movies together.

Good luck with whatever program you decide and post some videos when you make some :D

andysydney said:
I'm interested in hearing from anybody who's been using GoPro Studio. It seems like it's a step above iMovie and very intuitive without the bulk of Premiere or FCPX.
Anybody?

It's not too bad. You can do the basics. I like the remove fisheye feature of it.

Joel_t said:
andysydney said:
Anybody?

It's not too bad. You can do the basics. I like the remove fisheye feature of it.

I use GoPro studio to transcode my GoPro media before bringing it into FCPX for editing. (love working with FPCX).
tho I found GoPro Studio to be rather quirky and buggy on my Mac, not sure why, but it's not too sleek.

IMovie is perfectly fine for doing basic video editing, and great for beginners.
- and a good stepping stone towards FPCX if you ever want to go deeper into editing.

FCPX does have video stabilization, which is handy for drone footage that needs it. (even with footage that's shot with a gimbal can benefit)

Gizmo3000 said:
I use GoPro studio to transcode my GoPro media before bringing it into FCPX for editing. (love working with FPCX).
tho I found GoPro Studio to be rather quirky and buggy on my Mac, not sure why, but it's not too sleek.

IMovie is perfectly fine for doing basic video editing, and great for beginners.
- and a good stepping stone towards FPCX if you ever want to go deeper into editing.

FCPX does have video stabilization, which is handy for drone footage that needs it. (even with footage that's shot with a gimbal can benefit)

Yeah I agree with transcoding the GoPro footage I have to do that too. Find the native MP4 files are a bit buggy on my system yet if I make them ProRes they play great. That may be different depending on what program you are using though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj