New or old motors phantom 3

I have owned both p3 the new v2 is better for flite times 3 mins more! The v1 seems that the battery gets much hotter and so do motors when you are running a battery mod! this has been my experience.for me I will stick to the v2.

I have owned both p3 the new v2 is better for flite times 3 mins more! The v1 seems that the battery gets much hotter and so do motors when you are running a battery mod! this has been my experience.for me I will stick to the v2.
It's very unfortunate for us that DJI chose to simultaneously and independently cripple the video output power, during the changeover to the new, more efficient motors with longer flight times.

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
But I still have my GL 300 A!!
True, but that does not do anything to help increase the crippled video power output from the aircraft needed for FPV. Even with boosters and an antenna mod, there is only so much a "hearing aid" can do. The antenna mod with boosters boosts the outgoing control signal, increasing the control range. It cannot increase the original power output for FPV from the aircraft. It can only boost what little FPV signal it receives, along with all accompanying noise.

True, but that does not do anything to help increase the crippled video power output from the aircraft needed for FPV. Even with boosters and an antenna mod, there is only so much a "hearing aid" can do. The antenna mod with boosters boosts the outgoing control signal, increasing the control range. It cannot increase the original power output for FPV from the aircraft. It can only boost what little FPV signal it receives, along with all accompanying noise.
Ahhhh yes that's right good point was this down graded from a firmware update or manufacturing?

Ahhhh yes that's right good point was this down graded from a firmware update or manufacturing?
Manufacturing. FCC power output specs for the aircraft were changed when the new motors and boards were used, and the model number changed from W323 to W323A.

Tony at FPVLR claimed to have a birdside video mod. However, it was mutually exclusive with the birdside battery mod, which made it useless for me, as without the external batteries to support the radio control range, the stronger video signal was of no value. Those who sent their aircraft in to him for the birdside video mod anyway all regretted it. My own solution was to simply buy lightly used W323 aircraft that didn't require additional video output amplification.

I've heard the same.. that all birdside mods resulted in unhappy owners ("all" may be too strong a generalization, maybe "most"). :) Still, one would think that even if we could somehow grab a little more antenna exposure, probably omni, it would help.. Something, perhaps, mounted topside with a little more gain and low weight.. Issue is balance.. Has to be something that doesn't throw off the overall balance of the aircraft...

Manufacturing. FCC power output specs for the aircraft were changed when the new motors and boards were used, and the model number changed from W323 to W323A.

I didn't think that the A, B, and C models (of the aircraft) came out after the motor change? The motor change was announced end of September 2015.. I thought that there were 323A and maybe even B models with the old motors before that date?? Found an old post on DJI Forum where someone posted that the power output of the 300C RC was 10x the power output of the 300B RC??? Think it was a typo...

And looking back, it appears the new motors did coincide with the A model.. I have a 322 (now 323) with the new body though... Where's that chart with all the RC and Aircraft power readings.. :)

Last edited:
I have taken apart a few 323A's and it's just a board under the VPS. Unless it's something with the firmware not accepting mix match parts???

I've heard the same.. that all birdside mods resulted in unhappy owners ("all" may be too strong a generalization, maybe "most"). :) Still, one would think that even if we could somehow grab a little more antenna exposure, probably omni, it would help.. Something, perhaps, mounted topside with a little more gain and low weight.. Issue is balance.. Has to be something that doesn't throw off the overall balance of the aircraft...
Tony sells the twirly bird external antennas used for the video mod separately, if you want to crack open the bird and replace the originals with it, without an amplifier. Leaving them on means the aircraft no longer fits in most cases. Figuring out which antennas are control and which are video was Tony's initial challenge, as he got it wrong, and it varied from bird to bird, as there was no consistency. Apparently, each installer at the DJI factory did it however they pleased! :eek:

I didn't think that the A, B, and C models (of the aircraft) came out after the motor change? The motor change was announced end of September 2015.. I thought that there were 323A and maybe even B models with the old motors before that date?? Found an old post on DJI Forum where someone posted that the power output of the 300C RC was 10x the power output of the 300B RC??? Think it was a typo...

And looking back, it appears the new motors did coincide with the A model.. I have a 322 (now 323) with the new body though... Where's that chart with all the RC and Aircraft power readings.. :)
The typo was on the FCC documents DJI sumitted for the GL300A and GL300B controllers. The decimal point was misplaced, showing .038 watts, instead of .380 watts, as I recall, while the GL300C had its decimal point in the correct place at .303 watts, as I recall.

Not sure where all these output power figures came from but here's a comparison of DB gain between the three controllers straight from the actual testing done for the FCC approval. I'm no rocket scientist and there's probably other factors to consider but there sure seems that in every new revision DJI is trying to reduce the range of the units.

Attachments

• fcc results.jpg
    fcc results.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 285

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic