New old guy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a phantom 4 pro or a mavic pro. I want to get some fat shark goggles and do some FPV flying. I just want to be up in the craft. I do want to do some long range stuff, up to 5 miles and would love to upgrade whatever I buy with some maxxuav stuff to increase its signal. I've seen videos of these 2 drones flying up to 8 miles with not much modifications. Not sure I would want to do that but would like to fly around my small farm town. If you have any suggestions let me know. I've been in every type rc made but helicopters for the last 30 years or more.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

At this time, there is no way to hook up FPV goggles to the Mavic. DJI is supposed to be releasing their goggles at some point, but there's no telling what they will be like since nobody has seen/reviewed them. That said, I'd personally go with the P4P since FPV goggles can be hooked directly to the remote controller after installing the HDMI output module.

Ha! Thanks. You know. This is a vicious cycle for me. I'm 44 now. Not too too old but. I started in RC at 12 with a Nikko Rhino and have never really been without something. I've raced carpet oval, concrete super speedway oval, on road, trucks, 10th scale trucks, 1/8th scale buggies (gas and electric) and have also had several gas and electric planes. No helicopters tho! Never really had a urge for one of those but the lure of FPV Has bitten me once again and it's at a time in my life where I can afford it. It has to be with goggles. I have to have the full immersion effect or I'm not doing it. Lol. I look forward to learning. PS I was leaning toward building a long range craft but it seems to me that the phantom has all that's needed to do what I want so I think that's the one.

Thanks guys.

Gotcha, @C_Heath. Now I see the reasoning for the "new old guy" title of the thread.

FPV is a whole new world, and an awesome one. :) Goggles are definitely the way to go. I've always enjoyed the Zeiss Cinemizers and it's what we recommend to most folks. DJI's Goggles will be available at some point but unfortunately there is no firm timeline.

We're happy to have you here on the forum.

My favorite FPV goggles are the Avegant Glyph goggles. You can find some other commonly used FPV goggles here.

Welcome to the forum C .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl