New NazaM Firmware

Reaction score
I just installed the new 3.12 NazaM firmware. I like the way the Phantom is responding except for take off. The new "soft" take off allows the Phantom to tilt forward as it is leaving the ground. I've had the copter smack the front blades into the grass a couple of times and this is without the GoPro H3 mounted. Is there something I can set in the software to get a more aggressive launch?

There are two things that I have found that may cause that, although there may be others.

One, if you are on a surface that grabs at the skids even a little bit, it will be enough to tip the Phantom unless it is rising precisely vertically.

Second, it seems that if I don't have a good position lock just before takeoff, such as if I have moved the aircraft only a foot or so, it will tend to want to tilt in the direction of where it thinks it should be. Granted, GPS isn't that precise all the time, but I am guessing that it is pretty spot on for a short time right after the coordinates are recorded. So, if the GPS reading changes a little bit from the original lock, then the Phantom will tend to want to go that way.

Lately I have taken to forcing a GPS reading (flipping the HL switch 5 times) just before takeoff to try to insure that the lock is on the current position. This may be hogwash, but then...

The exact same thing happen to me, I thought it was because I had my hero 3 hanging and that thru off the COG. Since then I've added a cheap gimbal, and now when I take off, I point the front "uphill" slightly to counter the effect lol

http://youtu.be/kwePoMKVx5U

Hard to notice but the spot I take off from is slanted slightly, and when I land it, I rotate to the same position, this is also the softest landing I've ever done!

If you "gun it" on takeoff, it will launch with the throttle higher than 51% and more or less override the soft auto takeoff. That's what I have done since 3.12 came along. Actually, now that I think about it, that's how I have always done it, even with the older versions.

Think of it as pulling out into traffic from a dead stop... you don't just putt putt along, do you? No, you pick out an opening, get on the gas, and get up to speed quickly. Same thing taking off. If you are going to go, then GO! If not, then stay put.

BURN SOME RUBBER!

Going higher throttle percentage is best especially when heavy and also be careful of the props you use, not all props give the same lift as stock especially not 8x5 carbon fiber graupner clones which I used and are rubbish on the phantom. I found they had less then half the lift and so not only is takeoff a problem so is flying at reduced RPM and I would strongly suggest using stock props or other with more lift especially if flying heavy.

I prefer taking off in atti mode so the phantom doesn't do any weird movements and if taking off slower (I still give it quite a bit of gas the first few feet) I will pitch into the wind slightly or opposite to whichever direction it wants to go. As others have said be careful nothing is grabbing the landing skids as this can cause it to crash no matter what you do. I have seen full sized heli's go down getting snagged on takeoff so be careful with your launch location.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4