New Motors now pulling hard right

Reaction score
I installed four new Tiger motors today (because I could not find replacement stock motors anywhere). First few flights were fine. Motors are very high quality. Can't tell much of a difference in performance other than they are quiet. Problem now is when in GPS mode only and I give it throttle, it pulls hard to the right every time. It does not do this in attitude mode. I have reset the compass multiple times and recalibrated multiple times. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Jax Quad said:
I installed four new Tiger motors today (because I could not find replacement stock motors anywhere). First few flights were fine. Motors are very high quality. Can't tell much of a difference in performance other than they are quiet. Problem now is when in GPS mode only and I give it throttle, it pulls hard to the right every time. It does not do this in attitude mode. I have reset the compass multiple times and recalibrated multiple times. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Its clearly a software glitch since atti mode is fine...

Did you do IMU calibration?

Also did the stock phantom props screw in without a hitch?

Yes the props went on fine. They are a little tighter on the T motors but I doublechecked and they are all on fine.

I did a basic calibration. I would not let me do an advanced, said it was too warm, even though the PV2 was cool.

Should I persist with an advanced calibration? Any other ideas, I'm trying everything.

Jax Quad said:
Yes the props went on fine. They are a little tighter on the T motors but I doublechecked and they are all on fine.

I did a basic calibration. I would not let me do an advanced, said it was too warm, even though the PV2 was cool.

Should I persist with an advanced calibration? Any other ideas, I'm trying everything.

The "too warm" warning is a bug in the assistant software. Simply ignore it and continue with the advanced calibration.

If it is not the CCW motor(s) revving up faster than the CW motor(s),
then perhaps the compas needs re-calibration?

garygid said:
If it is not the CCW motor(s) revving up faster than the CW motor(s),
then perhaps the compas needs re-calibration?

I did the advanced calibration. I have also calibrated the compass multiple times now and it's still happening. I suppose it could be the CCW motors revving up faster but I did not know that happened. Is there a way to stop this. And again it's only in GPS mode, would that have any effect on revving? It's just an annoyance as everything else works and I fly in attitude mode most of the time anyway, but it just makes me nervous thinking it might lead to some larger problem. I appreciate all of the help.

How did you install the new motors just out of curiosity? I noticed the wires appear to be soldered to the pcb.... I didn't take my motor out to look tho if there was a plug or something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The copter is controlled by equations, and more so in GPS mode.
Generally these equations model the expected behavior of the vehicle,
including weight, torque produced by an applied current, etc.
Changing the motor could have changed the performance without
changing the related equations.

garygid said:
very good point !
one part of the equation is the data coming from gps, gyro and compass and these data cannot be changed by us
but what we can change are all the parameters that are in the assistant software when in mode naza-m

maybe playing with these parameters will sort out the issue ...

Very good points. I was hoping it was something simpler. To replace the motors you have to solder in the new ones. No big deal at all. I think I'm going to have to get used to this one issue.

garygid said:

But when Tiger motors say its a replacement motor for the DJI phantom, you'd expect it to be compatable with the naza :)

And if your using 4 of the same motor, the same parameters would be different for each corner, not just one side??

The fact it flies fine in atti mode is puzzling. Do you mean you notice absolutely no uneven flight issue at all in atti, only in GPS mode? Have you double-checked all connectors and wiring on the main board relating to the GPS? E.g. is the GPS plug seated properly on the main board, any of the wires pinched at all when you put it all back together?

Along with what pull_up has suggested, make sure the compass is on the correct leg (and sitting straight) as being mounted on the wrong leg could cause issues in GPS mode

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj