NEW mini4 (iOS 9) issue

Just flew my P3A on an iPad Mini 4 Cellular with Airplane mode enabled, and Hardware Decode enabled with no lag or issue. Probably doesn't help much for those experiencing issues but perhaps Airplane mode helps.
Unfortunately, this does not tell the whole story, please include:
Humidity/Temperature?
Video cache on/off?
Other iPad apps open?
Direct sun or shade?
How long we're your flights?

Not sure how many times I need to post this. If you're at firmware 1.4.x then go back to 1.3.2

Maybe it's not the firmware? Every iPad is different! I have one that has been used and abused. Gets super hot fast and then the lag comes.

Unfortunately, this does not tell the whole story, please include:
Humidity/Temperature?
Video cache on/off?
Other iPad apps open?
Direct sun or shade?
How long we're your flights?

Low humidity - 75 degrees (North California)
Video cache on
No other apps open
Both direct sun and shade (still used the hood though)
Averaged around 17 mins each flight
Used POI and follow me without issue
Lost signal for a second once but I was behind a tree at the time

I did get a compass error on the first flight - calibrated the compass and checked IMU etc - all were good. The bird drifted on lift off for the first flight (I don't use auto-takeoff). Landed - shutdown - restarted without issue - no more drift after that.

Anything else I can tell you?

No one seems to be looking at the obvious... EVER! Airplane mode does NOTHING for temperature! And the resources pertaining to the devices disables in airplane mode are all internal to that specific device. ie wifi us handled by the wifi chip. cellular service is handled by the gsm chipset. Screen brightness is most likely the only thing that we are all having heat issues from. That because we all likely have brightness maxed out to make up for the pathetic screen apple devices have!
Direct sunlight?? Only relevant in regard to screen brightness. It might make a difference if we were on Mars. But sunlight produces next to nothing for heat on a tablet.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No one seems to be looking at the obvious... EVER! Airplane mode does NOTHING for temperature! And the resources pertaining to the devices disables in airplane mode are all internal to that specific device. ie wifi us handled by the wifi chip. cellular service is handled by the gsm chipset. Screen brightness is most likely the only thing that we are all having heat issues from. That because we all likely have brightness maxed out to make up for the pathetic screen apple devices have!
Direct sunlight?? Only relevant in regard to screen brightness. It might make a difference if we were on Mars. But sunlight produces next to nothing for heat on a tablet.

I get that - I'm just answering questions as the come along! :)

I know Steve.. was just pointing it out. Its not iOS 9. I've been running it for over a month. Never has a single issue in BETA testing it or DJIs soft/firmware. I would venture to bet that its the memory or video processor in the Mini4. `Most iterations of iJunk have had totally different performance attributed for different versions of the same tablet/phone. Like the iPad Air 2 16gig has significantly faster RAM than the larger models. I'm not going to dig in to the specifics for the Mini 4, but that's something you might look at.

So, better to return the Mini 4 Cellular (for all of us that purchased it just a few days ago) and get the Air 2 Cellular, or stick with the Mini 4 which is lighter and fits well on the remote, and wait for a soon to be released update?

I would stay with the Mini...

Sunlight produces next to nothing for heat on a tablet??? I don't believe that is a correct assessment of direct sunlight in 90 plus temperatures in the Southwest. It does have a significant effect on the tablet heat build up.

iPad mini3 iOS 9 lots of lag and shoppy streaming, i flew with the same iPad on iOS 8.4.1 it works like a charm ... so, the iOS 9 has some glitches to be repaired later ... again, and at the same evening iPhone 5s iOS 8.4.1 works super great ... bird and rc the latest firmware, fly safe

I doubt that screen brightness has much to do with the heat problem. But, sunlight does have a lot to do with heating of a phone or tablet.

Sunlight produces next to nothing for heat on a tablet??? I don't believe that is a correct assessment of direct sunlight in 90 plus temperatures in the Southwest. It does have a significant effect on the tablet heat build up.
Of course you're right Bob. That comment about sunlight not impacting the tablet is simply not true.

Reactions: bobmyers
Of course you're right Bob. That comment about sunlight not impacting the tablet is simply not true.

I think the original poster was more interested in dissing Apple products than offering a constructive answer.

Just flew my p3p iPad 2 mini wifi only ios9, airplane mode on, hardware decode on. Went good for about 10 mins no issues. The sun is down with a cool breeze. iPad never even got warm. After about 10 min I started losing display then went black. Came back then slow screen refresh. Prior to iOS 9 update no issues.

Just flew my p3p iPad 2 mini wifi only ios9, airplane mode on, hardware decode on. Went good for about 10 mins no issues. The sun is down with a cool breeze. iPad never even got warm. After about 10 min I started losing display then went black. Came back then slow screen refresh. Prior to iOS 9 update no issues.
Nine could be an issue-- Always best to wait until the smoke clears for these firmware updates, not only on the P3, but the Tablet and Phones also. Is there a way to revert back to the previous version on the devices?

Wtf switched to an ipad mini 2 wifi from an android phone because I was done with the many
dji go/pilot crashes freeze ups.
And now I was so stupid to update the ipad mini 2 to iOS 9 before even using it and have a new problem after about 10 minutes the video lag is extreme bad.
Wished I never updated to iOS 9 I hope this will be fixed soon as it very annoying.

iPad mini3 iOS 9 lots of lag and shoppy streaming, i flew with the same iPad on iOS 8.4.1 it works like a charm ... so, the iOS 9 has some glitches to be repaired later ... again, and at the same evening iPhone 5s iOS 8.4.1 works super great ... bird and rc the latest firmware, fly safe

... concerning my iPad mini 3 , i went back to iOS 8.4.1 from iOS 9 ... i will check tomorrow morning if the lag still occurs !!! fly safe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20