NEW mini4 (iOS 9) issue

@sdharris
Do you use a sunshield with your iPad mini4? Do you put it in airplane mode and apply the typical suggestions to minimize overheat? I recall your home location doesn't have high temperatures, correct?
I'm not able to test my iPad mini4 cellular until Sunday when I'll be in a tropical climate [emoji16]

I have the DJI sun shield but never used it, I tend to stand under a tree / find some shade. I left everything running on my test, which is unusual as I would normally turn wifi off as I found it hunting for signals disrupt the lightbridge connection. Instead I stood there today listing to pings of email arriving in the inbox. I was considering using the BBC iPayer in that clever little media screen you can use now on iOS 9.

Certainly a cool september day here now. We probably need you in a car with A/C for two batteries, then step out in the tropical climate (I am jealous) for two batteries and see how it performs.

So trying to verify, with the latest Go App and the new iPad mini 4 and IOS 9 it is working or not working?
Interested in knowing this too. I just upgraded to a P3A with an iPad mini 4 on the way. All my other Apple devices are too old to be compatible so the iPad 4 is my only choice.

On the DJI forum someone from DJI just admitted there were issues with iOS 9 and to hold off upgrading.

I find it incredible that DJI is just finding this out now. I guess we are all their beta testers....just throw it out into the wild and wait for the problems to arise.

Last edited:
Interested in knowing this too. I just upgraded to a P3A with an iPad mini 4 on the way. All my other Apple devices are too old to be compatible so the iPad 4 is my only choice.

On the DJI forum someone from DJI just admitted there were issues with iOS 9 and to hold off upgrading.

I find it incredible that DJI is just finding this out now. I guess we are all their beta testers....just throw it out into the wild and wait for the problems to arise.

Its not unheard of, many apps will have little problems on iOS 9. I am using iOS 9 as I picked up a new iPad 4 Mini but my old iPad 2 Mini will stay on iOS 8.4 for weeks until all apps I use are confirmed as compatible. Its not really DJIs fault this time, and that hard for me to say ;-)

If people have only one device its more sensible to hold off if its crucial that everything work.

Its not unheard of, many apps will have little problems on iOS 9. I am using iOS 9 as I picked up a new iPad 4 Mini but my old iPad 2 Mini will stay on iOS 8.4 for weeks until all apps I use are confirmed as compatible. Its not really DJIs fault this time, and that hard for me to say ;-)

If people have only one device its more sensible to hold off if its crucial that everything work.
I understand that some apps have issues when a new OS is released. However, iOS 9 beta has been out for a long time. Enough for them to test it out thoroughly for lagging and screen freezing. Plus, DJI released a major update to the app one week before Apple releases a major update too. Bad timing.

That said some of the issues seem to be with the new iPad 4 mini and they could not predict that problem.

My problem is the iPad mini 4 is my only device.

I tested indoors with my new iPad mini 4 and video seems fine. Going to try and fly it later on this evening.

Maybe a software issue? I have a new iPad mini 2. After about 15 min of flying the lag is terrible for me. Wonder if my iPad is heating up.
I have the same iPad mini 2 and the video lag is terrible right from take off. 4 seconds! Choppy, horrible feed. Hoping DJI can fix this issue as they list the iPad mini 2 as a usable device and I (and many others) bought it specifically for the P3! All settings used, tried the paper towel, shut down ipad before, airplane mode & hardware decode on.

iPad mini 2 with cellular here and it is not usable. When I go into my past flight logs it no longer states the location, it just says "Map Loading" Other than that it is not safe to use, so I haven't looked around the app for more issues.

I was actually going to head to the store right now and get a mini 4, but now it sounds like the mini4 with cellular is not working either.
Is the mini 4 cellular working for everyone?

I have the same iPad mini 2 and the video lag is terrible right from take off. 4 seconds! Choppy, horrible feed. Hoping DJI can fix this issue as they list the iPad mini 2 as a usable device and I (and many others) bought it specifically for the P3! All settings used, tried the paper towel, shut down ipad before, airplane mode & hardware decode on.

Not sure how many times I need to post this. If you're at firmware 1.4.x then go back to 1.3.2

ipad mini 2 cellular was working perfect for about 20 flights with 1.4 firmware, Problems began with iOS 9 for me. It also seems that some of the NON cellular mini 2 and 3 are working OK with iOS 9
Any chance to turn off Location Services and/or turn on Airplane Mode, which should change cellular model to NON-cellular model, if NON-cellular model working OK?

Reactions: fall2fast
I bought an IPad mini 4 specifically for my p3a its been fantastic , reading about the app crashes on iOS 9 across the board, I'm going to wait till apple fix it

Any chance to turn off Location Services and/or turn on Airplane Mode, which should change cellular model to NON-cellular model, if NON-cellular model working OK?
GOOD idea! Cellular is only really needed to load map data, and I have some cached, and needed for follow me mode. Actually I am going to the apple store right now and pick up the mini 4, so new test will be performed. My gf is going to take over the mini 2. BTW my mini 2 is 16gig memory too, so I will have more storage on the mini 4. Thank you for a USEFUL suggestion!

I just downloaded everything and test flew mp P3P with my new iPAD mini 4 and huge video lag. (the mini-4 has the same power as the Air 2) so I'm assuming it a software glitch. I tried it with Autopilot as well and same video glitch. Sold my mini 2 so I stuck with my iPhone 6+ until I would expect a firmware update.
The Mini 4 has an A8 processor. The Air 2 has an A8X. They also have different memory, but I have yet to determine actual specs for those two variations. Still very likely that they are not close to the same. In all of that... you cant assume that a Mini 4 will perform anything like an Air2

Hi all,just joined,cool Forum,just bought a Phantom3 Advance,arriving Monday,can't wait.I went out and bought a tablet for it at Best Buy,it's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4-10.1"(255.8km)WXGA LCD-WI-FI-16GB.W this Tablet work fine for my P3A? a aging eyes so I wanted something big,Android Phn of mine to dark outside and Pilot App be to small for the eyes,Thx in advance with your replies.

Just flew my P3A on an iPad Mini 4 Cellular with Airplane mode enabled, and Hardware Decode enabled with no lag or issue. Probably doesn't help much for those experiencing issues but perhaps Airplane mode helps.

Reactions: aopisa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic