new member need advice!!

Reaction score
hello guys, I been lurking this forum for weeks and its been very helpful! I had one RC chopper in the past but thats about the only experience i have. i really love FPV and RC flying i want to invest in this platform.

been debating on getting on getting the FC40, but i realized that its really outdated and hard to find locally, online stores are selling them way above retail. i can get the vision 2 on amazon for 800 which is a deal. i still see the FC40 listed on DJIs website for 500 but don't see any info about it so it might be a glitch

the only think that scares me is the flyaway problem i see all over the web! even ones with experience and have done all the preflight checklists have lost their drones. i would be devastated if that happened to me. i have read many "how to avoid fly away' articles and find that you cannot avoid everything. so is phantom drones the only ones having this problem? can some one give me some positive feedback ?

i was also thinking about getting a hubsan FPV just for practice but if its a waste of time and money i want to get straight for the vision and take it very easy in an open area. again the main thing that scares me is the flyaway problem, otherwise i would have ordered it already. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

Welcome aboard. No matter what quadcopter you get, read the manual 5 or 6 times. It reads like stereo instructions, and is really a pain. Ask questions. But read the manual first. Do any required software up grades as required. Follow the preflight checklist. There are many good checklists out there. About 95% of the FlyAway's are operator related. Remember! You are in no hurry to fly. Do everything correctly, and you will be a happy flyer.

About 95% of "flyaways" are pilot error. And I now speak as someone that lost his modded FC40 to a reservoir this past weekend.

I lost mine when I lost track of it at height and neither the home lock nor RTH feature worked. I had tested those before and they worked fine so I put it down to the amount of rebar in the structure affecting the compass. Was that the fault of the FC40? I say no because I should have allowed for that and, frankly, not lost track of it in the first place.

Will I get another Phantom? Not sure yet. Having gained some experience with it I will most likely build my own going forwards, but that has nothing to do with the Phantom which I still regard as an excellent machine and amazingly easy to fly.

As the other user said, do take the time to read the manual and the data on forums / youtube etc. There is a lot out there and it is worth doing that before taking the plunge.

Best of luck in your decision.

I was panicy about fly aways when I bought mine
and iv had ninety flights now all in atti mode
and I have never touched the gps mode yet
not sure if I ever will :s

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member