New Member, looking for good entry place...

Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined the board after lurking around for a little bit, doing a few searches and watching a lot of videos.

I have GoPro 2, 3 black, and 4 black. Looking for a drone that will help take shots to the next level but, I am not looking to spend $2k+ either. I have too many other recreational places that demand money right now...

Thinking Phantom 2 is the way to go. What I am not sure on are;

Gimble requirements - do I really, really need to get that to start or can I add that in later? Without shots would be static view and possibly have some jitter? Recommendations on basic gimbal for the general hobbyist? How much am I looking at spending here?

FPV - do I really need to get that setup to start or add in later as confidence and flight time gets better? Seems the wifi stream from GoPro to handheld interferes with the Phantom and you need this alternative for live stream? What products and expected costs? I'd look at linking to either an iPad or Android (if possible).

What else might I need to consider in this and who are the good forum supporting vendors to search out during the planning and buying process?

Uses - personal hobby foremost - adding some zip to my videos!

Will want to shoot some fly around car shots,

Maybe some events - outside big events - like Woodward Dream Cruise and other FactoryFive Racing and Corvette get togethers - what do I need to know about legal and liability? What about large in-door spaces; issues with GPS or other interference that complicates usage in large convention center areas (like Detroit AutoRama at Cobo Hall for example)?

Maybe some over water and beach scenes from standing on shore, dont' expect to take flight from a boat and going out but - you never know I guess.

What about traveling with the drone setup from Michigan to Nashville, Florida, Hawaii, Aruba - what have folks done to pack and carry through air ports / airline flights?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Jack,

Let me help you out!! I just went through this mess. I wanted to do some good quality amateur video. I too have a Gopro 3+ so I like you have part of the package already. I went through a Phantom 1 thinking it would be OK, NO. Flight time and shaky video, an the ability to not know what your filming. So there are many issues right off the bat. I'm doing nothing professional just want to shoot some good fun stuff. Well I've went through a plethora of problems and solutions. I tried the chinese gimbals on the Ph1 and I had many issues with them. Next I sent the Ph1 back, and got a PH2 with the Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal. That's the minimum I would suggest price on that is roughly 800.00.

Next you must be able to see what you are videoing. I had no luck videoing anything without being able to see through the Gopro which some for of a FPV system is required. I tried "Fat Shark" goggles but had several different issues with them. My main issue for me is safety from crashing. The camera is your only vision source hence I had trouble seeing 360 when I was navigating in close quarters. You can only see what's in front of you and it you turn there is no guarantee that the Ph2 will stay in the exact same place so what was in front of you before you turned to see how close you from different angles may no longer be where you think they are. So I settled on the Black Pearl 7 channel monitor and Immersion 600mw transmitter. With the Black pearl you can look up from the screen to see exactly where your PH2 is.

With some upgraded antennas I can get out over a mile and come up with some really good video in my novice opinion. I'm sure other setups are just as good or better but this works well for me other than a GPS orientation fly off which is a different story.

Here is my first real flight in a short video. Not terrible. Not exciting! LOL [youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6btLrJSfJE[/youtube]

If you view the video don't forget to upgrade your viewing to "HD" once you get to youtube.

Welcome to the Forum
JackBeQuick said:
FPV - do I really need to get that setup to start or add in later as confidence and flight time gets better? Seems the wifi stream from GoPro to handheld interferes with the Phantom and you need this alternative for live stream? What products and expected costs? I'd look at linking to either an iPad or Android (if possible).
You're going to wind up spending $2K any way you go.
Forget the iPad or Android. Personally, I do not like the Vision series because their R/C is on 5.8GHz (less range than the 2.4 GHz on the Non-Vision), and the FPV is over WiFi, 2.4GHz, which is why the R/C is on the 5.8 GHz band. I think that is backwards because with my P2NV setup the FPV is on 5.8GHz and he control is on 2.4GHz. Typically I will lose the FPV before I lose R/C connection.
Like I said, you're going to be spending $2K by the time you buy the drone, a gimbal, an FPV transmitter and receiver, iOSD, a couple of spare batteries and a hard-case for all of your gear. My setup includes a separate receiver and monitor for a director/client. You can't do that easily with a WiFi video link.
But, start with the Phantom, learn to fly it. You can get a cheap GoPro mount for it to take photos and shaky video. Later you can add an FPV system then a gimble. You don't have to buy it all at once, but, you will spend $2K. Then you will start to find all sorts of accessories to buy.

Welcome to the forum!

I wasn't clear if you want to take photos or video or both. If you only want photos, you don't need anything other than a mount for your GoPro. You can use a stick on mount that comes with it or buy a dampening mount. You don't need that for photos, but it will help, a little, for videos.

But, if you want good quality videos, buy a 3D gimbal. It is worth the investment. Without it, your videos will be disappointing.

You need a GPS tracker! If you ever crash aways fom your launch spot, it will absolutely be worth the money. I use a RF-V16 tracker that I bought on EBay.

FPV isn't required. I don't have it yet, but I sure want it! But, if you want to feel like you are really in your Phantom, it does that job very well. Those with a lot of FPV experience and guts, fly with video goggles! I can't imagine that yet, but I feel that someday, I might do the same.

Edit: I just thought of this. The manual supplied with the Phantom isn't sufficient. Be sure and download the full manual. Even it isn't an easy read. But, what I wanted to add is there are sets of decals, for the transmitter, that are sold on Ebay. There are several types. I like the ones that are curved to stick in the stick wells. It also comes with labels for the switches.

These are helpful as you learn. Also, if you see your investment out of control and heading towards the ground, it can cause some to panic. When that occurs, everything you just learned goes out the window and some stand frozen while it crashes. These labels could be very helpful at such a time and they are inexpensive insurance.

Enjoy!

Phantom 2 w/3D gimbal =800.00
Black pearl Monitor =229.00
Transmitter 600mw = 89.00
Battery = 100.00
_________

You have a lot of room to add on, case, antennas, extra props, taller landing gear, etc.....= maybe 300.00?

Still at 1525.00?

SteveMann said:
... their R/C is on 5.8GHz (less range than the 2.4 GHz on the Non-Vision), and the FPV is over WiFi, 2.4GHz, which is why the R/C is on the 5.8 GHz band. I think that is backwards because with my P2NV setup the FPV is on 5.8GHz and he control is on 2.4GHz. Typically I will lose the FPV before I lose R/C connection.
Yes.. it is backwards (and good reason too) compared to the marketed technology evolution supporting SD analog quality video.

At this point in the technology marketed timeline evolution, mass-marketed and WiFi 2.4ghz devices are far more ubiquitous than WiFi 5.8ghz. That means HD type-quality video is on 2.4ghz. So, RC control makes sense away and off the 2.4ghz band.

The DJI 5.8ghz RC system is actually pretty good and more reliable in an urban area since 2.4ghz signal/noise is everywhere.

Having a more-so higher reliable Control link is a Higher Priority than the Video Link.

Good info.

Yes, I want to do more than photos - HD video. I am a member of a few different car clubs and would want to do some aerial video for example around some of the parking or driving events.

I'll re-adjust my budget expectations slightly but, it still looks like I could get into this for under $2k and have a very good level of drone pulled together.

So you can really fly this a mile out and back? Wow - much more than I had expected in that regard.

Jeffro said:
Hey Jack,

Let me help you out!! I just went through this mess. I wanted to do some good quality amateur video. I too have a Gopro 3+ so I like you have part of the package already. I went through a Phantom 1 thinking it would be OK, NO. Flight time and shaky video, an the ability to not know what your filming. So there are many issues right off the bat. I'm doing nothing professional just want to shoot some good fun stuff. Well I've went through a plethora of problems and solutions. I tried the chinese gimbals on the Ph1 and I had many issues with them. Next I sent the Ph1 back, and got a PH2 with the Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal. That's the minimum I would suggest price on that is roughly 800.00.

Next you must be able to see what you are videoing. I had no luck videoing anything without being able to see through the Gopro which some for of a FPV system is required. I tried "Fat Shark" goggles but had several different issues with them. My main issue for me is safety from crashing. The camera is your only vision source hence I had trouble seeing 360 when I was navigating in close quarters. You can only see what's in front of you and it you turn there is no guarantee that the Ph2 will stay in the exact same place so what was in front of you before you turned to see how close you from different angles may no longer be where you think they are. So I settled on the Black Pearl 7 channel monitor and Immersion 600mw transmitter. With the Black pearl you can look up from the screen to see exactly where your PH2 is.

With some upgraded antennas I can get out over a mile and come up with some really good video in my novice opinion. I'm sure other setups are just as good or better but this works well for me other than a GPS orientation fly off which is a different story.

Here is my first real flight in a short video. Not terrible. Not exciting! LOL [youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6btLrJSfJE[/youtube]

If you view the video don't forget to upgrade your viewing to "HD" once you get to youtube.

Just to add to this very helpful information: The Phantom 2 uses 2.4Ghz for the transmitter to Phantom for controlling it. Although your GoPro has a 2.4Ghz WiFi output, you can't use it as it will interfere with the control link. You will need to use 5.8 Ghz for the FPV link.

The vision model uses 5.8 Ghz for the control link and 2.4 Ghz for the video link. But, since you have GoPros, go with the P2, non-vision one, with the 3D gimbal. I bought mine from Amazon. I don't think they are the cheapest, but their return policy is unmatched. (I sold there, but my health shut it down, but I'm planning to start again. I really want to sell DJI products, but they haven't responded aftwe my waiting for weeks. I'm going to try calling next!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20