New member from Wisconsin

Reaction score
Just about ready to order my P4P. Been doing tons of research and decided that's the one I really want. I was a RC fixed wing pilot for 20 some years and due to a heart attack with complications ended up selling all my RC planes. Ended up moving and now not enough room to take up the hobby (obsession) again. Drones seemed like the perfect answer. The main thing I worry about is not being able to see the thing I'm flying most of the time. Anybody else have the same problem and how long did it take you to get used to that? Oh ya, I live way out in the country.

Reactions: dirkclod
Nothing wrong with being in the country .
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Reactions: Joatman1
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

The main thing I worry about is not being able to see the thing I'm flying most of the time. Anybody else have the same problem and how long did it take you to get used to that?
The Phantom does get lost in the sky easily when flying in normal daylight conditions. You could attach Flytron STROBON lights to help spot it in the sky.

The main thing I worry about is not being able to see the thing I'm flying most of the time. Anybody else have the same problem and how long did it take you to get used to that?

Welcome from a Wisconsin expatriate in Minnesota!

I usually start losing visual contact around 800ft, but 800-1000 I can keep track of it with concentration. Harder to see when I'm flying on cloudy days though, tends to blend in against the clouds. If you lose sight of it, you can always use FPV to re-orientate or hit RTH.

Harder to see when I'm flying on cloudy days though, tends to blend in against the clouds. If you lose sight of it, you can always use FPV to re-orientate or hit RTH.

This.
Having the FPV on the smartphone as you are flying is a wonderful thing. As long as you have wide open areas.. I find myself watching my phone more than my drone... to get good camera angles to record. Also helps for when the bird is out of sight or I get tired of squinting. The map on the phone also tells you which way you are pointing... so it is easy to fly back if you feel you are too far out.
As far at the RTH (Return To Home) - this is another wonderful thing. I have purposely flown mine out of sight, relying on the FPV on the phone. BUT... if you go too far away and lose signal - the RTH kicks in. Your bird flies up to 350ft (or whatever you specify...) and comes back to you as the crow flies... and descends safely to the ground. First time you do this it is very scary... but when it actually shows up, it is the coolest thing ever.
Just make sure to take off from an area with nothing over your head... and make sure the waypoint records before launching into orbit. :D

Welcome to the Forum... from one Wisconsinite to another.

Thanks a bunch. As of rite now I'm still not comfortable loosing sight of it. My strobe lights are on the way. I'll get used to it.

Thanks again,
Al

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj